ngennaro

SeaSmoke 2013 is Live

#2 Post by ngennaro » April 6th, 2015, 8:51 pm

Anybody tried them?
norman

Chris.Martin

SeaSmoke 2013 is Live

#3 Post by Chris.Martin » April 6th, 2015, 10:07 pm

It was nice to see that my allocation included "Botella" and Magnums of "Ten".

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

SeaSmoke 2013 is Live

#4 Post by Scott Brunson » April 7th, 2015, 10:26 am

Only 3 posts for a SS release
Lo how the mighty have fallen.
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

SeaSmoke 2013 is Live

#5 Post by Chris Seiber » April 7th, 2015, 10:48 am

Good thing for Steve's post - I had missed the release email two weeks ago and my allocation window had closed. But I contacted them and they made it work.

Bought two Botella, four Southing, one Southing magnum. I'm comfortable being uncool.

T. Melloni
GCC Member
GCC Member

SeaSmoke 2013 is Live

#6 Post by T. Melloni » April 7th, 2015, 12:07 pm

This was one of my first "mailing list" purchases. They did not ship to my state so I shipped the wines to my dad. He brought them to me a few weeks after arrival and left them at my house. When I opened the box a few days later, there was a dated 10 oz. glass bottle of Coca Cola in one of the bottle spaces in the styro shipper. I laughed thinking that my dad included it as a joke. Turns out, he had no idea about the wine but was just returning to me something from my room I lived in as a child where I had collected some original Coca cola bottles.

I enjoyed the wines but the shipping was a hassle so my account went dormant.
Tho m@s (sometimes); You can call me T.

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

SeaSmoke 2013 is Live

#7 Post by larry schaffer » April 7th, 2015, 12:56 pm

Curious as to what the current pricing is for these releases? I'm curious whether they are continuing to inch up or not . . .

Cheers!
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Steve L Gellman
GCC Member
GCC Member

SeaSmoke 2013 is Live

#8 Post by Steve L Gellman » April 7th, 2015, 1:12 pm

2013 Sea Smoke 'Botella' Pinot Noir
Price : $42.00

2013 Sea Smoke 'Southing' Pinot Noir
Price : $60.00

2013 Sea Smoke 'Ten' Pinot Noir
Price : $82.00

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

SeaSmoke 2013 is Live

#9 Post by larry schaffer » April 7th, 2015, 2:09 pm

are these wine club prices? Are they different prices for wine club members vs non members?
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Steve L Gellman
GCC Member
GCC Member

SeaSmoke 2013 is Live

#10 Post by Steve L Gellman » April 7th, 2015, 2:25 pm

larry schaffer wrote:are these wine club prices? Are they different prices for wine club members vs non members?

I'm not aware of any club

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

SeaSmoke 2013 is Live

#11 Post by Scott Brunson » April 7th, 2015, 6:32 pm

larry schaffer wrote:are these wine club prices? Are they different prices for wine club members vs non members?
Larry, these are just mailing list prices I think. And while SS is not my cup of whatever, I can really admire the fact that these are about the same prices from when I was on the list 4 or 5 years ago.
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

Dusty Gillson

SeaSmoke 2013 is Live

#12 Post by Dusty Gillson » April 8th, 2015, 7:19 am

I have ordered from them 3 years running now, and didn't get any kind of email announcing the release this year. I don't know what gives. . . maybe because I passed on the late allocation of the sparkler last fall?

Really what happened was they made my decision on whether to buy or not really easy.
Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever. - Aristophanes

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

SeaSmoke 2013 is Live

#13 Post by larry schaffer » April 8th, 2015, 7:29 am

Scott Brunson wrote:
Larry, these are just mailing list prices I think. And while SS is not my cup of whatever, I can really admire the fact that these are about the same prices from when I was on the list 4 or 5 years ago.
Agreed entirely. I was surprised to see pricing holding steady, especially with so many others around here constantly raising prices. I do believe production is up as they've planted more acres, but still, it's nice to see the pricing hold.

Any tasting notes on the recent vintage? Just curious to see the path that Don Schroeder is taking . . .

Cheers!
larry schaffer
tercero wines

AndrewH

SeaSmoke 2013 is Live

#14 Post by AndrewH » April 8th, 2015, 8:56 am

Dusty Gillson wrote:I have ordered from them 3 years running now, and didn't get any kind of email announcing the release this year. I don't know what gives. . . maybe because I passed on the late allocation of the sparkler last fall?

Really what happened was they made my decision on whether to buy or not really easy.
Not sure, and relatively new to the Sea Smoke list, but my impression is that they have a staggered release so that people higher up the priority list (based on their points system) get first crack at offerings. If there's wine left after that, then it goes to the next tranche and so on.

Perhaps someone who has received the offer (I have not, despite having received an allocation last year) can confirm whether there is a time limit to place the order.
Andrew H e i m e r t

Chris.Martin

SeaSmoke 2013 is Live

#15 Post by Chris.Martin » April 8th, 2015, 3:36 pm

AndrewH wrote:
Dusty Gillson wrote:I have ordered from them 3 years running now, and didn't get any kind of email announcing the release this year. I don't know what gives. . . maybe because I passed on the late allocation of the sparkler last fall?

Not sure, and relatively new to the Sea Smoke list, but my impression is that they have a staggered release so that people higher up the priority list (based on their points system) get first crack at offerings. If there's wine left after that, then it goes to the next tranche and so on.

Perhaps someone who has received the offer (I have not, despite having received an allocation last year) can confirm whether there is a time limit to place the order.
Per my allocation email:

ALLOCATION EXPIRES
To reserve your allocation, please login to your membership page at www.seasmoke.com within two (2) weeks. Upon expiration, unclaimed allocations will be reassigned to members of our waiting list.

S.Homewood

SeaSmoke 2013 is Live

#16 Post by S.Homewood » April 8th, 2015, 5:53 pm

Same exact thing happened to me. I had zero interested in the fall allocation. I have emailed them twice concerning this latest release. Would be nice to get a response.
$ t e v e H 0 m e w 0 0 d

JBierly

SeaSmoke 2013 is Live

#17 Post by JBierly » April 8th, 2015, 6:25 pm

I didn't order anything in the fall and received my allocation about a month ago. So who knows? Maybe they are just going down the list.

I recently had a bottle of the sparkler. Really well done.
Jack

K Krahenbuhl
GCC Member
GCC Member

SeaSmoke 2013 is Live

#18 Post by K Krahenbuhl » April 13th, 2015, 12:19 pm

I got my allocation today in what must be the second wave. Pretty large, but no Botella.

10 Southing
8 Ten
1 Mag of each
6 Chard
Kyle

ericskitei

SeaSmoke 2013 is Live

#19 Post by ericskitei » April 13th, 2015, 3:17 pm

Got mine as well. Same allocation. It appears its not first come first served but a 2 week guaranteed allocation window.

AndrewH

SeaSmoke 2013 is Live

#20 Post by AndrewH » April 13th, 2015, 3:27 pm

ericskitei wrote:Got mine as well. Same allocation. It appears its not first come first served but a 2 week guaranteed allocation window.
Although at least for me some say "quantities limited" - not sure if that means within the 2 week window it's first come first served.
Andrew H e i m e r t

ericskitei

SeaSmoke 2013 is Live

#21 Post by ericskitei » April 13th, 2015, 3:30 pm

My Mags say that, the others don't

Bruce Rudman
GCC Member
GCC Member

SeaSmoke 2013 is Live

#22 Post by Bruce Rudman » April 13th, 2015, 4:44 pm

I think this must be a third wave as my offer came in mid-March. Sounds like similar allocations except I was allocated one Botella which I had not been allocated the past four vintages.
Bruce

AndrewH

SeaSmoke 2013 is Live

#23 Post by AndrewH » April 19th, 2015, 6:42 pm

Putting aside everything else, does is rankle anyone other than me that Sea Smoke takes payment in April but isn't shipping until November/December?

I realize they probably don't want to ship late Spring/summer, but that's a result of timing their release to mid-Spring. The other mailing list wines all seem to manage to put out offers in early Fall for late Fall delivery or winter/early Spring for Spring shipment . . . either way, they're not sitting on my money for six+ months.
Andrew H e i m e r t

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

SeaSmoke 2013 is Live

#24 Post by Chris Seiber » April 20th, 2015, 11:52 am

I can see your perspective on it, Andrew. It's a bit like buying futures from Rhys or Scherrer; you pay six months before you get the wine (though those are different in that it's just one option, and you can pay more to get those wines at the time they're ready to ship out too).

You just have to decide whether that's a deal killer or not for you. I don't really care, myself - the time value of 5-6 months of money isn't a big deal, and I don't want to add the bottles to storage or to open them sooner anyway. I also appreciate that they just make a few wines and offer them (with the slight exception of a few secondary items in the fall) once per year, which is a lot less brain damage than trying to sort through the places that make 2-3 offers per year and have 20 different SVD wines to pick from.

But again, I do see your point. They are getting to hold your money for six months, just because.

AndrewH

SeaSmoke 2013 is Live

#25 Post by AndrewH » April 20th, 2015, 12:06 pm

Chris Seiber wrote:
But again, I do see your point. They are getting to hold your money for six months, just because.
Yeah, it's not a big deal, especially with interest rates about 0% and I expect a pretty low risk of non-performance from an established winery.

I suppose it's probably an advantage for anyone who stores off-site (heck - some might be happy with shipping in two years); but I bear no such costs.
Andrew H e i m e r t

AdamLeigh

SeaSmoke 2013 is Live

#26 Post by AdamLeigh » April 21st, 2015, 7:38 am

I had been on the list for a while but didn't purchase anything, so I fell off. I requested to get back on the active list and just received my allocation of

4 Southing
2 Ten
4 Chard

I agreed to a wine buying moratorium and then this offer came in and wondering if it's worth picking up some Southing (not sure about $90 per bottle [with shipping] for the Ten). I already got some Kosta Browne and VML this spring and wondering if this is worth it. The VML was actually one of our favorites from a recent trip to Sonoma/RRV and priced at 48 for the high end/SV stuff minus 25% and free shipping wine club discount, making it basically half the price of SS. Looks like from the comments here that SS has fallen from favor

AndrewH

SeaSmoke 2013 is Live

#27 Post by AndrewH » April 21st, 2015, 8:04 am

AdamLeigh wrote: Looks like from the comments here that SS has fallen from favor
I wouldn't make a buying decision based on whether a wine is still hip with Berserkers. Tastes evolve; tastes get bored with the same thing. Who knows . . . looking at Cellar Tracker, the review scores over the last few years for Sea Smoke wines are pretty consistent, so I don't think there's a drop-off in quality.
Andrew H e i m e r t

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

SeaSmoke 2013 is Live

#28 Post by Chris Seiber » April 21st, 2015, 10:28 am

I agree with Andrew. Sea Smoke, both in the style of the wine and just as a brand, isn't favored in the current fashion and prevailing point of view on WB (which is fine and I don't say that derisively), but I wouldn't confuse that for people having turned against it because the wine has dropped off in quality.

The only real change at Sea Smoke was that Kris Curran left and was replaced by a new winemaker (Peter Work's son, I don't remember his first name) effective as of the 2007 vintage. From 2007 forward, the wines show a bit crunchier fruit, a little less ripeness and oak. But the change was modest, not dramatic.

AdamLeigh

SeaSmoke 2013 is Live

#29 Post by AdamLeigh » April 21st, 2015, 10:49 am

Think I will go in for 3 Southing and give it a shot.

Return to “Wine Talk”