Figgins Toil Oregon 2013

It looks like Figgins has decided the 2013 pinot is not up to par. Here is the copy from the email that just dropped:

"I ventured to craft Pinot Noir in Oregon with full knowledge of how challenging, and indeed heartbreaking, this fickle grape can be. By now, every Pinot lover knows that 2013 in Oregon was a weather roller coaster.

The ‘13 Toil we made was good. I can even say I’m proud of it, all things considered. What I can’t say is that it is exceptional and worthy of the Figgins Family emblem and thus the quality you, the consumer, have come to expect in all of our wines including Leonetti Cellar, FIGGINS, and now Toil Oregon. Despite the smashing success that was our inaugural release of the 2012, I have made the painful decision not to release a 2013 Toil Oregon Pinot Noir. I feel like our team learned a great deal about how to vinify Pinot Noir in future weather-challenged vintages. Fortunately, some of the Pinot veterans out there made some really solid 2013 wines. The great news is that our 2014 in barrel is stellar and so the second release of Toil Oregon will happen next year around this time.

I thank you for the continued support of our vinous endeavors and for the trust you place in us with every purchase that we are delivering utmost quality to your cellar and your table."

Add one to the “never heard of them before” pile.

RT

Surely you’re heard of Leonetti, right, Richard?

Same here, and with the CT average price of $50 for a WV blend wine - Eola-Amity and Ribbon Ridge mix - I’m not likely to try it any time soon either. Time for another Garagiste mystery wine?

I think it’s the winemaker for Leonetti starting his own family label no?

Figgins is his last name and the name on his Cab.
Toil is the Pinot.

the 2010 i tried was just average… not worth the price for me.

That said, i doubt it’ll be Garagiste mystery wine anytime soon as they sell out to the mailing list i believe.

Yes, it is the winemaker behind Leonetti and Figgins, and Toil is his label for Willamette Valley Pinot Noir.

I applaud his move. He didn’t bash the vintage (too much), took responsibility and ultimately did the right thing for his brand. Unfortunately, more winemakers aren’t in the financial position to do this.

The OP (quoted from Figgins) says 2012 was the ‘inaugural release’. It also says they are not going to release the 2013, so I was referring to that - i’m assuming it will be sold to someone, just not by Toil.

I do agree with Paul, he didn’t bash the year really, just chalked it up to experience.

2013 wasn’t a bad year here.

“Fortunately, some of the Pinot veterans out there made some really solid 2013 wines.” Implying what, that most didn’t? Or that nothing “exceptional” was made? That’s kind of the vibe I’m getting here. maybe it’s just me. I would be curious to see what 2013s he has tasted so far, especially given how early on in the process we are. Kind of reminds me of Matt Kramer’s early pronouncement about the 2007 vintage based on a small handful of early releases. I would have been more impressed if Figgins had merely said “you know what, the wine I made isn’t up to my standards and we learned some lessons about how to deal with some rain in the future.” Which is good, because we do get that from to time in these parts.

Bashing? No. Damning with faint praise?

My guess is there is very little overlap between people who closely follow Figgins and those who closely follow OR PN. I wouldn’t worry about it.

Michael

I’m over it already. :smiley: I wish him the best of luck in 2014.

Also remember that this is a Cab/Merlot producer from a warm region making Pinot, so his idea of ‘not good enough’ is relative. Of course he released 12’ and then 14’, I think it’s telling.

While their wines are too much for my meager budget, I applaud a desert producer to tackle the Pinot palate of the wetlands. A lot of us just like colored dirty water. [snort.gif]

Looks like he made an Oregon pinot in 2011 and didn’t release that one either due to rot issues. Must be nice to have the money to learn on the fly and not need to recoup any $. Makes me even more impressed that so many winemakers in OR make excellent wines in such different climatic conditions, year in, year out.

http://essentialnorthwestwines.com/chris-figgins-makes-oregon-pinot-noir/

Could a Quilceda oriented WV PN be next?

RT

There already are some.

We got to try the 2011 and I was a fan of it - quite elegant, from what I understood the issue was there was so little to go around. My wife and I like his estate red but have yet to purchase Toil, think it’s great to see WA winemakers expanding to other varietals & styles but so far what I have tasted, while good, isn’t special enough for the price.

I do want to know who bought it in bulk though to try and score a few for cut price.

Anyone get a chance to taste the 2014 Toil PN? I received an offer email this morning and would like other’s impressions…