TN: Quick thoughts on Gunderloch, Rougeard, Jouan, Ceretto, etc.

Brief notes from dinner last night at Salil’s, with Mike Shor and Brian Marshall:

2013 Gunderloch Rothenberg Riesling Grosses Gewachs
Closed in and perhaps even a bit reductive at first (it is, like all Gunderloch wines under screw cap), but an hour or so later it deepened, showed more spicy and earthy elements. It’s a unique wine, and represents the red soils quite well, but not for everyone.

1996 Chateau Certan de May
Showed quite a bit of volatility when I tried it. I heard it opened up later, but I never got back to it.

2005 Clos Rougeard(Foucault) Saumur-Champigny
Very closed in for the first 30 minutes or so. After that it was quite well integrated, with deep red fruit and a touch of spice. While it developed additional earthy/leafy layers later on, it never rose to the level that the hype would indicate for Rougeard. I like these wines (a 2010 Poyeaux a couple of weeks ago was much more interesting, but not life changing), but they do not thrill me, so at least no need to chase them.

2012 Henri Jouan Morey St. Denis
This was in fact thrilling. This was the closest thing to Truchot I’ve ever had. The aromatics were beguiling, swirling and endlessly fascinating. I really do not know how to properly describe them. I could use some list of fruits and earth tones, but that would not convey the whole experience. Normally one of the highest compliments I can pay to a wine is that I would be happy just to smell it. That applies here. That being said, drinking it was just as thrilling, as the delicacy aligned to the complexity caused a completely visceral response. This is great wine.

1997 Azienda Bricco Rocche (Ceretto) Barolo Prapò
Another delicious wine, though it was somewhat unfairly overshadowed by the Jouan. I revisited a couple of times, and was very impressed by the sweet cherry fruit and the overall delicacy of the wine. It was quite easy to drink, tannins were well in check and I would not discourage anyone from trying it now.

1976 Chateau Cos d’Estournel
This only held up for about 45 minutes, but it was a very nice 45 minutes. The forest floor (dried leaves, mushrooms, etc.) elements were certainly at the fore, but there was still some deep, though fading fruit there for a little bit. I would open any bottles and drink soon, being prepared to focus on this wine, rather than putting it in a larger setting where the brief window may get missed.

2001 Meßmer Burrweiller Schloßgarten Riesling Eiswein
Clearly a botrytis influenced eiswein, and while that is not my choice, I cannot deny that this was mighty tasty. Orange peel, baking spices, honey, dried pineapple, etc. all came together in a slightly viscous, sweet, yet balanced wine. Very good, though except for the acidity more in the mode of BA than eiswein.

Thanks for the interesting notes David.
What is the difference / connection between Olivier and Henri Jouan?
Are both Ssssshh?

I don’t know.

But as for Henri…shhhhhh

About damn time! Salil was sending “nah nah” pics real time!

I popped the '05 Rougeard Les Poyeaux with MarcF a month or so ago. This vintage really needs time to shine. I will say, '07 was almost open. I’m sitting on '09s and '10s for a long time.

Well it was my only bottle of 2005, so no more for me. I have a single bottle of 2010, and that will sit for a while.

2007 Rougeard Poyeaux was my WOTN, brought by Tooch to a dinner hosted by Robert Alfert…besting '89 Pichon Baron and a gorgeous '95 Clape cornas

Killer CF

It was good seeing you guys, as always; and what a terrific lineup. I thoroughly enjoyed the Ceretto, only slightly more than the Rougeard. I’ll have to revisit the Jouan at some point in the future, I had a tough time with the aromatics and finding some of the earthiness beneath all the fruit.

The 2005 vintage is not ready yet for either of the Clos Rougeard cuvées. Les Poyeux (not Poyeaux) typically need 10+ years to get their complexity, and 2005 will need more than that. But if you have a good cellar, they might keep for a very long time.
Le Clos still needs a few years. Then again, it is a ~20€ wine ex domaine, so I guess it might not be a life changing experience indeed compared to what you can get in Bourgogne once “premium” is added.

Alain

“20€ wine ex domaine”… welcome to the sad reality of a AFWE hype wine in NYC! They are going closer to $200 here!

The Clos bottling is just $80 or so. It’s still not worth it IMO.

David, a question if you know: how much Eiswein is made with a botrytis influence? I was under the impression that was illegal - which I am guessing I was wrong about - but it is exceptionally rare, no?

Yes, shhh on Jouan, glad to hear good report on the 2012, David. A 2008 Clos Sorbes from about 9 months ago (which I left open for a goodly time before pouring) was burly but promising and then really woke up with food.

Thanks for the TNs.

Slainte,

Mike

Botrytis is not only completely legal, but more common from where it used to be. Putting coverings on the grape vines, to keep out birds traps moisture (depending on the covering) and can accelerate botrytis.

Thank you for the insight. Though I taste a lot of German wine, Eiswein is not a category I come across all that often.

Much appreciated.

I can understand the comparison and like Jouan’s wines a lot (I own a whole bunch) but I have had Jouan side by side with Truchot and the wines seem simple by comparision. Try Cecile Tremblay’s wines.