TN: 2012 Mas Foraster Conca de Barberà Josep Foraster (Trepat grape)

• 2012 Mas Foraster Conca de Barberà Josep Foraster - Spain, Catalunya, Tarragona, Conca de Barberà (3/20/2015)
    Popped and poured, bright ruby/purple. Fresh, lively aromas of raspberry, ruby grapefruit, ground white pepper, minerals and a hint of green. A very pretty floral note emerges with aeration. Medium body. Palate mirrors the nose but shows even more crushed berries and spice with exhilarating freshness. While the tannins show a mild chalkiness, this is extremely well-balanced with a surprisingly persistent close of mineral-tinged red fruits.
    Great right now, should be even better in 1-2 years.

Quick comment: While comparisons of this and Pinot Noir are certainly warranted I’m finding the raspberry fruits and spices to be more evocative of a Grenache (albeit one made in a style which has become all too rare).

Got this from Cindy for $17.77 per, 13% abv. Very fun and surprisingly serious, my first Trepat. AFWE recommended.

Just picked up a younger 2016 of this from Vinoteca in Barcelona (excellent shop). Looking forward to the exploration. Apparently the grape was widespread prior to Phylloxera. Tiny production now but reportedly increasing.

RT

I’ve gone through a bunch of it, and really enjoy it. I like it with a bit of a chill - cellar temp, or slightly above. Great with sushi also.

If you’re able to track down some of the other Josep Foraster wines, I encourage you to do so. The Blanc Seleccio is really interesting, as it’s a 50/40/10 blend of Garnatxa Blanca, Macabeu, and Chardonnay. It does show a tiny bit of an oxidative note, similar to an Amontillado, but I love Sherry, so that’s not an issue for me. Rather, I think it makes the wine quite interesting.