knocked down to size by Arnot-Roberts

Rats. For thirty seconds or so I had status.
Then came the apology email, “Whoops, you’re not one of our select group of valued supporters! If you didn’t already read that other email offering you wine, just don’t! That’s not for you.”
Oh well.

Haha, me too! This is a clip from the e-mail I received:

With this offering, we are extending a per-release invitation to a select group of valued supporters as a thank you. Beginning TODAY, your allocation is guaranteed through March 1st. On March 2nd, allocations are no longer guaranteed and the remaining wine will be sold on a first-come, first-served basis to all of our list members.

I was thinking, huh? I’ve purchased a total of three bottles from them back last fall so I was wondering how I could be a “valued supporter” and I knew they weren’t desperate for business. The wines they mentioned sounded super (probably above my budget anyway) so I clicked on the link for my allocation and came to my page that said I had NO allocations at this time.

I thought maybe they just hadn’t put it up on the web site yet, and so I should wait a little while to try again. Then I got the Dear John follow up e-mail of no wine for you.

That’s fine with me as I didn’t deserve to be on that list with my tiny prior purchase, but how embarrassing for them! [wow.gif]

Hmmmm…well I got two of the offerings within 30 minutes, Brian. Guess that make me really special!!! [snort.gif]

This offering is just a guaranteed allocation, something new for A-R. I’m pretty confident that there’ll be plenty left on the table come Mon morning.

Tom

Same result here. It is really a good thing though since I don’t need more wine. I do like their Trousseau though.

Me too…except I just signed up for their list about 3 weeks ago. Either way, I am glad that we get a sneak peek of what might still be available on Monday, plus it was a good reminder to ask my wife for my allowance this week

I should have known that with only a 2 minute interval between emails that I am low on the pecking order. [basic-smile.gif] When I clicked on the “see allocation” tab, I was told I have no allocation. [scratch.gif]

Huh, so that’s what happened… I wonder what it takes to get a guaranteed allocation, I’ve bought something like 2 cases a year from them over the last couple years.

I took the plunge last year, based on talk here.

The 2012 Arnot-Roberts Old Vine White Field Blend was nothing special.
The 2012 Arnot-Roberts Ribolla Gialla Vare Vineyard at $40, was a disappointment.

The 2012 Arnot-Roberts Syrah Griffin’s Lair isn’t getting what I would call flattering reviews on CT.

Remind me why I should purchase A/R this year.

For those that actually do have access to the pre-release, can you give us some info on pricing?

me too

Clajeux - Montecillo Single Vineyard Cabs 85
Fellom 90
New Cab Blend 65
Clary Syrah 50
Griffins Syrah 55
Whole Cluster Syrah 75
Ribolla 40

No comment on the whites above, but the Trout Gulch Chardonnay’s have been very impressive.

I had the 2012 Arnot-Roberts Griffin’s this past weekend, along with Bedrock and Spottswooode versions of the same vineyard, same vintage. Everybody preferred the Bedrock except me. I preferred the AR by a slight margin. I have some 2005 AR Syrah’s in the cellar and they just get better every year.

The oldest AR I have had is a 2004 Cab and it was pretty epic.

To me this is a little like Rhys, I haven’t had a Rhys blow my mind yet, but I think they will if I hold them long enough.

As Tom Hill brought up above, do you really need a guaranteed allocation for this?
It seems like even today I can find pretty much every bottling of their last couple vintages on the retail market. So i’m curious what you think you might be shut out of before Monday.

And don’t get me wrong, I have enjoyed Arnot-Roberts in the past. I did get the emails, and if I were buying CA wine I would probably buy - but I stopped with the 2010 vintage. The syrahs anyway have always been very backwards to me and in need of tons of bottle age, esp. with the high stem inclusion (which I like). So it doesn’t surprise me that 2012 vintage Syrah is not knocking people out right now.

If you didn’t enjoy their field blend from Compagni Portis last year I’d say A-R is not for you. We loved this wine.

I have some 2006 A-R Griffin’s Lair Syrah that is probably ready to enjoy now.

Bedrock CP is far superior to A-R, and at a reasonable price.

Had them both, side by side even. They are different, and actually different varieties in each wine as every block of C-P is unique. I think A-R’s part of C-P is heavy with Sylvaner but I’d let the pros who visit here comment more cogently.

That is accurate from my conversations a couple of years ago with the respective winemakers. Apparently Morgan wants the gewurz heavy blocks from CP while A-R and Carlisle do not.

Question for those with guaranteed allocations… are alcohol %'s listed? My experience with A-R wines has been better on the north side of 13%.

Would someone please opine on the cabs being offered? I’ve never had an A-R cab and would like to try some, but there are several to choose from and would appreciate some insight.

Ha, I never got the apology e-mail, just the “Sorry you have no allocation available” when I clicked the link.

yes
We did a blind tasting of them last year and A-R was the preferred choice of all present.
For the record, I love the Bedrock too.