Best under $15 US Pinot I've had

2012 - Block Nine “Caiden’s Vineyards” - Medium to full-bodied cherry/strawberry with good true Pinot character and even some earth notes mixed in. Smells between sips yield some pleasing aromatic complexities of strawberries and road tar. Acid is up there but I do not find it a detractor. Tannins get lost in the acid and CA sweetness so it’s a “once in awhile” drinker for me. i.e. - When I want to get a buzz on quickly without breaking the bank and fantasize about drinking Leroy. [cheers.gif] 88 points for me.

Seems to be an OK drink from the TN’s on cellartracker (high 91 low 78, many 84 pts., several 88 its.) except one guy that says this winery suffers from intense bottle variation. Apparently I’ve opened a good bottle!

Try to find the 2012 Oyster Bay Pinot Noir from New Zealand. For $13 it’s one of the best wines/value I had in 2014

[cheers.gif] Both are now on my list for cellar defenders…thanks to both of you! [cheers.gif]

Yeh and my TN was from night #2. So it holds up with air!

I would avoid the 2013 Oyster Bay…it got a little “thick” for my tastes in 2013. Over-extracted and less Pinot-like than the 2012. I’m hopeful for 2014 though.

NV Racine Wine Co. / Rootswine Pinot Noir Un Autre Monde

Pretty tasty for $12

I’d splurg an extra $3 and go for the 2012 Cameron Willamette Valley Pinot Noir.