TN: 1995 La Rioja Alta Gran Reserva 890

Slight bricking. Fabulous aromas of red and dark fruits, oak, leather, tobacco, soil, balsamico and a hint of game. Quite a complex nose. Full bodied and concentrated, almost meaty in the mouth. Mouth filling flavors of red fruit.
Palate tingling acidity and a long finish. Taste of cherries linger at the end. Drinkable now with two hours of air, but will age a long time. This vintage is another in a long line of excellent 890’s, and still a relative bargain.

Thanks for the note, Peter. I need to keep an eye out for this

Thanks for the note and the reminder, Peter.

I love wines from these traditional Rioja bodegas and forget they pretty much release when they think the wines are ready. I’m so conditioned to buy wines and stash them away I forget I can start opening these beauties immediately.

I know they hold them until they think they are ready, but for me, the magic happens when they have 25+ years of age on them. The American oak is still too prominent on release, and the nuances that come with age are too wonderful to squander. At a young age, they are too much like wines from anyplace else.

Just mt 2 cents