TN: 2013 Kelley Fox Wines Pinot Noir Mirabai (USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, McMinnville)

• 2013 Kelley Fox Wines Pinot Noir Mirabai - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, McMinnville (5/1/2015)
    Ok, before I tell you of this wine I need to keep something in perspective: I have tasted this wine two months after tasting the 2012, which I loved mind you, but I need to remember this is 12 months younger; it’s youth is only eclipsed by its awesomeness.

Color is pale crimson with the prettiest purple tinged edges. Nose is intense and super pure. It is fragrant and focused. So much stuffing in this; fantastic cranberries, tart strawberries and orange peel. The color defies the palate: this is deft and pure with maybe a wee-bit more ripeness than the '12. Tannins are superfine and hugely structured. Balance on this is amazing. It has a sort of floating quality that defies gravity an reminds me of electrical rain storm… Finish shows all the gorgeous fruits and for long. I think this will surpass the 2012 in one year. It’s a super-serious wine that will enchant and mesmerize you and that is why I am getting more. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Mike, I got a question for you, a rather benign one to satisfy my idle curiosity as I drink my morning joe; what sparked your interest in Kelley Fox wines? I ask 'cuz I have been into Oregon pinot for about ten years as my major wine interest and I don’t think more than a handful of devoted Oregon wine geeks know about Kelley and her wines. I have observed your recent foray into Oregon and it just strikes me as rather strange that you got turned onto her wines. Don’t get me wrong-quite impressive. And while I’m ruminating-beware of forming strong opinions based upon new releases. Better to find someone with a cellar of seven to ten year old good stuff or to find some library releases. For example, last night I opened a '13 Patty Green Estate. It presented very similarly to your description of this wine and it is ATMO, shut down very tight.

My guess is Michael Alberty at Storyteller.

Hi Mitch, good to hear from you on this. I remember reading the description of the 2012 at Chambers Street Wines; certain descriptors stood out and I took a chance on one. I was doing that only at Chambers who I happen to trust. It was fun since I had pretty much given up retail buying altogether, but Pinot in the sub$40 range made it interesting again; I would buy one on a recommendation from Christine there and take it home to drink. After about 12 or so i got a good feel of the direction I was enjoying. I also learned much about my own palate. Most here would only expect me to drink dark ripe Pinot since I am known as a Napa Cab guy, but little did they think how wrong they would be. I pretty much maintain my non-old wine mantra but really seem to like these Pinots with 3-5 maybe 6 years on them tops. Kelley Fox wines sparked something in me and I am unable to go back, nor do I want to. I have purchased directly from her and pretty much wiped Wine Library out on the 12s. From our correspondence, she seems to be a wonderful person and I like supporting wonderful people, in fact I have spent my last 10 years doing so. I was only judging last nights wine by the recent 12s. The 12 seems a bit lighter and open. Another thing is I know NOTHING about vintage when it comes to these wines, only what I taste. I could not tell you if 13s are riper in general etc.

Ron, I have not done any business with Michael Alberty…yet. New York and its environs seem to have much of what I need to explore.

Cheers!

Michael has praised Kelly for some years and I jumped on board this year due the praise on this board. You guys haven’t been wrong yet. [drinkers.gif]

Mike, glad you’ve found Kelley’s wines. She’s doing great work and is so not the usual winemaker. At a recent trade event, I found her at her table ready to pour wine, but instead of chit chatting, she was reading philosophy quietly. I love it.

On the ripeness element of 2012 vs. 2013 in general (not this wine specifically), remember that 2012 was a slightly cooler than normal growing season. It just finished warm and dry. 2013 was the opposite, the summer was very warm and the growing season a week to two weeks ahead of “schedule” all summer long. Until the end when it cooled down and rained quite a bit. Still, the '13s show a lovely fruit component that’s sneaky, maybe dialed back by the late season weather but still there. Perhaps you noticed that quality I’ve seen in my own wines and others from the vintage.

Nice piece about Kelley done by Wine Terroirs.

RT

I reviewed very positively at least a couple of her vintages when I covered Willamette Valley for The Wine Advocate. I visited the winery which she shares with Scott Paul and liked her as well. She reminded me of the Jimi Hendrix song.

Thanks for posting the article Richard.
One of the reasons I buy people’s wines is the connection and their story. [cheers.gif]
Oh, and the wine needs to be good!

I found out about the winery while looking at the book preview for Winemakers of the Willamette Valley on Amazon.com. I went to the web sites of all of the producers listed in the table of contents and of all of them, Kelley Fox seemed the most interesting. She has a writing style that to me is unique among the wine sites I’ve visited and the way she described her wines made me want to try them.

I’m glad I did - I’ve had three so far (2011 and 2012 Mirabai and 2009 Momtazi Pinot Noirs) and all are excellent - and also like the enticing way she described them! I plan to stay on the list and keep buying - the wines are great and Ms. Fox is also very personable.

Thought I would bring this thread back since I just tried the 13 and wow is this a delicious bottle, slightly riper than the 12 but talk about great balance imho. Need to sign up for this producer. Carry on with the regular scheduled programming.

She’s a lovely person, and it shows effortlessly in her craft.

Plus 1 on what Todd said

Met Kelley at her temporary winery yesterday - she’s tucked back in a corner at Maysara winery outside of McMinnville. Took a flyer after reading this thread and really glad I did as she is the real deal, so very passionate about what she does in a very introverted way. Everybodys description of her is spot on. She spent the first 20 minutes telling us about herself and her passions. She has an old world palate and drinks mostly euro wines - thought it was interesting that she does not drink her own wines at home or anywhere except maybe at the winery. After thinking about that I think I would be the same way - it might drive me crazy critiquing them and looking for flaws.

We tasted the 15’s out of barrel and got a wide assortment of flavors and profiles and all of them were so delicate, pure and full of promise. Some were half way thru malo, so a bit rough, but you could tell this will be promising stuff.

She opened the 14 Mirabai and it was clamped down pretty tight and the 13 Maresh which was showing a bit better. I took a bottle of the 13 Mirabal to dinner last night and all I can say is this a great wine! So fresh and subtle and came alive with an assortment of food. Seemed to bounce around all night with earth, ripe cherries, forest, minerals and plenty of acidity to keep it fresh. Very light bodied and clean.

Kelley knows what she is doing and it shows in her wines. It was a delight to meet her and spend some time with her.

Took the 13 Maresh to dinner at Le Pigeon last night and what a wine! Pours light colored and a bit hazy. If ever there was a perfect food wine this was it on this night. So very subtle yet full of nuance and character. Perfect for a 5 course tasting of French gourmet cuisine. Dishes started out light with 2 fish courses then got a little richer and wine was a star with all. Very elegant and pure - a perfect wine on this night.
Tasted wine earlier at winery and was not as impressive. A food wine for sure.
While the Mirabai is a very good wine, the Maresh is 1 or 2 levels up - I can’t stop thinking about it!

Tom, good stuff. Thanks for the share.

2013 Kelley Fox Wines Pinot Noir Mirabai - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, McMinnville (1/9/2016)
Light ruby with garnet rim, red berry nose which brings me back to the '10s with some stony mineral. On opening there is some tingly acid the precedes the fruit which is followed by some leathery, earthy tannins. I will give another night for development, a few rough edges, but the possibilities look very favorable. Wonderful with food, waiting will be it’s own reward. Each night has shown evolution resulting in the third night a sublime well balanced, restrained pinot with light fruit, earth and leather, some sorrel on the finish. (92 pts.)

• 2013 Kelley Fox Wines Pinot Noir Mirabai - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (5/6/2019)
    Light garnet with a soft strawberry nose. Lightly tart fruit with a medium body, definitely AFWE with perfect balance. Love the '13s when they hit their stride and this is really lovely on night one. (92 pts.)

With two more years of age and a night later this has the lovely sorrel notes from my early years on the farm, out in the fields and woods with my cousins sampling the sorrel, huckleberries and other natural fruits and berries grown in nature’s abundance. [wink.gif]

I served the Barbie Pinot blanc for Mother’s Day. This is a lovely, refreshing wine. Very nice.