Napa Syrah Recommendations

Wife and I are returning to Napa in July and she has begun favoring Syrahs. In the interest or marital harmony, I’m looking for recommendations for great Syrah producers, preferably in the $100 range or under.

Thanks,
Michael

Araujo’s is fantastic but you probably won’t be able to taste at the winery. If you see it on a restaurant’s list I’d say go for it.

Also, Lagier Meredith, Truchard, Calder, Cakebread, Plumpjack and Corison Helios (disclaimer, I work for Corison).

I’ve been loving Sky’s Syrahs. I think they’re better known for their Zinfandels and it’s a small family operation, but I’ve had the '10 a couple of times, and it’s awesome. Not sure why they don’t get more love.

Nothing on that side of the mountain, but were you to be willing to travel, hitting copain, bedrock, and seeing if paul will host you at halcon, would be my best bets for syrah in that region.

Paul
I am in Napa (Rutherford) to be exact and would be happy to have you try a few of the Syrah’s I produce. I source most of my fruit from Sonoma but make it and work in Napa. Shoot me a pm if your interested.
Macario

Michael, try out Hess Collection they make a very nice Napa Syrah and it’s a fabulous property to visit.

If your really seriously getting into Syrah you have got to try Cabot once you get home from Napa.

Enfield
Lagier Meredith
Quivet
Outpost
Campesino

Lagier Meredith +1
Myriad
Quivet
Apsara
Campesino
Benevolent Neglect

Why spend $100 or $50 for that matter if you don’t have to?

Keever is another

Lagier Meredith +2

Depends on the style you like, but they’re the best Syrah from Napa that I’ve come across. If you like bigger, richer Syrahs with a good deal of oak, then LM won’t be what you’re looking for. Otherwise, see if you can make an appointment with Carole and Steve and drive up the mountain to their vineyard. Really nice people and great Syrah, year after year.

Myriad and Quivet.

Lagier Meredith on the Napa side (haven’t had Macario’s, would be fun to try some time). Otherwise head over to Sonoma, where there are a number of possibilities: Copain (get an appointment, easy, and a beautiful place to visit); Wind Gap in Sebastopol.

Those are a few places to possibly visit (well, Lagier Meredith is kind of a hard visit because of its location, but might be possible if you arrange in advance). Additionally, check out the Syrahs made by Peay and Halcon.

You kind of need to decide where on the spectrum of Syrah you want to play - or maybe all the way from one end to the other. Most people will have a preference for one end or the other, i.e., bigger, riper wines, vs. more restrained, old-world styled wines.

You’ve asked for Napa under 100 bucks. So rightly or wrongly I’m guessing you want a hedonistic syrah.
100 bucks will buy you a lot in the world of syrah. And if you let us go outside of Napa, and maybe to france, you can probably get your mind blown pretty good. That’s a longer ride I suppose.

But in Napa, I’d try the Plumpjack, Outpost, and maybe see if Alpha Omega will sell you something from Krupp Brothers, or if Krupp themselves will.

Quivet and Myriad may be open and have syrah if you check in advance.

I have an inordinate fondness for the Stag’s leap and Miner syrah and petite syrah wines!

If you are on Spottswoode’s list, they make a tasty syrah you may be able to pop in and try.

I would be happy with any of those!

Someone mentioned petite sirah - does your wife like PS? If so maybe visit Quixote (nicely balanced and not an over-the-top, or overly-extracted PS style).

For syrah +1 on Krupp Brothers (Black Bart) and Miner - and as many others have mentioned Lagier Meredith.

Does Outpost really make a Syrah?
I thought they only made a PS

Not a Napa wine, but I’d recommend tracking down an Arrowood Saralee’s Vineyard. The mid 90’s vintages were stellar (94 in particular was very heavy on the bacon/smoke character, which I absolutely loved.)

I’ve only had one vintage since 2000, and I don’t recall exactly what it was but it was quite good, and far below the price point you’re looking for.

This will spark much debate, but the 94 Saralee’s in a blind tasting fared VERY well against current release Syrah’s from SQN way back then.

Regards,
Andy K

Shafer (Relentless)
Biale
Pride
Kongsgaard
Venge
Behrens

Lagier + 1
I also really enjoyed Tor’s Rock Syrah. I believe you can taste it (as well as Tor’s other wines) at Maisonry in Yountville.

Alban