2012 Ovid Hexameter

Had interest in this Cab Franc from Pritchard Hill until I saw the $300/btl price tag with shipping. I like their style but would need a new gig to partake.

I was also…impressed…by this price tag. The handful of wines I’ve had from Ovid have all been very good, and I have no issue with a winery charging any amount it likes for their product, but this makes the 05 flagship feel like a bargain at the $175 it originally cost.

Don’t overlook the Syrah at 150+
Pass for me

If you want Cab Franc, and want to spend money, by some Rougeard. But of course I’m fairly certain the two are literally worlds apart in style, so whichever floats your boat.

+1. Was exactly my (jaw-dropping) reaction. I’ve liked most everything I’ve had from Ovid, and Andy makes killer Franc, but not for $300. Pass

I popped one of the '09 Hexameters a couple years back and it was excellent, but I am on the fence for this. Kinda hoping it sells out so the temptation is removed. For those looking for a feel of the Cab Franc style, I highly recommend the 2005 Experiment K1.5

I snapped up the Syrah I was offered. Had a bottle of the '09 recently and I really enjoyed it.

The prices on the Experiments (and the other bottlings) have really increased, but I am happy for them and their success. I have only been a sporadic buyer since the increases.

BTW, the olive oil from the property is outstanding (though also aggressively priced!)

Yeah, that innagural 05 went from average to phenomenal in ten years. This is a great property with singular terroir and excellent wine making. Unfortunately, it took me 6-7 years to realize this, and now, I’m out priced even in consideration of this project’s potential.

Kapcsandy fans looking for something new to cellar, look here. I’m out at these prices though.

Sweet Jebus…

$300 for a Cab Franc? That’s pricey. I love Cab Franc and I’d love to give it a try, but I can’t pay that. I signed up for their list a while ago, I got offered allocation very quickly and didn’t buy, not because I wasn’t interested, but because I was offered cabs and I was really only looking for the Cab Franc based Experiments. I never got another offer after I passed on that one. Oh well…

Keep in mind that it goes for even more on the secondary market - we’ve sold several of the '09’s.

My situation as well. I’d love to buy this wine but it is even beyond any splurge consideration.

Got the release letter for Stags Leap Wine Cellars Cask 23 today, $245/btl. Ouch again.

Not that I’m a Napa Cab buyer, but I actually love when producers sky their prices so high that I’m not even remotely tempted. Takes all the pain out of passing.

+1

And that would be the opposite situation - Cask 23 barely supports half that price in the secondary market.

I was there a week ago and we had the '12 Experiment V6.2 which is a blend of CS, CF and PV. It was really good. We also had the '12 Napa Valley and bought an '11 Napa Valley ($225) to go for lunch at Farmstead. They were all very good wines, but the V6.2 was my favorite. I can’t speak to the '12 Hexameter per se as I did not try it, but based on the other wines I tasted, I would bet it is very good too.