2012 Fairchild Stones No. 1 Release

Got my allocation, and a little tough to swallow at $750 for a 3 Pack, but this should be pretty awesome stuff. What do others think?

Also, I wonder how his 5 rows in LPV compare to the grapes that Fred Schrader gets. Anyone know?

Based on the pricing, his rows must be about 50% better than Schrader’s!

I bought the 2011 version of this from the same vineyard and it was quite good. No way would I go back for it at $250 though, but I would imagine the 12 would be better yet. This pricing puts this in the Shafer Hillside, Kapcsandy Grand Vin range without the track record, but I’m guessing its pretty great. And I’m guessing the #2, from Pritchard Hill I think will be even better.

Agreed. If anything my purchase today was to help get me in line for that release which should be amazing! Not that PNV means a whole lot, but it was the No. 2 wine at PNV (Pun Intended).

Alex,

IIRC, Larry told us his rows of the vineyard are right next to Schrader’s.

I passed on the 2011, but think I’ll buy the 2012. It was a great wine when we tasted it last year. But the pritchard hill and Tench vineyard barrel samples we had were ridiculously good. Gotta get in line for that…

Justin,

I know that the Stones No. 2 is the Pritchard Hill, but what is the name of what is coming from Tench? I like that vineyard a lot, and would definitely want to buy some when the time comes. And of course buy the Stones No. 2 as well.

Tench Vineyard will be Stones 3, coming soon. Can’t recall the first vintage under contract, but it may be 2013. I think Larry is purchasing fruit from Russell Bevan’s new Tench purchase, IIRC.

Yes, that is correct.

I tasted No. 1 at PNV last year. Was not a fan and I wasn’t alone with that sentiment. One of my least favorite if the whole PNV. It was a polarized wine; akin to Harlan 1997.

Tasted No. 2 last month at PNV. It was outstanding. I approached it skeptically because of last year, but it was one of the top five wines there. Exceptionally aromatic, complex, powerful but still gentle on the palate, and with a long finish.

Have not tasted No. 3.

Kyle, did you taste the 2011 or the 2012, of the No.1?

There was a comment under a different thread about Bevan’s recent vineyard purchase. I know that is rarefied air in that part of Oakville, but someone made the comment that the new vineyard is not quit up to Russel’s standards. I get it, that maybe he wants to give the vines a season or two of his personal touch before he’s willing to make a wine under his name, but given that he believes the fruit isn’t currently up to his standards, what does that mean for the Fairchild wine? Am I missing something here?

-Alex

I don’t recall the exact source of the Tench fruit, but I remember Larry was excited about it. I subsequently saw an interview with Russel Bevan saying he was selling some fruit to Larry.

Looking back at my notes, it looks like Stones 3 may be a 2015 vintage debut. That may fit better with what you said above, giving the vineyard some time to come around.

Friends,

Larry is getting a special portion of the Tench Vineyard. It is some of the red and rockiest soil in the valley. The plants are 15 years old and are in perfect health. We chose to partner with Larry because of his amazing dedication and winemaking team. We have had sever challenges with other potions of the property and pulled out four of the large blocks and have recently replanted all of them, over 16 acres in total. We have spent over two years identifying clean material, testing and re testing with Dr. James Stamp and the team at Agri Analysis. We are confident that we know have everything in place for the next 20 years.

Our work at the Saunders property is just beginning. It is a Bio D farmed site and in need of serious love. We have put in over 400 man hours just cleaning up brush and working the soil to get it in shape for this year. I am not sure if we will over water and add a little more nutrient than is ideal this year to kick start these old amazing vines, but we look at this as our future, along with Tench and will not look to stress it this year if it is a long term mistake. We have two great viticulturists work on the soil reports and will do what is right when the time comes.

All the best,
Russell Bevan
Bevan Cellars

Thanks for the information, Russel.

Thanks for the insight and update Russell! Big fan of your wines!

Bump for Russell Bevan’s post above