2013 birth year

I’m going to die with wine left in my cellar. With luck, not soon, but that’s where things are heading. I’d like to leave my daughter a stash of wine of her vintage - yes, some people think that’s silly, and I suppose it’s no more meaningful than the Jerry Seinfeld ads trying to make the gas pump hit an even number, but that’s what I’d like to do.

Premature and unreliable analysis: Loading up on Monte Bello was easy. Northern Rhone seems like a decent bet. Bordeaux? Notsomuch, unless it’s on closeout after they land. Burgundy? Never predictable, but I’m not loving the bet. German Riesling? I don’t love the off-dry style, so she won’t. [snort.gif] Dry seems a good bet.

So what else would you all be thinking?

Oh, and I’m required to produce a case of 2013s for wife’s godson.

AUSTRIA.

Petite sirah?

Phil Jones

Petit Verdot !!

Napa cab is supposed to be good in '13 right?

My best friend has 3 kids, born in '05, '07, & '13… All very good Cali Cab years.

I’ve bought a couple of very nice Mags of each year (the 05 & 07) to break out for their 21st birthday. Looking forward to picking up some 13s for the little guy.

Still backfilling my sons 91s… that’s a work in progress.

Sauternes. And some Napa Cabs like Shafer Hillside and Dunn Howell Mountain.

Thanks,
Ed

My daughter is a 13, so I’ll be watching this one closely. I’ve made two purchases for the cellar so far – Schrader & Faiveley Clos des Corton.

Well if you have faith in Premier Cru, someone on the Pegau thread mentioned the promo they were running. 2013 Climens comes to $42.50 pre tax, pre shipping.

Never tasted it, and it doesn’t sound like a collectors/speculators vintage from early reports, but who cares. A birth year Climens ought to rock for the next half century. Small, incomplete sample set but I can only remember positive experiences with the estate.

It seems hard to convince Americans to enjoy Sauternes.

My son has 50 or so Magnums and Jeros from the Mosel.

My son is 2013. I bought mags of Monte Bello, Austrian Riesling and GV and Rhys Pinot. While I’m buying less California these days and think that the roster of California wines that will drink well 20-30 years from now is limited, 2013 was a stronger vintage there an just about anywhere else other than Austria. I may buy some select Barolo and Bodeaux though with hope and prayer.

Yquem !

If you don’t like off-dry and sweet German wines, I would not include German wines. I would not have huge amounts of confidence in which trocken German wines will still be going strong in 20 years or more.

Was it 2012 or 2013 where the weather was so bad they did not bottle anything.

Wedding year here. Went wide in sauternes & German riesling so far. Gg and the very sweet ones should be really good. In Burgundy there are some really nice wines mades but as usual the producer is very important there. And apparently piemont should be really good too, one retailer was comparing with 2010 there

extremely good advice. The top Rieslings and Gruners have long, wonderful lives ahead of them.

I forgot I already ordered the Climens! (That’s how I end up with too much wine.) The Faiveley Cortons is a good idea, as are my other usual suspects in California cab (MB/Dunn/Montelena/Dominus).

Thanks!

2013 Champagne will probably be a decent vintage when it comes to market.

Not sure I follow the ‘I don’t like it so she won’t…’ logic…

Plus 2013 was a weird, extremely variable vintage in Germany, particularly (but not only) for trockens.