Will you drink a bad wine because you can't stand the thought of pouring out something expensive?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Mark B

Will you drink a bad wine because you can't stand the thought of pouring out something expensive?

#1 Post by Mark B » February 17th, 2015, 4:33 pm

There was a time when I used to suffer through bad wines because the price tag was pressuring me to do so. Nowadays, I'm finding I'm less and less concerned about how much money was spent, and more and more concerned over how much I truly enjoy the wine in my glass. What say you?
M@rk "Drinx" Boldizs@r

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#2 Post by c fu » February 17th, 2015, 4:36 pm

no.

Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Vamsi Kaipa

#3 Post by Vamsi Kaipa » February 17th, 2015, 4:38 pm

Nope.
I rather have good wine ruin my liver than a bad one
ITB

Michael S. Monie

#4 Post by Michael S. Monie » February 17th, 2015, 4:38 pm

Never. There is no such thing as a little corked.
It's the root of all evil and you know the rest, but it's way ahead of what's second best.

Joel W

#5 Post by Joel W » February 17th, 2015, 4:40 pm

Agreed.... Don't get me wrong, I'm pissed. But down the sink (or in your case, toilet in need of a good scrubbing) it goes if flawed... regardless of the price.
J W.e.1.t.y
Calm Down...

Mark B

#6 Post by Mark B » February 17th, 2015, 4:41 pm

C Fu wrote:no.

I heard about this, as it was before my time. Was it really so bad as to warrant a sink dump? [wow.gif]
M@rk "Drinx" Boldizs@r

C. Tumey

#7 Post by C. Tumey » February 17th, 2015, 4:42 pm

I have a quite broad definition of "acceptable", so I have no problem pouring out something I just can't stand. But thankfully I've only had to do that once in the last few months, either I've had good luck or am just a calculating buyer...
Chris

Joe B
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Joe B » February 17th, 2015, 4:51 pm

No. I have poured out plenty of wine.
J W@ll @ce

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Michael Martin » February 17th, 2015, 5:15 pm

Nope. Crap goes down the drain.

Mike V e r h i l l e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Mike V e r h i l l e » February 17th, 2015, 5:16 pm

No Poured out a bottle of 2001 Sloan 2 weeks ago.

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Jason T » February 17th, 2015, 5:18 pm

There was a time when I suffered through even cheap bad wines. No more. Down the drain. I could get hit by a bus tomorrow. Do I really want my last memory on this planet to involve drinking bad wine?
J@son Tr@ughber

Sean Devaney

#12 Post by Sean Devaney » February 17th, 2015, 5:25 pm

If it is just "bad" down it goes but if it is flawed (tca, brett, ect.) I see about getting a replacement or refund. I also don't just pour a bottle down the drain as once in a while the wine comes arround.

Daniel McIntosh

#13 Post by Daniel McIntosh » February 17th, 2015, 5:46 pm

Some bad bottles are worse than other bad bottles. I'll drink something that's not too far off.

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#14 Post by Merrill Lindquist » February 17th, 2015, 5:55 pm

No problem dumping out wine I do not like. Sometimes it horrifies others, but that's the way it goes.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Scott Brunson » February 17th, 2015, 6:03 pm

Don't give it a second thought
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

Sean Malloy
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Sean Malloy » February 17th, 2015, 6:05 pm

No problem dumping flawed wine. Also no problem dumping bad wine that is not flawed. Life is too short. But I always let it sit overnight before dumping to see if it needed a day. in rare cases, that has rescued a wine I thought was bad.

Rick.T

#17 Post by Rick.T » February 17th, 2015, 6:20 pm

No problem dumping wine I don't like.
T~@~n**d~y

LMD Ermitaño

#18 Post by LMD Ermitaño » February 17th, 2015, 6:25 pm

No.
Luis Manuel Debuque Monreal Ermitaño

Thomas Keim
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Thomas Keim » February 17th, 2015, 6:27 pm

If it's corked, it's down the drain. If I don't like it, I open something else immediately and monitor the other wine over the next couple of days. Had many a frog turn into a prince after 24 hours.
ITB - The Yoerg Brewing Company

"What if I fall?" "Oh, but my darling, what if you fly?"

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Jason T » February 17th, 2015, 6:46 pm

Merrill Lindquist wrote:No problem dumping out wine I do not like. Sometimes it horrifies others, but that's the way it goes.
Ages ago, about eight years before I even discovered wine, some friends set me up with this woman who I both quite fancied and was also quite intimidated by, as she was smart, well cultured, and very opinionated. I cooked dinner for them, and during the meal the object of my affection deemed a particular bottle undrinkable.

I didn't see anything wrong with the wine at the time and honestly don't remember that far back to recall what flaw it may have been. But she made a face, got up in the middle of dinner, walked over to the sink, and dumped the decanter down the drain.

I remember being being quite smitten by that moment, and it played right into my perception of her. I mean here was a woman who just got up and dumped out wine that wasn't good enough for her! What can't she do!

Now I don't even bat an eye. Down the drain it goes.
J@son Tr@ughber

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by alan weinberg » February 17th, 2015, 6:48 pm

pour it out . . .

Joe S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Joe S. » February 17th, 2015, 6:56 pm

Nope - no problem dumping. Doesn't mean I have to LIKE dumping it, though! Depending the flaw, I also will let it sit for 24 hours or more. Most of my dumping seems to be premox though, and they never seem to come around!
-- J. 'eS-eye-dee-dee-ay-eL-eL-
BornToRhone (CT)

Ron Kramer

#23 Post by Ron Kramer » February 17th, 2015, 7:01 pm

Always wait until the next day to see what it's doing

Daniel McIntosh

#24 Post by Daniel McIntosh » February 17th, 2015, 7:07 pm

Is a flawed wine a bad wine? Think the variability of Pegau

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#25 Post by Merrill Lindquist » February 17th, 2015, 7:09 pm

This thread is not likely to bring out the folks who reluctantly drink wines they don't like. Just because. I know a man with a palate that I respect, who has a huge cellar, but he will try and try and try to like that wine. Actually, I know more than one man who fits this description. Not me. I am a wine brat. My affection for wine came later in life, and coincided with my entry into the wine-producing world, so things have been a bit skewed. Admittedly. But in answer to the the question posed in the OP? Nope, not me.
Merrill

Mark B

#26 Post by Mark B » February 17th, 2015, 7:13 pm

I remember Ryan and I had to dump a '59 Latour a few months back. Thankfully, the other bottle was otherworldly.

flirtysmile
M@rk "Drinx" Boldizs@r

PCLIN

#27 Post by PCLIN » February 17th, 2015, 7:24 pm

Give me a Labatt instead.
Chiu Lin

Chuck Anderson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Chuck Anderson » February 17th, 2015, 7:32 pm

Why does everyone seem to acquire so much wine they don't like? I'm guiltier than the next guy of taking flyers - at least they're more often single bottle flyers these days - on new-to-me producers, and even then it's pretty rare to open something outright unlikable.

When that does happen, it's typically with a new world wine I find undrinkably over the top (most recently a 2004 Baldacci Brenda's, ugh) which puts it right in the wheelhouse of a few neighbors in our building. So ideally it gets gifted, not dumped. And I didn't end up with *too* much of that stuff before learning not to buy more of it.

If a bottle's at least meh to meh plus I'll probably drink it (more so on a weeknight) or at least freeze it for cooking. I'd feel both wasteful and goofily grandiose dumping bottles left and right for being not quite special enough.

Aha, I suppose one or two night a week drinkers are probably quicker with the trigger: opening a bottle is more of an occasion, not just part of dinner?

(Of course flawed bottles get dumped. I've probably slogged through some very mildly corked bottles in the past, but these days will abandon such bottles readily - and probably seek a refund/replacement.)

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Randy Bowman » February 17th, 2015, 7:39 pm

We eat a lot of Italian food and Carrie always needs some Red to go into the sauce. Wine we don't care for is usually good enough for the sauce.

As for whites, they may get poured unless it's an SB or other acidic white. They me be saved for a while to use on red wine spills.
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

Br@d S w @ l l o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Br@d S w @ l l o w » February 17th, 2015, 7:43 pm

Thomas Keim wrote:If it's corked, it's down the drain. If I don't like it, I open something else immediately and monitor the other wine over the next couple of days. Had many a frog turn into a prince after 24 hours.
This. But if it stays a frog, down the drain it goes.
"Oh, bliss! Bliss and heaven! Oh, it was gorgeousness and gorgeosity made flesh. It was like a bird of rarest spun heaven metal or like silvery wine flowing in a spaceship, gravity all nonsense now. As I slooshied, I knew such lovely pictures!" ~Alex

ericskitei

#31 Post by ericskitei » February 17th, 2015, 7:47 pm

Mark B wrote:

I heard about this, as it was before my time. Was it really so bad as to warrant a sink dump? [wow.gif]

Is that real or just an empty bottle re-filled for the picture. Scary sight!

Tim Heaton

#32 Post by Tim Heaton » February 17th, 2015, 8:02 pm

Another Bedrock thread? [snort.gif] newhere [smileyvault-ban.gif]
ITB, www.italianwinereviews.com
CT: Tim Heaton

Rick.T

#33 Post by Rick.T » February 17th, 2015, 8:03 pm

Chuck Anderson wrote:Why does everyone seem to acquire so much wine they don't like? I'm guiltier than the next guy of taking flyers - at least they're more often single bottle flyers these days - on new-to-me producers, and even then it's pretty rare to open something outright unlikable.
I didn't read in any posts where this is a common occurrence but it does happen. I probably dump 3 bottles a year that are flawed. The consumption varies from person to person but there are numerous people who drink over 300 bottles a year so flawed and plonk bottles are inevitable. I come across bottles that I don't care for now and then but it isn't very common but it does happen.

[cheers.gif]
T~@~n**d~y

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by David Glasser » February 17th, 2015, 8:22 pm

Sean Malloy wrote:No problem dumping flawed wine. Also no problem dumping bad wine that is not flawed. Life is too short. But I always let it sit overnight before dumping to see if it needed a day. in rare cases, that has rescued a wine I thought was bad.
This.

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by David Glasser » February 17th, 2015, 8:23 pm

Chuck Anderson wrote:Why does everyone seem to acquire so much wine they don't like?
Says the man with the Crapula avatar. champagne.gif

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by David Glasser » February 17th, 2015, 8:24 pm

ericskitei wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Is that real or just an empty bottle re-filled for the picture. Scary sight!
It's as real as the mustache in his avatar.

Joe B
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Joe B » February 17th, 2015, 8:40 pm

I once poured out a fifty dollar bottle of wine in front of my girlfriend. I said it was corked. She looked at me a bit worried. We opened another bottle. About a hundred bucks for it. Before she knew what was happening I was at the sink again.

She was perplexed when I grabbed the bottle of tequila and some shot glasses but I think she now understands.
J W@ll @ce

Mark B

#38 Post by Mark B » February 17th, 2015, 8:49 pm

David Glasser wrote:
What's more shocking is that Fu was slumming it in that outdated kitchen. That almost makes my apartment look good.

[snort.gif]
M@rk "Drinx" Boldizs@r

Paul Klos

#39 Post by Paul Klos » February 17th, 2015, 10:09 pm

"Life's too short to drink bad wine."

dbailey

#40 Post by dbailey » February 18th, 2015, 1:15 am

I glugged my way through a completely poxed bottle of 05 boillot pucelles over 2 nights last week. Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face.
Dan

Leonard Maran

#41 Post by Leonard Maran » February 18th, 2015, 9:55 am

Randy Bowman wrote:We eat a lot of Italian food and Carrie always needs some Red to go into the sauce. Wine we don't care for is usually good enough for the sauce.

As for whites, they may get poured unless it's an SB or other acidic white. They me be saved for a while to use on red wine spills.
My rule of thumb is to not cook with wine I refuse to drink.

RS Beck

#42 Post by RS Beck » February 18th, 2015, 9:58 am

If it's bad, it goes down the drain, no matter the cost.
Rob

Chuck Anderson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by Chuck Anderson » February 18th, 2015, 10:05 am

David Glasser wrote:
Chuck Anderson wrote:Why does everyone seem to acquire so much wine they don't like?
Says the man with the Crapula avatar. champagne.gif
My point exactly: I know what I like! neener

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#44 Post by Merrill Lindquist » February 18th, 2015, 10:20 am

Leonard Maran wrote:
Randy Bowman wrote:We eat a lot of Italian food and Carrie always needs some Red to go into the sauce. Wine we don't care for is usually good enough for the sauce.

My rule of thumb is to not cook with wine I refuse to drink.
I have come to that conclusion as well, Leonard. If it is a good wine and has just been open too many days because other wines seemed more interesting or you ended up going out instead of staying in for dinner, then it becomes cooking wine for a period of time. But if it is a wine I did not even want to drink a glass of? Down it goes.
Merrill

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#45 Post by c fu » February 18th, 2015, 10:23 am

Mark B wrote:
David Glasser wrote:
What's more shocking is that Fu was slumming it in that outdated kitchen. That almost makes my apartment look good.

[snort.gif]
oh no, my toilet was perfectly clean, didn't look like someone took 8 straight shits without flushing. [snort.gif]
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Chae Yi

#46 Post by Chae Yi » February 18th, 2015, 10:41 am

you are all ballahs.

I save the bad wine for the teen punks in the neighborhood.

Flemming P

#47 Post by Flemming P » February 18th, 2015, 11:11 am

I also do it this way.
Sean Malloy wrote:No problem dumping flawed wine. Also no problem dumping bad wine that is not flawed. Life is too short. But I always let it sit overnight before dumping to see if it needed a day. in rare cases, that has rescued a wine I thought was bad.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Jay Miller » February 18th, 2015, 12:01 pm

Nope.

Though sometimes I might be crying or screaming as I pour it out.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Robert B.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Robert B. » February 18th, 2015, 12:09 pm

RS Beck wrote:If it's bad, it goes down the drain, no matter the cost.
I agree with him.
B. = Bedwell
CT: RobertB321
Vivino: Robert B
Avatar is me in Oxford England fall of 2014

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by Mark Y » February 18th, 2015, 12:26 pm

I dump wine if it's corked/severely flawed.. so bad in terms of flaw..

i wouldn't dump it just b/c i didn't particular like it... especially not if others are around.. will just leave it.. on the counter. someone usually drinks it.
Y.e.

Return to “Wine Talk”