Zalto…takes a lickin…..

Was putting a cork back into a bottle, and the bottle slipped, crashing into my burg Zalto…of which smacked against my rock tiled counter wall…then the bowl bounced on the granite counter top! [shock.gif] Lost a little Carillon Les Perrières…but the Zalto had not a scratch! [dance-clap.gif] Amazing how durable these really are! When I first started using them….I thought they would break by just breathing on them……now I don’t even think about it!

[cheers.gif]

I knocked one off the drying rack the other night. It fell 4 feet to the ground…

… no, of course it didn’t survive!

btw, not much actual glass in these things, except the base.

I look at the bright side, I was barefooted and got it all cleaned up without the usual shard going in my foot! That’s good, right?

I knocked one over night before last. Spilled a FULL glass of 2003 Clos Fourtet, the glass bounced around a couple of soft surfaces before landing on the carpet and did not break.

Broken 2. One with a towel drying inside the bowl. The other shaking it to get the water off. Guess I am to rough or bad luck. Have to order more.

Real names to post.

Have lots of events that should have broke but did not experiences with my Zaltos. Most have been from over torquing holding by base drying.

SH (HRH) broke a Universal while washing. Typically we just put them in the dishwasher but we have a very quiet, Bosch unit which uses a small amount of water per cycle. Because the glasses were taking on a dark red tint, SH washed one vigorously by hand and cut her thumb open pretty nicely when it crumbled.

Not her fault - our old GE washer would have done fine but these “quiet” Bosch units where you have to wash the dishes before you wash the dishes seem to be less than optimal.

Love the Zaltos for drinking, though! We need a replacement!

They are really quite resilient and tolerant. Drink from them, and put them in the dishwasher. You start handling them, and that’s when the problems begin.

Agreed - just need the washer to remove the red tint, or need to soak them in Polydent prior to washing!

Put a drop of bleach in a glass of water, and then move that water from glass to glass before you put them in the dishwasher. Red stains will be gone.

Have always been scared to put them in the dishwasher. Last year at the end of a weekend, we had 6 or so glasses sitting out on the counter to be hand washed. They were a mix of Zalto, Riedel and a few others. I knocked over a giant cutting board and crushed them. All were a complete loss except the Zalto, not a scratch. Been sold ever since.

Thanks, Merrill - we’ll give it a try! [cheers.gif]

I broke two Universals last year while drying them and chunked some glasses in the sink forgetting a Burg stem was in there…it died. Funny thing is, I broke these 3 stems in a 3 week period soon after I purchased them. I was very careful after and now I’m using them like a normal stem but am careful when drying them. I do put them in the dishwasher ocassionally, they are resilient.

I broke a Burg while washing–stem snapped.

I’ve got the Burgundy Zalto’s and the truth is I’m afraid to use this stemware.

I was a little wary when I first started using them but once you start you’ll use it all the time. I assume you’re afraid of breaking one…

This thread and other stemware threads are so amusing. It is like keeping the “good” silver or the “good” china for…when? When to open that “special” bottle? Now! Whenever! Live with and enjoy your stuff, or just don’t have it.

Zalto are my everyday glasses. They go in the dishwasher. No problems and actually get my money’s worth out of them rather then just letting them sit on the shelf.

That said, two have broken. But that’s what happens when they get knocked off the counter.

Bunch of clumsy people!!! neener

Are you using the Finish tablets with the red “powerball” in the center? If not give them a try. They are expensive at Target but BJs etc. sells these in large boxes with 2-for-1 coupons, very reasonable like that. I use Zalto Bordeaux daily and wash in a Bosch 800 with zero issues. Love my Bosch as much as my Zaltos :slight_smile:.