What vintage La Turque

image.jpg
Having difficulty posting image

This bottle was essentially a gift from a large cellar. Condensation from a pipe in the cave damaged the label and washed away the vintage. I had a similar issue with a Barolo but KenV knew the answer in a instant based on the label. Don’t think this is as easy. But there are definitely label changes over the years. So hoping someone can tell me something about this one!

The vintage should be on the cork.

Every vintage of La Turque I have seen from 87’ on has been the same, so that’s a large range.

bottle looks empty, how was it?

Anything between 1985 and now (or 2010 resp.) - all have the same main label.
Should have been on the cork …

The only difference I noted in labels was that in some the wording La Turque is up high, and others down below. The wine was terrific. And, as for the cork, it has a picture of the Chateau, E. GUIGAL in a long oval, CHATEAU D’AMPUIS, a small symbol of a capital L and capital A where the bottom of the L is the cross bar in the A, and then below that a tiny R with a space and then a slightly larger 51.

This is not what I would consider a typical vintage indicator, but it may be some sort of production code. I have a second La Turque similar in nature, two Landonnes, and one la Mouline.

Guess I will have to simply drink and enjoy them over time.

Matt, you´re absolutely right - something I´ve not noticed before:
from 1985 to 1989 the words LA TURQUE is below “COTE ROTIE” -
and from 1990 to now its above on top of the label.
So your bottle was 1990 or later,
from 2004 (I think) onwards E.GUIGAL is imprinted on all Cru-bottles in addition …