Grenache - what is it I don't like?

I popped open a bottle of Grenache this evening. Well made in its style, absolutely nothing technically wrong with it. Like every Grenache I’ve ever had, it has a tinny medicinal aftertaste that just doesn’t do it for me.

Anyone else have similar experiences? Am I missing something?

Oh, and one other point - I have had no issues when Grenache is part of a blend - just when it’s the only grape.

Where was it from? Some of the single varietal ones from Spain, or Southern France are pretty good.

Australia may be a touch trickier.

At least you understand your palate, no harm in not liking everything.

California

Some are acidic and thin with flavors like rhubarb that aren’t necessarily appealing to everyone. I am in the same camp. Can only drink a few a year. Jaffurs makes a rather complex one, that I enjoy, Nicora too, but that is about it.

At one time I loved Grenache, now I loathe it. To me ripe cherry/strawberry brought to the nth degree is horrible, but I did enjoy the lower octane wines of pre 01’ in cnp. California I have never enjoyed it because it just is too much ripe berry for me.
Washington, cayuse GOK and The Boy are the only two that I have enjoyed.
Both have more balance and great savory notes.
Come to think of it, the older I get the more savory I like my wine…

Interesting conversation. Perhaps that metallic note is coming from the overt bitterness the grapes have and the subsequent wine have when the grapes are picked too early.

If you’ve ever had a chance to taste underripe Grenache grapes, you’d know what I mean.

The skins give me ‘signals’ when the grapes are ready to pick - to me it’s not about sugar levels or pH levels.

I dig the variety and do 2-3 different 100% versions each year, as well as using it in blends. I do a lot of whole cluster inclusion and keep mine in older French oak for 24-36 months without racking.

Just another viewpoint, but it’d be a shame to ‘give up’ on this noble and complex variety.

Cheers.

I think I know which one you drank based on CT notes. That one is a variation of Grenache and has been a little more polarizing than other Grenaches. It is young too. So keep that in mind.

It just means you have good taste.

[stirthepothal.gif]

Hmmm…not sure, as I love good Priorat.

Had a Jemrose last night that was delicious. No note that you speak of.

+1 in nearly every way and what has happened in CdP is just sad. I’m sure some of it must be related to spiking temps…but still, is there any region where Parker-style has taken a worse toll on wines than the S. Rhone? I suppose some would argue Bordeaux & Napa…I ain’t convinced of either in comparison.

And Jason, try a bottle of Jemrose Grenache. If you haven’t yet I think you’d be pleasantly surprised, especially for a Grenache from CA.

[cheers.gif]

Great minds…

[cheers.gif]

Brian, was it the 2009??

I had the 2012 Birichino Grenache this evening. Nice bottle for $20. Sweet dusty strawberries, but if I squint I can see what you might mean by “metallic.”
Completely agree that the Jemrose grenache referenced above is a stunner and might change your thinking–not that I’m an expert on the variety in CA.
Looking forward to to the Carlisle I just ordered.

Just like any other variety, it all depends on the quality. Nicora, Herman Story and Site are a few favorites of mine. On the other hand you may not like Grenache.

Not many straight up Grenache do it for me, but most cases I like it in a GSM. For me, it can be too sweet and hot and spicy more often than not, so adding structure with Syrah and Mouvedre works nicely. I’m sure you’re one of many who think this way.

So much this.

If anyone can kill on some CA Grenache it’d be Mike Officer.

In fact, I’d also love to see what he could do with Italian varieties grown in CA like Barbera, Dolcetto or even gasp Sangiovese…

Also, Bedrock’s 2013 Grenache has been pretty splendid over a couple of bottles and imho it’s best days are yet to come. And yeah, I know it’s been kinda 50/50 with folks on here…but in no way is it a wine that tastes like the ott, sweet/candied examples we find nowadays from “classic” regions for Grenache, i.e. the Southern Rhone.

Novelty Hill 2012 Grenache is killer for $20

It probably has little to do with it but I’ll throw it out there. There were certain wines I used to run into with a tinny, medicinal finish. At the time I blamed the maker and never considered it could be the grape. Since cilantro tastes like soap to me and ruins any meal it’s on, I thought it could also be my taste buds being off for a day. Three years ago, I had my last metallic filling replaced with the new material they use. I haven’t had an issue with tinny, medicinal wine since, other than an off bottle confirmed by others. Still can’t stand cilantro though.