Williams Selyem Tasting

First time poster here… long time lurker.

If you’re on the W-S list and haven’t done so… make it a point to head over to the facility in Healdsburg. My wife and I did a tasting there last Sunday, and it was a great experience. One-on-one with one of the tasting room staff as we tasted an array of 6 different wines including an '08 Chard, '13 Chenin Blanc and a NV Port of all things. All awesome wines of course. What made me want to post now, is that I received a hand written post card in the mail today from the gal that took care of us on Sunday thanking us for coming. -A really nice touch.

I’ve been to a lot of tasting rooms and have done a lot of appointment only tasting through the years (like most of us have), and this one ranks as probably the best overall experience for me. The only other comparable experience in my opinion was when Jennifer & Herb held tastings at the Lamb residence on Howell Mtn back in the day.

Really nice to see a winery that gets it, and W-S is definitely doing it right.

Welcome!

I agree about the absolute pleasantness of tasting there.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I went to WS on a recent trip to Healdsburg last month for the first time as a new list member and agree that their service and hospitality were very welcoming and intimate. However, I was frankly disappointed that the majority of the wines that we were able to taste are only available at the winery. Given the breadth of their SVD portfolio, I would have gladly paid a tasting fee to increase exposure to different SVD bottlings that are in fact available as part of their regular spring/fall offerings. From a “help me decide what to buy in the future” purpose, I found the visit disappointing, despite the gracious hospitality and otherwise quality tour/wines. Wish I lived closer for the pick up party.

Agreed. They have put together a class welcoming for visitors and especially those who are on their mailing list and more specifically for those who have been on the list prior to the purchase in 98`. The facility itself is a statement of high end quality.

I agree with Chris L on the disappointment of not being afforded to opportunity to taste through more of the offerings. When we tasted there, we only had the ability to taste two wines which were available off the list, the others were all winery only releases. With such a huge array of SVD’s to choose from, it would make sense for them to allow members to do a horizontal (even partially) of their offerings to narrow down the options. Yes, it is a very nice place and they run a first class tasting room and tour experience but, for me, a visit has to have the practical side of learning about the winery’s offerings - and this is where WS comes up WAY short in providing a valuable tasting experience for their members.

My experience was entirely different. I made reservations in advance and had a personal guide, tour and tasting that included 7-8 wines, many from vintages no longer available, some as old as 8+ years. I`m not sure what happened in your case, but I went as an individual, announced my long term list participation and was treated royally.

+1 My wife and I went in 2011, had reservations, and it was a one-on-one tasting and tour with probably 6-7 wines, including a westside road neighbors and a couple of svds as well as the Mass-10 Block Selection. We couldn’t get in the bottling room because the guy didn’t have a key and literally no one else was there, but we spent over an hour just walking the grounds and the estate vineyard.

+2
I was there just last month and had an absolutely great tasting experience. Tasted through a slew of various wines, both on the regular allocation and a few winery-only. In addition to the hospitality, one highlight by far was getting generous tastes of the '98 Allen PN.

Well, guess I haven’t been on the list long enough or spent enough to get “full access”, but have been taking a case per release for three years now. Hopefully next experience is better. I specifically asked whether there were any other wines available and was told no. You ballers definitely have more cred there than I do.

I’ve been also and had a great experience. I think most are experiencing the same tasting and just have different points of view. They have 2 or 3 wines that are current, and 2 or 3 wines that are library or are not available through the list. I happen to like this, but agree it doesn’t let you know what to buy off the offering. Frankly, given the amount of SVDs and appellation wines they offer, I’m not sure how they could do that without tasting 15 wines. I’m happy to get a sense of what they did with the vintage off the couple current wines and then like to get a shot at tasting some old ones.

When I went, we tasted a couple early 2000s pinots, a 2006 chard, a current chard, and two or three current pinots. And our party was certainly not a WS “balla” group as it was set up by one of my friends who had only been on the list for a year. I have been on for longer, but they didn’t know that.

I just found my notes from my visit. Here they are FYI:

"Wine-Williams Selyem winery tour/ tasting 5/20/13

During the Anderson Valley Pinot Noir Festival weekend, I had pre- arranged a private tour and tasting at the wonderful new and high tech Williams Selyem winery. Ive been on the mailing list since the late 80s and never visited until this time.

The winery is so impressive and they are 100% equipped to do all steps from sorting and vinifying through fermentation and bottling. The estate vineyards surround the winery including Block 10 which has the unique concept of “mass selection” where different clones are inter-dispersed every 18th vine in each row throughout the 3 acre block. This wine is sold only at the winery [$75].

I was treated to a tasting of some of their wines, a few of which I have not tasted previously and including some Pinots I have in my cellar.

2011 UNOAKED CHARDONNAY RRV- stainless steel fermented, no ML; very nice acidity with minerals, apple and pear notes; crisp, refreshing and palate cleansing; 13.1% alc.

2011 CHENNIN BLANC LIMESTONE RIDGE AT VISTA VERDE VINEYARD SAN BENITO COUNTY- new to me and I believe only available at the winery; made in a concrete cone shaped egg fermentors which creates a vortex that allow for lees to stay in suspension; clean, bright, light and nice citrus flavors with some stone fruit.

2006 SONOMA COAST PINOT NOIR- loved this as it`s showing real well now and should continue to delight for many more years; fruit forward and loaded with strawberry and raspberry with red cherry finishing it off with all continuing through the back end; a real treat; 14.2% alc.

2005 FERRINGTON PINOT NOIR- this weekend, Ive already had the best Ferrington Ive ever had, the 94, and this vineyard was my favorite from any producer at the festival, so Im ready for another winner and this obliged; lots of fresh wild cherry and raspberry delivered in a silky texture and with fine acidity to ensure longevity; 14.3% alc.; I`m on the Ferrington bandwagon for sure.

2006 VISTA VERDE PINOT NOIR- after an unanticipated nose of smoke and minerals, lots of spice and clove joins in with the predominate flavor of strawberry making for a pleasurable experience; 14.1% alc.

2003 BUCHER PINOT NOIR- more smoke here before the red cherry/ berry fruit arrives and smoothly moves along the palate for a nice finish.

2004 FLAX PINOT NOIR- no longer available since 2010, this vineyard produced some fine Pinot for WS; I liked this bottle`s mint and briar notes dancing along with lots of concentrated red and blue fruit.

2010 BLOCK 10 MASS SELECTION VINEYARD PINOT NOIR- made from about 35% whole clusters and aged for 22-24 months in 50% new and 50% once used oak, this is full on with depth and complexity with a big body following its dark purple color display; serious red and black fruit have a nice spicy component blended in and all are heavily concentrated by mid palate and well beyond; a blockbuster, no pun intended.

2008 CABERNET HAYSTACK PEAK VINEYARD NAPA VALLEY- another new one to me, this is good Cabernet; it`s tasty, medium to full body, rich and nicely structured, it has good mouthfeel and a long finish; 14.7% alc.

One last note for those long time Williams Selyem list members who may remember receiving a “gift” bottle of Pinot Noir a few years back. It was 2005 Litton Estate from young vines. Due to a name conflict, they discontinued using Litton after the 2008 and renamed it Williams Selyem Estate Vineyard starting with the 2009 vintage.

After this appointment, I`m went off to a dinner with Burt Williams and others to enjoy my final night of this fantastic 3 day journey [see 2 separate reports].

Life is good and as it is said, “Pinot Noir is not just for breakfast anymore”.

Cheers,
Blake"

Chris D; I really have to agree with Dusty and Blake as I believe longevity on the list might have a bit to do with the length and breadth of your tasting. I have been on the list “forever” and always get treated extremely well when I visit. Not to sound egotistical or mean , but I really believe that long time customers deserve a bit of special treatment. I think this is or should be true of all businesses. The new facility is simply beautiful and quite a difference from their former “digs.”

Cheers! [cheers.gif]
Marshall

As I read more of your descriptions of your visit experiences, none are actually all that different from mine (barring Blake’s, who tasted four wines more than we did). None of you have indicated tasting more than six of the spring/fall release wines in any sort of mini-horizontal. I guess my main frustration is not being able to do any sort of side by side with their release wines, rather having to do all of the comparisons on my dime. Don’t get me wrong, many producers I order from regularly do something similar - the difference here is just the sheer breadth which makes doing the comparisons on my dime that much more prohibitive. I’ve been able to cull down my options over the years, but hoped a visit there might allow me to taste a few of the wines I had not yet tasted. Fortunately, there’s a great deal of insight and input from the WB community upon which I can rely for filling in the gaps and making my bets on WS. [cheers.gif]

Chris; Well stated…Although I own and drink a lot of WS wines, over the years I have learned which I enjoy the most. I do not take my entire allocations of each SVD but on occasion; I wish list a couple more of my favorites. Experience is always the best teacher.
Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

Would it matter how much business he did with this brand (i.e. level of money spent vs time on the list?) I’ve been on the list for about 5 years now, I don’t spend as much as I did initially due to various reasons but in your opinion do you feel that should change the experience I should have there?

Disclaimer: The two times I have visited the winery (once to do a pick up on a weekend) I was treated quite nice, many library wines open and will definitely go back for a visit.

I’ve been to W/S a couple times and enjoyed it a lot. Wasn’t poured any 98s or anything but I’m also newer to the list. Maybe if I stop by again in a year or so, i’ll get the star treatment!

That being said, Its a great tasting! The tour and information about all the unique w/s details is great. I see everyone’s point about them not pouring current release wines, which is a good one. I kinda like the “special” feeling of getting to drink their winery only wines when there, but I agree, If I’m buying on the list, It would be great to do a real tasting of the current release wines.

But that block 10…man its good stuff. I have 2011 and a 2012 at home. Both were magical at the winery when tasted.

Michael, I liked the Block 10 as well although it is a big, bold and highly extracted pinot that goes off the chart with the dark fruit profile I rarely find in most of the others. Since Im more of a fan of the strawberry raspberry to red cherry fruit, I passed on buying this and just bought more from 97 and before that Burt made for about the same price.

I would like to schedule a tasting for late June. Is it too early to call? Also would like to bring two guests who are not on WS’s list but are sophisticated buyers. What should I know?

Carlton, you might call first and determine if 2 guests are OK and if so, Id make the reservations now and allude to the guests exactly as to who they are plus their interest in the winerys wines.

Actually Nick…I do. I don’t mean that people should be treated poorly or in a lesser manner. Not at all! However, opening an extra bottle or two for long time customers seems totally fair to me. As you, yourself experienced, it is quite a nice visit and you would certainly return. In a way, this is similar to people getting different allocations from some wineries depending on the length of time on the list. Again, I see no problem with that…

Cheers!
Marshall [wink.gif]