Which Carlisle are you drinking?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Which Carlisle are you drinking?

#1751 Post by Rich Brown »

Dale McClaran wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 11:48 am I had the 18 Mancini with a cool 2 hr decant. First Mancini and very impressed, wide open and will drink well early, generous generous zin fruit. Typical Carlisle balance and energy. A very fun Zin.
Nice note Dale - love hearing that! I snagged one of these as well (Mike's description sounded amazing) and am looking forward to it!

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1752 Post by Rich Brown »

Has anyone opened a 13 Rossi Ranch Grenache lately? I pulled it from the cellar for tonight but it's my last one.

*Edit. I was also eyeing a 13 Montafi zin. Carlisle website say drink through 2021 but recent CT reviews indicate it has plenty of room to grow (which would have been my thought given past vintages)

dsimmons
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1753 Post by dsimmons »

Rich Brown wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 12:09 pm Has anyone opened a 13 Rossi Ranch Grenache lately? I pulled it from the cellar for tonight but it's my last one.

*Edit. I was also eyeing a 13 Montafi zin. Carlisle website say drink through 2021 but recent CT reviews indicate it has plenty of room to grow (which would have been my thought given past vintages)
Based on my experience you won't go wrong with either of these delicious wines. That said, my experience in not too recent. 4/20 for the Rossi and 8/19 for the Montafi.
D o n

dsimmons
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1754 Post by dsimmons »

2010 Carlisle Zinfandel Dry Creek Valley - USA, California, Sonoma County, Dry Creek Valley (1/22/2021)
WOW! i wish I had the patience to allow my Carlisle zins to age longer. This was my last bottle of this beauty. Loads of elegant dark fruits. Great balance. Just all round delicious. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Not too many $40 bottles deliver thus much pleasure.
D o n

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1755 Post by Rich Brown »

dsimmons wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 1:25 pm
Rich Brown wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 12:09 pm Has anyone opened a 13 Rossi Ranch Grenache lately? I pulled it from the cellar for tonight but it's my last one.

Based on my experience you won't go wrong with either of these delicious wines. That said, my experience in not too recent. 4/20 for the Rossi and 8/19 for the Montafi.
Thanks Don! I think I'll stick with the grenache and will be sure to post a (assuredly terrible) note :)

David Lewin
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#1756 Post by David Lewin »

I had the Grenache in November (also my last bottle) and enjoyed it. Plush but balanced the first night, the tannin showed more days two and three.

David

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1757 Post by Rich Brown »

David Lewin wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 4:39 pm

I had the Grenache in November (also my last bottle) and enjoyed it. Plush but balanced the first night, the tannin showed more days two and three.

David
Mmmm, this is great! You nailed it David - plush but balanced! Very happy I opened this tonight, and will (attempt to) post an actual note later.

Thanks for the feedback/encouragement Don and David!

Jake Dvoskin
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#1758 Post by Jake Dvoskin »

2018 Carlisle Mourvedre, Bedrock v/y. Decant for an hour, what a great wine. ordered a few more.

J. Hayes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1759 Post by J. Hayes »

2008 Papera Ranch Zin. Yummy. Paired well with a black bean soup.
John

Dale Bowers
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#1760 Post by Dale Bowers »

Had a 2009 Palisades Petite Syrah recently. Found it overly boozey and too hot for my palate
Cheers!

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1761 Post by Rich Brown »

Exactly what I was hoping for tonight!!

brigcampbell
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#1762 Post by brigcampbell »

2018 Zin. Tuite said load up and I ignored him

My bad.

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#1763 Post by larry schaffer »

Opened a 2008 Rossi Ranch Zinfandel as I am making lasagna for a late dinner. The aromatics are exploding from the glass on a pnp - wild boysenberry, quite high toned, cedar and underripe plum hanging out in the background; a touch of graphite and pain grille as well; bright and energetic in the mouth, with similar flavors to the aromatics, medium bodied and a 20+ second finish; the alcohol is peaking out a bit at 15.2, but my guess is that it will integrate over the coming hours. Beautiful and mature with plenty of life still left. Kudos, Mike!

Cheers.
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Steve Nordhoff
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#1764 Post by Steve Nordhoff »

13 Bedrock was drinking beautifully tonight on a wet cool SoCal evening
ITB -Riverain Vineyards

David Lewin
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#1765 Post by David Lewin »

Ironically the 2013 Montafi is one two Zinfandels I have at home so i popped it. Drinking very well and I suspect it’s at its peak. Not as fun as the Grenache and if you want a wild ride, try the 2013 Allicante Bouchet which I had, and loved, a few weeks ago.

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1766 Post by Rich Brown »

David Lewin wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 8:00 pm

Ironically the 2013 Montafi is one two Zinfandels I have at home so i popped it. Drinking very well and I suspect it’s at its peak. Not as fun as the Grenache and if you want a wild ride, try the 2013 Allicante Bouchet which I had, and loved, a few weeks ago.
Nice David! I'll open a Montafi next time we pop a bottle!

And I've been eyeing an AB as I have a couple of them and very curious how they're drinking. Wasn't in the mood for a huge wine tonight though so went with the grenache. I'll definitley open an AB soon! [cheers.gif]

Ian Alper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1767 Post by Ian Alper »

We just had the 13 Montafi. Found it enjoyable but just that. Not much going on and I felt it was just past peak. Nice balance but soft fruit and no tannin. Not much acid either. No better on day 2. I would drink these up even though I usually enjoy my Carlisle with a little age.

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1768 Post by Rich Brown »

Ian Alper wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 8:18 pm We just had the 13 Montafi. Found it enjoyable but just that. Not much going on and I felt it was just past peak. Nice balance but soft fruit and no tannin. Not much acid either. No better on day 2. I would drink these up even though I usually enjoy my Carlisle with a little age.
That settles it, I'll open one soon.

Thanks!

adam landa
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#1769 Post by adam landa »

2014 Papera last weekend...better the second day...one of my favorite bottlings.

Ian Alper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1770 Post by Ian Alper »

Rich - looking forward to hearing how it shows.

Scott E.

#1771 Post by Scott E. »

I've already consumed both of mine. No formal notes, but this was a crowd pleaser - well at least for my family. I don't recall anything in particular, other than it was enjoyable. Cheers!
$.E$te$

Kurt_L

#1772 Post by Kurt_L »

Wishlist was just granted for James Berry and Alicante Bouschet. No luck with SoCo Syrah.
L @ v 3 t t i

Mich@el Ch@ng
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#1773 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng »

Got wishlist for two cabs and a jbv

Alan Newman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1774 Post by Alan Newman »

No luck on my Mourvedre wishlist.

Benjg

#1775 Post by Benjg »

Got my wishlist for additional whites, kinda bummed that they tacked on an additional shipping charge. Now up to $49 for shipping 9 bottles! Seems a little ridiculous....
B e n G @ t h

JeremyMullman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1776 Post by JeremyMullman »

Benjg wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 5:16 pm Got my wishlist for additional whites, kinda bummed that they tacked on an additional shipping charge. Now up to $49 for shipping 9 bottles! Seems a little ridiculous....
I have noticed over the years that Carlisle’s shipping tiers at increments of 6. So if you go from, say, 4 to 6 bottles it doesn’t change. But 5 to 7 does.

More complicated than Bedrock with the flat rate but the winescare so fairly priced it’s hard to complain.

Benjg

#1777 Post by Benjg »

JeremyMullman wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 5:34 pm
Benjg wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 5:16 pm Got my wishlist for additional whites, kinda bummed that they tacked on an additional shipping charge. Now up to $49 for shipping 9 bottles! Seems a little ridiculous....
I have noticed over the years that Carlisle’s shipping tiers at increments of 6. So if you go from, say, 4 to 6 bottles it doesn’t change. But 5 to 7 does.

More complicated than Bedrock with the flat rate but the winescare so fairly priced it’s hard to complain.
I didn’t know that, and that was my scenario exactly. Went from 5 original bottles to 9 with the wishlist. I agree prices are good, but something to keep in mind in the future. Thanks!
B e n G @ t h

Jeff_M.
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#1778 Post by Jeff_M. »

Got my additional Montecillo cab.
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates
2007 Yangarra Estate High Sands Grenache
1986 Spottswoode Cabernet
2012 Hartford Court Arrendell Vineyard Pinot Noir

2021 WOTY Candidates
2010 O'Shaughnessy Mt. Veeder

Brent S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1779 Post by Brent S »

My first order and I was thrilled to get a wish list granted for a bottle of James berry 2018 Syrah.
Br en t. Sp ren kle
Manhattan Beach, Ca

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1780 Post by Rich Brown »

2013 The Derivative. Surprisingly this bottle was drinking past it's prime. Hoping it was just off as I've got a couple left.

JMReuter
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1781 Post by JMReuter »

2018 Rosella's Syrah: Savory purple fruit and lavender; some meat and stone on the finish, plus a smidge of acid; current rating of 1011101, 93, or 5D (depending on your base). My other two bottles are going to sleep for several more years.
J o n @ t h @ n R 3 u t 3 r

Paul Miller
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#1782 Post by Paul Miller »

2013 Pagani Ranch Zin

Eric Werner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1783 Post by Eric Werner »

2011 James Berry Syrah. My first James Berry from Carlisle, but it will not be my last. Really nice wine, and didn’t seem 10 years old.

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1784 Post by Rich Brown »

Ian Alper wrote: January 24th, 2021, 8:48 am Rich - looking forward to hearing how it shows.
I coravind a pour tonight after finishing off what was left of a 12 Bedrock Lorenzo's (great wine!), and I am really digging this 13 Montafi! I completely agree that its a 'drink now' wine, as there are no tannins to speak of and the fruit has definitley mellowed. Either at peak or slightly passed, but definitley still delicious. Will drink my last bottle within the next few months.

Thanks for the feedback all - appreciate it!

Steve Gautier
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#1785 Post by Steve Gautier »

Opened the ‘13 Montafi for the Super Bowl. Agree that tannins are gone and fruit is receding but that said, I think this wine is absolutely wonderful. I tend to think it has some time left but if I had any more, I agree that I would drink it now and not take chance.
Good wine is a necessity of life. - Thomas Jefferson

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1786 Post by Rich Brown »

Steve Gautier wrote: February 7th, 2021, 5:13 pm Opened the ‘13 Montafi for the Super Bowl. Agree that tannins are gone and fruit is receding but that said, I think this wine is absolutely wonderful. I tend to think it has some time left but if I had any more, I agree that I would drink it now and not take chance.
I actually pivoted and opened this tonight as well after I coravind a glass last night. After spending more time with it, I completely agree. This is a delicious, drink now wine. Very happy with it!

Cheers buddy!

Steve Gautier
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#1787 Post by Steve Gautier »

Rich Brown wrote: February 7th, 2021, 5:15 pm
Steve Gautier wrote: February 7th, 2021, 5:13 pm Opened the ‘13 Montafi for the Super Bowl. Agree that tannins are gone and fruit is receding but that said, I think this wine is absolutely wonderful. I tend to think it has some time left but if I had any more, I agree that I would drink it now and not take chance.
I actually pivoted and opened this tonight as well after I coravind a glass last night. After spending more time with it, I completely agree. This is a delicious, drink now wine. Very happy with it!

Cheers buddy!
Cheers!

brigcampbell
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#1788 Post by brigcampbell »

Opened the 2019 Sonoma zinfandel last night.

Showed a lot of blue fruit and some gritty tannins.

Good stuff

M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1789 Post by M. Dildine »

brigcampbell wrote: March 14th, 2021, 12:08 pm Opened the 2019 Sonoma zinfandel last night.

Good stuff
Great minds think alike Brig, I have one on the launch pad for tonight!
Cheers,

Mike

brigcampbell
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#1790 Post by brigcampbell »

M. Dildine wrote: March 14th, 2021, 12:26 pm
brigcampbell wrote: March 14th, 2021, 12:08 pm Opened the 2019 Sonoma zinfandel last night.

Good stuff
Great minds think alike Brig, I have one on the launch pad for tonight!
Great, let me know if you get the blue fruit. I was worried it was because of the stuff I was snacking on. Saved a half glass to retest today but was informed by the warden "no kim and I finished the bottle last night". The girls drink what they want!

Jonathan Jaggers

#1791 Post by Jonathan Jaggers »

Cracked a 2014 Carlisle Vineyard Zinfandel the other night. Very bright and concentrated, with a nice earthy funk underlying.

Tom R W

#1792 Post by Tom R W »

0BEB0D51-1FAB-4257-8C54-D36BA14F2838.jpeg
Had this 2016 Rossi Ranch last night with spaghetti & meatballs.
Dark red, very aromatic. Young, tight fruit forward at first. Plus acid which balanced with the marinara well. Lots of cherry, strawberry blending into savory herbs and anise near the end of the evening. Started full bodied but convinced myself it was medium body later. Drinking very nicely once it had 30+ mins of air.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
W a r r e n

Peter Petersen

#1793 Post by Peter Petersen »

Been drinking some good ones lately esp Montafi, Papera, and the OV blend. Must say that I've been happier with more recent vintages such as '16 and '17 (except for one corked bottle, why is it always the last one!). The most recent '14 Hayne seemed like it had peaked and was dead on day two under Repour. I have more and will probably open one tonight.
Another strange occurrence was a '14 Derivative that was oxidized, fortunately a second bottle was perfect!
The '17 C-P is also drinking extremely well, more concentrated than earlier versions and with an intense nose of Lychee and gooseberries.

Steve Gautier
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#1794 Post by Steve Gautier »

I had a ‘13 Hayne Zinfandel over the last two nights and it seemed to be well on the way down.

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1795 Post by Nate Simon »

Good stuff
Gonna give this one a go.

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1796 Post by Rich Brown »

Steve Gautier wrote: March 14th, 2021, 3:45 pm I had a ‘13 Hayne Zinfandel over the last two nights and it seemed to be well on the way down.
Yep, its drfinitley a drink now....as is the 13 Montafi. Strange, as most Bedrock 13's are still fairly tight (which I'd expect from the vintage), but the Carlisle's seem to be at peak or possibly just past.

JMReuter
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1797 Post by JMReuter »

2014 Carlisle Vineyard Zinfandel. My last of three bottles. Poured a single glass using Coravin. Nice brambly, juicy zin. I notice the 15.0% alcohol on the finish, but just barely.
J o n @ t h @ n R 3 u t 3 r

T Welch
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1798 Post by T Welch »

Two nights ago we had a 2011 Bedrock Vineyard Mourvedre and last night a 2011 Three Birds (Grenache 78%, Mourvedre 16%, Syrah 6%). Both were very savory and in no danger of fading soon.
T*R*U*E*T*T

JViolini

#1799 Post by JViolini »

2014 Sierra Mar SLH Syrah last night with Trager smoked salmon. Just a quick "mini blind" someone said Syrah-Grenache and another Syrah-Cab. Everyone liked it it. Dark color, lighter body than expecting as well as some red/berry fruit along with plum, blackberry, iron, 5 spice.
On a point scale we said a 92.
Looking at past notes we drank the 2011 in June and said 90 & we drank the 2013 in December and said 94.
JV (itb)

P Turk
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1800 Post by P Turk »

Had the ‘15 Sonoma Petite Sirah a couple of weekends ago .... a little young but very brooding PS and great tasting by the camp fire.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil

Return to “Wine Talk”