Best Chiantis in 2010??

With so much talk about how great Brunellos are in 2010 I am interested in opinions on what are the best mid-term to long aging classic Chiantis that were made in 2010.

There was a thread previously that had some discussion of ageworthy Chianti. Might be worth digging up to look at.

Nate, I think the 2010 Felsina Reserva is a must own for around $25-$30. I’m not a big fan of the more highly oaked cuvees. This is just one big step up from the basic chianti for a few dollars more. The Reserva is sweet spot for me. It would also make great wine to age out for 10-15yrs plus. I have 2 left I’m aging and may acquire more. Otherwise to be honest, I prefer select Brunello to most Chianti. Excepting Montevertine.

I haven’t had the 2010, but the 2009 of this [tasted Dec 25 2014] was the best chianti I’ve ever had in my life [by a rather long shot]:

Here it is at Wine-Searcher:

http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/selvapiana+bucerchiale+riserva

But I don’t know whether they were able to reproduce the miracle of 2009 again in 2010.

I own some of these and tried one so far. I think its going to take some time for the oak to get out of the way for my palate. I really like the their basic $17 wine which I find a lot more transparent & ethereal for my liking.

Felsina CCR is extremely at its pricepoint. Marchese Antinori & Villa Antinori CCRs also very good around that price range; both are weightier than the Felsina.

And of course the Felsina Rancia will probably be great one day, once it unwinds.

Are you talking about the 2010?

Try the 2010 Bucerchiale before buying in quantity. I’m a fan of that bottling but was disappointed with the 2010. One of my few disappointments with any 2010 Italian wine.

Bummer.

The 2009 was just stunning.

I’m talking about the 2009 Bucerchiale. On the standard $17 cuvee I can’t remember what vintage I had last, maybe 2011?

Galloni was crazy over the 2010 Fontodi Chianti Classico Riserva Vigna del Sorbo. 98+ points, the highest score he has ever given a Chianti.

Pretty much everything in the Chianti area in 2010 was beautiful. From base Chianti, Classico, Carmignano, Vino Nobile ertc. It was one of those years where most things just worked out great. Many of these wine are gone, as the current vintage is 2012.

When was the last time you tried the 2009?

We opened a bottle for Christmas, with roast beef and wild rice, not expecting much, and we followed it for four [or maybe six?] hours, and were mesmerized by it.

I’ve never before encountered a Sangiovese which offered up such a panoply of different faces.

I dunno - maybe we just got really lucky - right place at the right time and whatnot.

Chianti from good producers should be fine for mid term drinkers. And if they make a Riserva that will be very good also.

Isole e Olena
Castello dei Rampolla
Felsina
Castello di Ama
Selvapiana

Several producers will produce a Gran Selezione in 2010. Depending on the price, something to consider.

Mine was in early June. Who knows maybe the pairing wasn’t great or I was in surly mood. I wanted to love it but didn’t. I did note that it deserves lots more time to come together and show its stuff. I felt it was pretty primary and had some masking oak, at that point. I’ll hang onto my 2 btls till at least 2019 for the next one.

Anyone try the 2010 Fontodi CC ? Within the last 6 months, I’ve had a really good 1997 Fontodi CC and a couple of fabulous 1999s. On the strength of those showings, I’ve ordered some 2010s to put away for a decade or so. I’ve not tasted any yet though…

I like Fontodi too. I tasted the 10 CC about a year ago at Tre Bicchieri and thought it had lots of potential. Bought a few but will wait a while before opening one.

As I have a half-dozen of the 2010 Bucerchiale I’d be interested to see if anyone else sees an issue with them. Normally I’d be keeping them buried for another 3+ years before trying a bottle.

I was also on ct with glowing reviews of the '09. I picked up 6 of the '10, very good but didn’t have the Magic of the '09. If you were a fan of the '09 I think you would still be a fan of '10. For me it delivered solid value for the price point.

The Bucerchiale has the stuff to go very long. I have had several bottles of 1996 that were amazing. And on Mon night I opened a 2007 was was drinking well but young. I really don’t think that these wines drink well before 7-10 years of age.

On Mon I had dinner with Francesco Daddi owner of Castello La Leccia. Although I have limited experience with the wines I was impressed with his approach, knowledge and passion. Certainly worth picking up a few bottles.
http://www.castellolaleccia.com/index-english.html