TN: Continuum 2011 Napa Valley Red

Best 2011 Napa wine I have experienced, and I think the best wine from this project so far. Has none of the green/pepper/rot flavors (to borrow Tom Hill’s style) that can mar the vintage, particularly closer to the valley floor.

Even though Bordeaux is (obviously) the home of the Bordeaux blend, I think California is the best place to demonstrate how The Cabs, Merlot, Petit Verdot and Malbec actually work together, because there are some outstanding mono-variety examples for contrast.

This blend is suave, refined, elegant, stylish and cultured. Aromas of blackberry, blackcurrant and black cherry. No heat or oak to intrude on the fruit. Superb purity in the nose, but that Only hints at how beautiful and pure this wine shows in the mouth.

This is seamless and spherical. All the wine’s components seem in perfect harmony. Great energy, Very pure dark fruit, with an airy texture and silkiness that I’m going to say comes from hillside Merlot and Cab Franc. Where so many Napa wines are all about “block busting,” this shimmers like sunlight on Lake Hennessey.

Jim, can you tell any wines that compare to this wine? At $175 I can’t afford to just try it.

Do you like Schrader, or do you prefer Maybach? Schrader or Insignia?

Otto,

I have, sadly, no experience with Schrader.

I like Maybach - my last recent note here was about 05 Materium, which I liked a lot, but needs time to show its best. It was the wine on my mind when I was thinking about 100% Cab S. Vs Continuum. This (Continuum) is a better wine young.

Haven’t tried recent young Insignia. Wouldn’t bet against it.

All that said, this a lovely example of Napa wine that dodges the classic quibbles (IMHO).

and Otto, they have a 2nd wine which is less expensive. I love Continuum; buyer since inaugural vintage. I picked that one up from Carissa at Bouchon Bakery. It’s a very happy memory.

I am a big fan of Continuum. As vintages have gone, the cab franc has become more and more prevalent in this wine. So while 2005 was primarily Tokalon (Mondavi’s) - the recent vintages are all estate fruit. Tim has flat out told me on visits he loves DV Maya and that it influences him. So if you have had Maya, or Ovid, that would be your best comparison - though they are certainly more expensivle than Continuum. If not, Chappellett is only a few miles away - and stylistically not too far off - though i think Chappellett is a bit more forward.

What is their second wine called? I can’t find it on their website.

Novicium