La Paulee Grand Tasting

What a wonderful event. Wonderful food, wonderful wine. A pleasure to meet the wine makers (and chefs!) who are responsible for such fantastic creations. The size of the crowd was very reasonable and provided opportunities to speak to winemakers and somms, and everyone was very generous providing repours of favorite wines. Worth every penny of the $350 (and the price of the piece of my soul I had to sell to my colleagues to sneak off for a few hours!)

Maybe the best wine event I’ve ever attended.

For me, at least, the format didn’t lend itself to systematic notetaking, so some informal thoughts are set forth below.

Favorite producer:
Fourrier! Much to my shock - I used to be very lukewarm on the wines based on extensive experience from ~1998-2005 vintages. I couldn’t believe how good the Gevrey village wine was - gorgeous red fruit and iron. Easily at the level of many of the 1er crus at other tables (in a room with extremely stiff competition!). I also absolutely adored the Gevrey Cherbaudes, which had everything the Gevrey village wine had, just with more intensity, elegance, and fragrance. Best Gevrey 1er I’ve ever had. I didn’t like the Gevrey CSJ nearly as much - it was very ripe and full, but the Cherbaudes had a magical intensity that the CSJ was missing.

Other great tables:
Faiveley. The Batard was fine, if a bit Batardish. And the Mercurey Clos du Roy was just ordinary. But, my god, the Corton. Married the accessibility of the ‘new’ Faiveley style with this amazingly mineral, piercing core. Kind of a “so THIS is why its a Grand Cru” moment. And the Beze was the best of the Bezes (light years ahead of Bouchard (overoaked) and Drouhin (good, but not remotely at the level of Faiveley). Sappy, concentrated. Wow.

Comte Liger Belair - Such a gorgeous Vosne spice note on the Vosne village and the spectacular Reignots, which was my wine of the tasting. The Reignots had the strongest “five spice” smell I’ve ever encountered in a burg, was super transparent - showed no oak and had that taut flavor-stretched-over-structure style that the best top-slope 1ers can have. Can’t imagine how good the La Romanee must be these days.

Simon Bize - Even to a stem-averse taster like me, the 2012 Bize’s were spectacular, easily the best CdB wines on the day. They’re a fitting tribute to their maker. Chisa Bize had a hint of a smirk when pouring the Savigny ‘Vergelesses’ at the end of their lineup, and no wonder: its a mere Savigny that was toe-to-toe with the Reignots and Cortons being poured at adjacent tables. Incredible depth and savoriness for a Savigny - really tasted more like a GC or top 1er from the CdN, but with layered red fruit and floral character that both keep it in the CdB. A memorable wine and best Savigny I’ve ever had.

Hubert Lignier - Well, they’re back. Pure, ever so slightly rustic burgundy, beautifully balanced and transparent. The Chambolle village was red fruited; the Moreys were meaty, the Charmes was floral and sappy. No oak, no stems, not overpolished. Just exactly what I want out of Burgundy. This is the way I remember the wines from years ago.

Other great wines: The Hudelot-Noellat Vosne Suchots (Spicy, full, seamless. Better - at least today - than the Clos Vougeot and RSV.) The Grivot Nuits Roncieres (cherry and earth! Textbook Nuits). Jadot Pommard Rugiens (dark, powerful, savory,mineral, long. Long ager. Great QPR.)

Disappointments - these were relative, since everything was at such a high level. The Hudelot-Noellat GCs didn’t blow me away, like I’d expected. Generally did not love the Mugneret-Gibourg wines in 2012; I find the winemaking signature very strong- too much so, and obscuring of the terroir. The Clos de Tart and Meo Camuzet wines were OK, but did not jump out as particularly fine. Lafarge was stuck pouring their 2011s due to the hail, and while fine for 2011s, the celery seed note was so prominent when tasted in a room filled with 2012s (as it was for the 2011 Clos de Tart, too).

For whites, I found it generally to be by the book, with one huge exception. The best of the day for me were the PYCM CC and Roulot Meursault Perrieres - shocking, I know. Also really loved the Jadot CC, which was unctuously concentrated but without the blowsy/botrytal character that some of the other GC whites had - it had that piercing chalk/acid element that I like so much in the whites. I did not like the Jacques Prieur wines generally, and that extended to the Montrachet, which was, well, blowsy/botrytal. I also strongly disliked the Leflaives across the board - they are simply not for me. Best QPR was the excellent Montille/Chateau du Puligny St. Aubin Remilly, which is every bit the equal of the bottles from this excellent vineyard from Lamy and PYCM.

As I noted above, this was about as much fun as I’ve had at a tasting, ever. The food was EXCELLENT and generally compatible with tasting. I can’t imagine doing this tasting and then going to the big dinner. It was tough enough going back to work at my desk!

Really was an exceptional event.

As for the best tables, I would have to say Comte Liger Belair stole the show for me. So gracious of them to pour the Aux Reignots, which was my wine of the day. Unlike you I thought the Mugneret Gibourg wines were great, definitely my favorite Clos Vougeot and the Ruchottes was top notch as well. Also like Hudelot Noellat, though where the RSV didn’t show very well (much like the Fourrier CSJ), the Suchots I thought was probably the best red wine in its price range, and the Clos Vougeot showed well also.

Did you notice that Faiveley Beze wasn’t just a Faiveley Beze, it was their old vine! Definitely a top moment for me as well, even though the oak on it was a little overwhelming.

Of the whites the PYCM Meursault Charmes and Roulot Luchets stood out to me. The whites overall lack some freshness in 2012 I tend to think.

David- great notes and thank you for taking the time to post. Were the Fourrier and Faiveley 2012 0r 13 wines ?

thanks

Everyone was pouring 12s that I saw except Lafarge and Clos de Tart (pouring their 11 alongside the 12)

My impressions aren’t too different from David’s. Liger-Belair, Fourrier, and Faiveley really stood out for me on the red side. Liger-Belair was the only lineup that I liked significantly better than the 10s tasted here two years ago (I thought their 10s were very good but a tad oaky), and the Reignots in particular was brilliant. Faiveley’s Corton is wonderful and probably the best “value” in high-end grand crus today, and their Clos de Beze-Cuvee Rodin is flat-out fantastic, if you can ever find it, easily the best of the several Bezes being poured and maybe my favorite wine of the tasting. Fourrier had the best village wines in the room by far and the 1ers were excellent as well. I didn’t think there was a whole lot of difference between the excellent Cherbaudes and the CSJ, certainly not enough to justify the 2-3x difference in price.

Domaines for red that I really liked, but didn’t quite hit the heights of the three mentioned above: Hudelot-Noellat (not as good as their knockout 2010s, but still very nice, especially the Suchots), Grivot (showed the different terroirs really well), Bize (the Aux Vergelesses was especially impressive), Lignier (pure and old-school with a tannic grippy style that was unusual in the room). Domaines I found disappointing for red were Eugenie (too ripe and oaky for me), Clos de Tart (too oaky), Bouchard (too oaky and reductive), and Prieur (boring).

On the white side, Roulot really stood out. The prices are a shame, because the wines are wonderful. Their Meursault Perreires was probably my favorite white of the day. I also really liked Colin-Morey (poured whites from four different villages, and they all showed the different characters), Lafon (as long as you skip the meh basic village bottling), Fevre, Jadot (excellent Corton-Charlemagne), and Bouchard. I agree with David that Leflaive was massively underwhelming, the biggest underperformer relative to reputation in the room by miles for me. And the Prieur whites were as meh as the reds, even the Montrachet.

I loved lots of the '12s tasted yesterday! The '12 Comte Liger-Belair wines are exactly the same as I remember tasting them at the winery - I wish that I could find more of those wines especially the premier crus! My notes will be coming soon… In the end, I do still think that the '10 vintage from almost all of these wineries are better overall.

Agree. 10s clearly better than 12s, 12s clearly better than 11s. Very clean vintage hierarchy until you get to the 09s which are all over the place . . .

Sounds as though the Grand Tasting was as enjoyable as ever–very sorry that I waited too to long to sign up for it. Thanks for the wonderful notes.

Thanks for the notes, David. Liger-Belair really is putting out some nice wines. Too bad about the price creep (or sprint) I was sorry to miss it this year after making it the past three years, but will attend in SF next year (only 45 minutes away, so no excuses!). The Verticals Tasting is always the highlight for me.

2012 was the first year that Guillaume Bott had taken over the red ferments, having been in charge of whites since 2004. Whole cluster treatment and cap management have been pulled back significantly.

Agree for the most part with previous posts. Fourrier and Compte Liger Belair really stood out. The 2011 Lafarge, came out quite green on on this setting. Did not care for the Simon Bizes. As a board QPR favorite i thought they lacked any personality and seemed out of their league.

COREY: I found your comment on the Eugenies interesting. I could have confused them with a William Selyem on a blind taste very easily.

Finally the food was exceptional. I made a point of taking some of the pours and sip alongside the duck and cocq a vin. Made the wine taste even better.

Agree with much of this with a few exceptions.

I really liked the Mugneret-Gibourg wines. Pure and finesse
driven even in a year like 2012. I liked them enough to feel they were the best I tasted in red along with Hudelot and Liger Belair. The RSV from Hudelot was so bound up and tight. Difficult at the point I tasted it. (First 30 minutes) I have faith that will be a good wine. All the others were wide open.

The Bize wines were great. Fourrier really hits the wheelhouse in a vintage like this. Forward. Sexy. Wide open. He never misses in these kinds of years. I loved the Grivot wines even though they are very structured.

The Lafarge wines were difficult to taste after all those fruit forward wines. I liked the Clos de Tart from 2011 quite a bit. I thought the 2012 was a little over done but that was just my taste buds.

I felt all were great but not up to the standard of the 2010s.

This is a very difficult event to pull off and the crew from La Paulee seems to always make it happen with panache. Chapeau!

David, can you elaborate? Is there some point in time that you didn’t like the wines?

The '07,'08, and '09 Reignots out of mag at the verticals was my favorite trio. If I had to pick one of this great trio, I would go with the '08.

That’s great to hear Paul. I just reloaded on those.

I don’t think the Mugneret-Gibourg wines were bad, they just are a touch manufactured/polished for my taste. They all taste the same; silky, red fruited, floral. That’s great because I love red-fruited and floral wines, but when your Nuits tastes like your Chambolle tastes like your Ruchottes, then you lose points for a too-strong winemaking signature, IMO. For my palate they were not unlike the Eugenie’s, just on a different side of the spectrum; both producers poured a set of wines that tasted more like the producer’s signature than the underlying terroir (though the Eugenie signature was, of course, completely different). In the dark style, I preferred Burguet to Eugenie; in the feminine style, I preferred Fourrier to Mugneret-Gibourg.

As for the Hubert Lignier wines, I’d had some meh ones from after Romain Lignier (sp?) passed away, so I was happy to see them back on form in their rustic style.

Great event.Pleasure tasting all those 12’s in one place.Seems most pretty much agree it was Comte Ligier Belair and Fourrier for the reds and Roulot and PYCM for the whites , although thats being a little severe.Most of the villages were less than I hoped for, but there was very little premier and grand cru that was undrinkable. When tasting this quickly,it’s easy to lose some of the nuances from the different wines.Temperature of the wines was more inconsistent than the quality. I like the vintage more for red than white from what I tasted yesterday, but some of the whites were great. Sorry I didn’t catch some of you.

I also very much liked the Mugneret-Gibourg wines. Lots of producers were fabulous, with MG and Hudelot-Noellat sticking out for me. I also very much liked Lafon’s Volnay Santenots. A producer I liked more than usual was Burguet. Overall, the reds were rich with lots of flavor, but with a certain bitterness to them that made them harder to taste than at past events. My guess is that the bitterness goes away, but the only thing I have ever had where I got that was 1994 German wines when they were very young.

By contrast, the whites to me were really easy to taste. Probably a bit lower acidity than in past years, these should drink well young. Loved the wines from Bouchard, Drouhin and Faively. The only producer with really good acidity was Domaine Leflaive, and their wines were really impressive (I did not like the Meursault as much as the other three wines, but that has been true in the past as well and when I have had that wine a few years later it has been quite good). I am getting a fondness for Christian Moreau’s Chablis. I have not looked at his prices, but I thought his Vaillons was quite good (obviously the Grand Crus were better) and should be a really good value for the money. I could go on and on with whites but rather than do that I will just mention PYCM as another producer whose wines I really liked, as usual. One more to mention was Oliver Leflaive. Apparently, the wines we had were all domaine wines - that he now has obtained some of the Leflaive vineyards. I thought those wines were very good, but much more easy going than Domaine Leflaive.

If anyone wants relative value wines from the tasting, I thought Faiveley’s Mercury was pretty impressive for what it was and liked the Macons from Lafon (esp the Vire-Clese and the Clos du Four) and the St. Aubin from PYCM.

I had the Lafarge wines after drinking the whites and before going to the 2012 reds for that reason. I thought they were impressive for the vintage. I have found a lot of 2011s to be pretty hard with limited fruit. Either they are getting more fruit than they had a year or year and a half ago or Lafarge really did well in the vintage. I very much liked their wines.

An excellent tasting. The food was outstanding…best yet. At one point the entire tasting room was filled with mild smoke and smoky aromas. On cue, a taster in front of me commented on the smoky qualities of the wine he was tasting.

Tastings of this nature make “speed dating” look like a slow plodding process (as one of the pouring Somms commented). I used to put more stock in the impressions…rapid fire snapshots that may or may not be in focus. One can certainly underestimate palate fatique after 100+ tastes.

My thoughts on the whites:

Table 1 - Commune de Meursault
Jean Philippe Fichet - 2012 Meursault Tessons. Bold and bright ½*
Vincent Latour - 2012 Meursault Grands Charrons. Good intensity ½*
Ballot-Millot - 2012 Meursault Charmes 1er. Closed nose but lovely structure. *

Table 2 - Christian Moreau
2012 Chablis Vaillon 1er. Lovely. Rich yet clean. *
2012 Chablis Valmur GC. Lighter and elegant ½*

Table 3 - William Fevre
2012 Chablis Bougros GC. Great intensity. Wow. *
2012 Chablis Les Clos GC. Balanced and tasty. ½*

Table 4 - Frantz Chagnoleau
A tough venue for this young passionate winemaker to promote his vision of cleaner leaner Maconnais whites. Most were comparatively simple but his 2013 St. Veran A La Cote had intriguing minerals/spice along with its invitingly bright structure. ½* Very nice wine for $30-ish.

Table 5 - Paul Pillot
2012 Chassagne-Montrachet Clos Saint Jean 1er - Floral, bright and tasty. ½*
2012 Chassagne-Montrachet La Romanee 1er. Elegant. Great length. *

Table 6 - PYCM
Years of hype have raised my expectations to unreasonable levels.
2012 Meursault Charmes 1er. Very pretty with honey and lanolin along balanced by fine acidity. ½*.
The Corton Charlie was big boned and tasty. For $180+ it didn’t ring my bell.

Table 7 - Antoine Jobard
2012 Meursault Blagny 1er. Bright, balanced and quite attractive. ½*
2012 Meursault Genevrieres 1er. The volume is turned up but the balance remains. *

Table 8 - Olivier Leflaive
Not as impressed overall as I’d hoped. The 2012 Batard was very tasty…but for $400+, it should’ve knocked my socks off.

Table 9 - Pierre Morey / Morey-Blanc
2012 Bourgogne Chardonnay. The only wine of the lineup that appealed to me. Worth considering for $30-ish.

Table 10 - Roulot
Over-hyped? Maybe. Riding the wave for justifiable reasons.
2012 Meursault Luchets. Mineral flecked lithe, clean and lovely. *
2012 Meursault Perrieres, 1er. Lovely structure, slightly softer acidity. Complex and captivating. *

Table 11 - Domaine Leflaive
2012 Meursault Sous le Dos d’Ane 1er. Clean and tasty. But $125+?? - 1/2*
2012 Puligny-Montrachet. Clean and direct. ½*. $75 is steep for this
2012 Puligny-Montrachet Clavoillon 1er. Bright mineral typicity. ½*

Table 12 - Comtes Lafon
2012 Meursault. Very tasty if somewhat simple. $90+…really? ½*
2012 Meursault Clos de la Barre. This was a Wow. Bright. Great minerality. Fine Length. **

Table 12a - Heretiers du Comte lafon. Missed them.

Table 13 - Jacques Prieur.
Forget the old stereotypical oaky ripe Prieur wines. Those days are over.
2012 Montrachet. This wine simply stole the show. My White of the day. *** For $700+. I don’t expect to ever own a bottle or taste it again.

Table 14 - Hospices de Beaune. Missed them.

RT