TN: 1998 Krug Champagne Vintage Brut (France, Champagne)

• 1998 Krug Champagne Vintage Brut - France, Champagne (3/20/2015)
    Great bottle tonight, but very different from the last 3 years ago. This seemed more youthful, tighter and brighter than the last despite a richer, more oxidized color. Under all of the tension, this was very leesy on The nose. Lots of bread and citrus fruits, with a touch of oxidation/acetaldehyde. Overall, a great wine, however this did not quite reach the level of the last bottle. 2 left - will let 3 out of 4 determine wether this is a reload.

Sounds like my 07 Fevre Les Clos I’m drinkin right now! [wow.gif]

I like Krug but IMO needs to breath before it truly shows itself. 98 is still somewhat young, I’d wait a few years before I open the next bottle or pop the cork and taste to see what you got then let it breath for several hours if needed.

Well that can’t be a bad drink Buzz! I think you’re right Rick, this needs some air today. We brought this into a restaurant so we didn’t have any time to let it air out. Unfortunately VA won’t let you bring in open bottles. The Greer that sat at home in the decanter while we were out had opened beautifully!

You should put that Fevre into the SodaStream.

Just had it and it was full on. Fresh, vibrant, fruit alive and kicking and starting to show secondary. Really good.

I would pay good money to watch someone do that.

[snort.gif]

Krug is bottle conditioned, right? If it’s soda streamed, I’m giving up on Champagne altogether.

• 1998 Krug Champagne Vintage Brut - France, Champagne (9/10/2019)
    This bottle was purchased while on vacation only 6 months prior so there was no telling the provenance. However, this bottle showed quite lovely while also at a stage where it’s entering the more mature part of it’s life. I was down-right giddy when finding this for $185. A medium golden color in the glasses with a rich and complex nose of red & yellow apples, almond and sea spray with a whisper of minerality. The palate was full-bodied with a creamy mousse, with a real sense of harmony and power as notes of pear, kiwi, & lime linger as note of almond creep in at the tail end go the finish. Outstanding…and if I had more I would not hesitate to open a bottle & check in on this.

Posted from CellarTracker