Leaving wine open till next day and it tastes better ?

I have read this numerous times from people’s tasting notes. And I know at least one wine store that does this for young burgundies (not sure about other wines) a day before their Saturday tasting.

However, I never experienced this for any wines myself.
Also, I never decant any wines longer than 2 hours before start drinking it. I feel a 5 hour drinking window from opening the bottle is the longest you can go…
Just to be clear though, my experience with the top tier wine is pretty limited.

Can you recommend some bottles that are less than $50 (or maybe it is not possible for “cheap” wines ?) that you recently had that improved on the second day or you decanted for an extended period of time that really make the wine tastes better ?

Thanks

The question is way too general.

First thing to keep in mind is that not everyone who writes a tasting note has a particularly astute palate.

Second thing is that even if they do, everyone’s palate is different.

Third thing is that price doesn’t really have a lot to do with whether or not a wine will be better on the second day.

Just for a few examples, some Nebbiolo is better on the second day. Not Barbaresco, just unclassified Nebbiolo that you can get for around $20. I think that has more to do with the grape than anything else though. You asked for some recommendations - pretty much all of them that I’ve tried. Pick some up and see what you think. Also Gattinara.

Some Tempranillo as well - try a few old school Gran Reservas like Murrietta, CVNE, Rioja Alta, etc.

The occasional Petite Sirah - Turley for example.

Some Cabs - some made by Dunn for example (maybe a bit over the $50 price), and some from Bordeaux, but not all.

I have mixed feelings about decanting. Sometimes a wine is really better. Sometimes it doesn’t matter as much. As for a whole day, who leaves open wine for a whole day? [cheers.gif]

Something from Cabot. One of his Syrahs. Ask him. Most of his are better after a few days on the counter, at least the ones I have had.

Interesting timing…I have a friend that likes Malbec and I have never tasted that many so I went out and bought an entry level Catena Malbec 2012 this weekend @ $23. Opened and thought it was rather rustic and not that appealing. Corked it and left the bottle on the counter. Next evening it had mellowed out and showed much, much more fruit than the night before and it was rather enjoyable. Still not sure Malbec is my thing but it was a bit of an eye opener. Makes me wonder as I would guess most of these bottle are purchased and consumed right away at a party/dinner giving the purchaser the idea it is a rustic wine when in reality there is a bunch of fruit just waiting for some air to show its stuff and shine.

Baudry chinon, best on day 2 or 3.

I drink almost every bottle of wine over multiple days, wines always show better with being open, how much time? Who knows, 10-40 hours before they oxidize, some as many as hour 2 hours before they start the decline…
I recently had a 96’ Chave, day 2 it was ok, day 3 it was almost to the point of oxidative but not quit there, much better than the day before but I wouldn’t leave it for 4 hours more.

Any wine from Emmanuel Reynaud. So below $50, that leaves you with Parisy, Domaine des Tours, Chateau des Tours. On Saturday, I opened a Domaine des Tours 2009 which was a bit bitter at the beginning. 24hours later and it was chanting. I’ve seen some improvements up to 4 days with this wine.

Alain

Pretty much any current release bedrock or carlisle will improve on the counter overnight for my palate.

Get the best taste of fruity wine after complete 2 days of Barolo Italy.

I don’t drink a ton of Baller wine (not by choice — I’m not opposed) but I tend to agree with the OP. I often drink wines over 2-3 days, recording them and refrigerating. I try to let glasses come back to room temp. I find loads of differences over the first few hours, in glass, bottle or decanter, but rarely do I find that I like a wine better on day 2.

Only exceptions I can recall were a few young cabs, Burgs and Baroli drunk too early in the name of science.

Young, well made Riesling. Those with good acidity.

Most wines will lose their freshness after the first day but in successive days reveal lots of underlying characteristics which that freshness hides. The unfolding of these characteristics is one of the things I enjoy most about wine.

Many bottles show better the next day irrespective of price …

Salute !!!

I regularly leave my samples open (no corks) after first tasting (which I usually do over about 3 hours) and see what the evolution is the following day. Most hold together very well in this scenario, even extending to multiple days. Bedrock is a good example for extending that.

I do that as well, and never vacuvin them. The reds seem to evolve over another 24 hours, and as most have mentioned here, the mud-thick ones as well. I like most whites within a couple hours of opening, especially the young, stainless steel versions. -

Almost any red that is young will benefit from a slow ox decant. The bigger the wine, the more likely two day will taste great.

I read this frequently as well, and it does not match my experience. Only on (very) rare occasion do I find a wine better on day two.

Quite often if a wine loses its freshness on the second day aerating it roughly will bring the freshness back. I’m a huge fan of tasting a young red wine over several days. Good call on the Riesling but only if I stick it in the fridge.

Sometimes it does, at other times it does not.

I’m not smart enough to figure out which wines will do what, some big structured bottles that have just seemed to fall flat on day 2, but many, even older burgundy I’ve found can improve on day 2. My '97 Gouges immediately come to mind.

^ This.