Rhys 2013 Spring Futures

Please save the date! The final Futures offering for the 2013 vintage featuring the wines of Horseshoe Vineyard will be coming up on Tuesday, March 31st.

This offering is intended to allow our customers to secure larger formats, such as magnums and 3 liter bottles, as well as full case quantities of standard-sized 750mL bottles for all three Horseshoe wines produced in 2013- Pinot Noir, Chardonnay and Syrah.

This Futures offering will also include the opportunity to purchase the 2013 Rhys Chardonnay sampler pack in case quantities of 375 ml and 500 ml formats. These sampler packs will contain 6 bottles each of Horseshoe and Alpine Chardonnay. All of these small format wines will be shipped in the Spring of 2015 if weather permits. This will allow customers to sample these young wines prior to the regular scheduled offering.

Please note that the amount of wine available in this offering is limited in order to make sure that there will be enough of these wines for the regularly scheduled offerings in 2016 and these wines will be offered in a “first come, first served” format.

The 2013 Horseshoe Vineyard Futures offering will include the following wines –

2013 Horseshoe Vineyard Pinot Noir:
12x750mL in a wood box - $828/cs
1.5L in a wood box - $159/btl
3L in a wood box - $319/btl

2013 Horseshoe Vineyard Chardonnay:
6x375mL - $229/cs
6x500mL - $299/cs

2013 Horseshoe Vineyard Syrah:
6x375mL - $229/cs
6x500mL - $299/cs

2013 Rhys Chardonnay Sampler Pack (6 each of Alpine Vineyard and Horseshoe Vineyard Chardonnay):
12x375mL - $449/cs
12x500mL - $599/cs

Shouldn’t that be the 2012 Syrah? The 2011 is being shipped now. Or was I not paying attention and there was already a 2012 futures offer for the Syrah? Also, when are the 750’s expected to ship? Same time as the regular offers or before?

Craig,
The 2012 Horseshoe Syrah is already bottled in 750s and will be offered in a regular release. The 2013 is not yet bottled so we decided to offer it as Futures (for the first time for Syrah) to give people bottling options. We expect to ship the 750s in the Fall.

I love these futures offerings!

2013 is a birth year wine for my daughter. thoughts on ageability of the pinot in large format?

Greg,
The 2013 Horseshoe PN is a great choice for your daughter. It should drink great in 20 years and long after (especially in large format). Horseshoe usually produces our most ageworthy Pinot and I think the '13 is the best yet.

Kevin,
is there a reason there are no 375s or 500s for the pinot?

I couldn’t agree more. For me this is a great way to get in on more Chardonnay than I’m allocated in the regular releases. AND, my wife loves the smaller format as a way to split a glass of white (minus having to open a full 750) before a bottle of red when the occasion calls.

Jonathon, the 2013 Horseshoe pinot was offered in the 2013 Pinot Sampler pack last fall in those formats, so we didn’t see any need to double up. Same reason the Bearwallow and Alpine weren’t offered that way either.

Jeff- would you make the 375s and/or the 500s of the Pinot available to folks who were not offered futures the last go around?

Any idea when the 375ml pinot futures from last November will ship?

Thanks!

I took a case of the chard last year…the wife is killing it. She wouldn’t let me take it to the offisite. Now he goes and offers a case of the syrah…I really, really thought I was done till fall.

Here’s what’s going to be really hard to resist: a mixed case of 6 Horseshoe Chard and 6 Syrah. I had vowed to cut back on purchases like this one but that might be my breaking point under the theory that “just because I already have too much Rhys Pinot doesn’t affect purchases of Syrah and Chard.”

That’s going to be tricky Gerard. We’d love to, but we’ll have to see what’s remaining after the futures release and I don’t honestly expect they’ll be much left. The small format bottles have proven to be extremely popular.

We’re trying really hard to get those out in the next couple of weeks Joe. All of the port problems in Oakland really screwed up our bottling schedule, but our goal is to finish everything quickly and ship them out.

Thanks, Jeff! For the update. Looking forward to the wines!

Joe

Are any of these going to be poured at the release/pick up event?

Eric,
That sounds like a good idea given the timing. Typically we focus on the next wines to be released (which would not include these) but maybe we can do some of both.
Which would you most like to taste?

For me it would be prioritized in this order

1. Horseshoe pinot
  2. Horseshoe chard
  3. Alpine chard
  4. Horseshoe Syrah

I wish they were offering a mixed case of 750s. But then, for my economic viability, it may be just as well that they aren’t.