Out of ITB, always, considering getting in, waiting?

This is a pretty broad group here. Some are just buying and drinking, some collecting, some work in retail or restaurants, some work in/own wineries. Are there folks here who are not ITB that have/are considering it? Are there folks that want in to the wine biz but at, let’s say, a casual sort of level?

I guess I am asking because I am curious about how folks on the outside view things and what the desire is generally to be involved. I’m not really asking people to out themselves so maybe this won’t go anywhere but I am curious about the community’s overall make up. I’m not fishing around (although I am always happy to talk to anyone who is serious, I’m no dummy) but I guess I would be interested if folks have gotten involved when they saw an opportunity (Andy Steinman for instance) or if one came up would they put their money where their interests/passions are oriented.

Not saying I know of something but I’m not saying I don’t I guess. Curious in general, curious beyond that perhaps.

Received the emails from the organization doing the funding. Haven’t bitten yet but considering it.

It’s something that is appealing and I’ve certainly mulled it over, but I realize that the transition would be incredibly difficult, especially at this point of my life.

I also realize that the romance of making wine is a far cry from reality. There’s the old saying about the best way to make a small fortune in the wine business is to start with a large one. I don’t even have a small fortune to start with so…

I’m a believer of keeping work & pleasure apart. I like my work- but end of the day, I can say “just business, or just work”. Hobbies or enjoyment come from a very different mental & emotional place. If I started working there, I would surely lose that type of enjoyment.

I have a good friend in sports media. He can’t watch games as a fan anymore.

I will likely get in to some degree or another after I retire from my current job.

I was offered the chance (a handful of years ago) to go into business with someone already ITB and looking to pass the baton on as he neared retirement. Problem is I undoubtedly couldn’t make the same money I currently do, it would be physically harder and potentially more stressful.

Wine is a lovely hobby and long may it stay that way!

This. When I was a younger man I started working in the music biz. Became quite jaded towards music (as a commodity) as a result. Fortunately enough water has passed beneath that bridge so I can once again enjoy listening to tunes.

[cheers.gif]

ITB in “a casual sort of level” and plan to stay, as long as I can stand the commute…

I still daydream of being a winemaker and viticulturist, though it feels like I missed the window. Maybe if I got started right out of college, but now I’ve got a bay area mortgage and family to support. Starting over career wise on the bottom rung wouldn’t be compatible with that, and a few years as a non-commercial garagiste won’t carry much weight. Likewise, owning my own vineyard in the areas that excite me isn’t economically feasible today. That boat has sailed.

Happy to stay on as an amateur who just buys and drinks. Collecting is just a side effect from buying too much wine.

Pretty sure it would take the fun out of it for me. Likely never.

I thought about it long and hard, but decided to make beer instead. I think I made the right decision.

its crossed my mind since i guess i’m almost there. I’m leasing space as an AP at a winery in Santa Maria. I orginally just needed more space to make more “home wine” but when i noticed i could store over 8 barrels in my agreement i went over board and made 4 barrels of santa rita hills pinot. So ya still havent decided if i want to pursue this or not yet and continue leasing and get serious this year. All i know is that after 1 year of commuting 1 day a week to santa maria for enology courses, interships, and tending my barrels im just exhausted. I cant even count how many times ive thrown equipment into my car, driven 3.5 hours to quickly taste and top the barrels then drive back home. 7 hours of driving to spend 45 min with my wine. haha anyways still thinking about the idea but just dont think i could do it with this kind of commute…

I think Dusty Gilson? wife has got in the business since he started posting here, maybe he/she will weigh in.

We have money after buying wine??!! [rofl.gif]

Not saying I know of something but I’m not saying I don’t I guess. Curious in general, curious beyond that perhaps.

Spoken like a true businessman or politician…

I’m perhaps not being incredibly subtle. Somewhat subtle. Too subtle?

Exactly. Why f

up a perfectly good hobby?

To me, investing in whatever enterprise you are asking money for, that would not be getting into the wine business any more than buying Apple stock gets one into the computer biz.

Okay Jim – I’ll be your right hand man, take on tasting/blending chores, etc. for $200k/yr. Deal?

There is certainly more money to be made in booze than in my current job, so that might be appealing. But if I went into it, I would be the younger adopted son of someone like Alain Verset or Bartolo Mascarello, where I could be taken on as an apprentice and family member to craft wines and carry on their legacy. That would be cool.