$300 for Oregon Pinot

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-02-03/should-you-pay-300-for-an-oregon-pinot-noir-

Good Luck with that.

Tarlov just can’t resist.

Shitty

And here I thought we could have a nice conversation about Eyrie pinots from the 80s…

3 hundy?? Dayum!

Chapter 24 might one day be renamed Chapter 12…

Yawn.

I like Oregon Pinot Noir. People screaming for attention? Not so much.

I was thinking the same thing - I’ll take some old “South Block” for that price -

We need another 2007 market correction. Unfortunately, there are several instances of $100+ wines. $300 isn’t out of range for Cali cabs (Cali does cab, Oregon does pinot), and certainly isn’t out of range for Burgundy. It could happen in a few years given the recent pace.

You can price shit at whatever level you want. Doesn’t mean people will pay for it. This is little more to me than an eyeroll and an “okay…”

One of the most expensive bottles of Pinot I’ve ever purchased was a 1996 South Block from the winery rerelease a few years ago and even then it was still nowhere near $300…

Saw this upon returning from an excellent BYOB place in Staunton, Va where I had brought the 2011 Longplay ‘Hi-Tone’ Pinot. Wonderfully delicious and pure Oregon pinot from a vintage I really like. All Wadenswil clone from the oldest portion of a single vineyard (or so I read.) Really, really delicious lifted sour cherry, dirt and spice.
This is one of the one-off, higher end bottles from Longplay. It was special. It was $40.

Strike up a pose, Pinot’s the vogue.

Crap, now Rimmerman can use the phrase “drinks like pinot noir costing 10x as much”

He uses that weekly already. Sigh.

This is ridiculous. For anyone who buys wine to drink and not to impress or resell, I don’t know how one justifies anything near this amount of money beyond what it takes to produce the wine. Use-value vs exchange-value…

“…but I’d rather put my money on Chapter 24’s two $60 pinots, Fire + Flood, and the $90 Last Chapter, all made by Liger-Belair.” (Also from the article.)

Anyone have feedback on these ? $90 still seems up there but the Liger-Belair note is intriguing unless it is more of a rockstar association angle.

Once you hit this line, the snooze button goes on:That’s why he’s charging an eye-popping $300 each for his two just-launched Chapter 24 Double Zero pinots. “The price is a poke,’’ he tells me. “It’s a signal to say Oregon matters.”

Such a terrible call and a hit to Oregon, not a poke.

I didn’t read the article, but I frequently spend $300 on Oregon pinot. You folks know viable alternatives for significantly less?

(I presume we’re talking about a case, right?)

Half of the proceeds are supposed to go to a charity. WS has reviews in the new issue 93-94 points IIRC.

My thinking too Andrew. Doubt our ex-Governor is springing for a bottle these days!

Even with half supposedly going to charity (define “charity”), that still makes it a $150 bottle.

Can we deduct half the price we pay as a charitable donation? [wow.gif]