TN: 10 Castello di Bossi [Chianti Classico]

10 Castello di Bossi [Chianti Classico] This is the normale bottling, not the riserva. Label says unfiltered, and 14% abv, which shows on the legs, but its medium bodied at best. Color is light ruby to me, very clear, no gunk yet. I quite like the nose - cinnamon, chai, and dulce de luche. It’s easy to drink: it has a lighter body compared to the heavy wines I usually drink; it makes this something to enjoy while prepping, dining, and cleaning up. We had it with spaghetti and a meat sauce, and it goes well with a tomato based, acidic dish. Finish is a modest, but likable, 15 seconds. I get some strawberry on the palate. I saw this estate was periodically discussed on WB, and picked it up because it seems to a be a standard bearer for traditional, widely available, and reasonable Chianti. I’ll put the other bottle away for a few years. B+

I liked it better than Bob Hughes did, but I have lower standards than he does for Tuscan wines! Here’s a link to his note.

I just had the 2016 Castello di Bossi [Chianti Classico] with bucatini & a beef tomato ragu. This is the normale bottling, not the riserva. 14.5% abv, which shows on the legs, but its medium bodied at best. Again the color is light ruby to me, very translucent. On this vintage I pick up rosewater on the nose, some baking spice on the palate. I don’t detect any sweaty/saddle/leather notes. It’s super gluggable and pleasing. Finish is a good 20 seconds here. This would be good for those who want a normale that’s a traditional, available, and fairly priced. This might be better than 2010, although I didn’t have them side by side, but just going off recollection and looking at my notes. I’d give this a B+, with a drink now kind of guideline.

Chianti seems to be making better wines than I remember from a generation ago.

Have you had many from this producer? Just got an email about the 2016 Gran Selezione Chianti Classico and it sounds like a decent deal at $35 / bottle. Might take a flyer but always looking for feedback and only one note in CT.

I haven’t tried Bossi’s flagship bottlings. My general feel with all that, which extends to Brunello, is that its not some automatic ‘good thing’ to me that more wood, more time in barrel etc. is better. I get that it earns more money for the producer, and perhaps they are jealous of the rates their Montalcino neighbors command if prices are a proxy for glory, but part of what I like about these is that they can be less jacked out than my usual big reds.