Do people in your office think you have a drinking problem?!

Based on the countless cases that come to my office, I do get some interesting looks as I’m regularly using a dolly to wheel my stuff out. Most know at this point that its a hobby and I’m a drinker/collector, but that still doesn’t change the looks that come when shipping season comes around and they just can’t fathom someone purchasing that much stuff.

Anyone else…?

No. Since I have a wine fridge in my office, my partners seems to wanna hang out at my office!

I have had some “I wanna party with you” comments.

My CEO is a larger collector than I am…for every case delivered for me, he’s getting 5-10. Folks around the office are more curious than critical.

I don’t know. I usually arrive when they’re out to lunch and then I lock my door and spend the afternoon sleeping on the floor.

Hmm I never actually have my wine shipments sent to the office. I feel like I get weird looks whenever I bring alcoholic beverages into the office let alone a box that says alcohol inside being catered from the support staff

People in my office definitely think I have a problem - not sure if they think it’s a drinking one or a psychological one.
Come to think of it, I am not sure either…

I think my students would think it was funny if I had my wine packages arrive at school. But my teacher friends are surprised by how much people spend on wine. I have been caught ordering from my phone, stepping out from a meeting to call a shop.

absolutely. So do the FedEx and UPS guys.

I’ve had a few “When’s the party?” comments. I don’t have that much delivered but even a single box garners attention from the troops. If I were an employee rather than an owner I’d probably feel more self-conscious about it and would probably look for another way.

They think I have a buying problem. They’re right! And I can’t have things delivered to work.

UPS Guy thinks we host a party every night!

My coworkers are usually so high on OxyContin that they don’t notice.

Yes, they think I have a problem of taste because I do not like beer.

I don’t have wine delivered to work, but I am sure it would be a catalyst for many comments and opinions if I did. Probably more along the lines of how much I spend rather than how much I drink, since, on Wall Street, coming in late due to a hangover every once in a while is still a badge of honor and proof that you fit in.

What’s an office?

neener

Ha! My coworkers know I’m a wine guy but every time I think I routinely drink a bit more than I should, I go out with them and wow can they throw back a few pints like it’s nothing while I’m finishing one. That being said, I can’t get deliveries at work and I definite have a buying problem.
UPS/FedEx is another matter entirely…

I hope not. They know I have a buying problem/obsession. UPS and Fedex drivers all notice the start of wine shipping season; they know (fear?) what’s coming that month.

Turning this toward a positive, why not expose your colleagues to the beauty and social side of wine? I actually started my quest of learning about finer wines through a wine-tasting group that I organized as a young associate. We did a tasting every other month, in a conference room. Others joined. We’ve since had many wine socials and parties, and we’ve even had local retailers come over with their selections (hosted by their wine buyers) and paired them with catered cuisine. A great way to bond with your colleagues. I will open any bottle with a colleague, after hours of course.

They actually have concluded very clearly that I DON’T have a drinking problem, at least partly because of the boxes and how carefully I manage them. I only get shipments at certain times of year, I know which boxes are coming before they get here, and I care how warm it is and how long it will take to bring the wine home in my car. Their conclusion is that nobody with a drinking problem could be that meticulous about their beverage of choice.

They’ve reached the right conclusion for the wrong reasons, but I’m not correcting them.

Sadly, none of them show the slightest interest in learning more.

I am now buying some wine with my FedEx guy. His wife digs tannic reds.