What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Glenn L e v i n e
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#3101 Post by Glenn L e v i n e »

I got you dude. Get up here and we can trade bottles.

You can tell the fruit here must be exquisitely farmed to demonstrate a taste profile like this.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3102 Post by Rich Brown »

Glenn L e v i n e wrote: January 17th, 2021, 9:16 am I got you dude. Get up here and we can trade bottles.

You can tell the fruit here must be exquisitely farmed to demonstrate a taste profile like this.
Love it!! We're long overdue my man. After We've both been vaccinated we are making it happen!

Jeff Skinner

#3103 Post by Jeff Skinner »

Couldn't resist any longer, and popped a 2019 California Syrah last night.

Opened to a whiff of reduction, and poured into a decanter to get some air. Almost immediately blue and black fruit aromas began to show off with a little olive, and I felt a sinking feeling in my stomach as I realized that I didn't buy as much of this wine as I should have (this is bottle 1 of 6). Let the wine breathe for about an hour before my first glass and it was a beauty. Well balanced, with delicious blue and black fruit, backed up by the olive and herbs. It's a really nice Syrah that has a lot of N Rhone influence, but stays true to California. I think it's a great food wine, and should go well with many different dishes. We had it with curry chicken skewers and the pairing worked very well! Hopefully this will help me keep my paws off the other 2019s for a while.

seanr

#3104 Post by seanr »

Two recent bottles......

Glenn L e v i n e
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#3105 Post by Glenn L e v i n e »

Had a 15 OVZ over two nights and preferred night 2.

A little was left in the bottle and I had half a glass on night four. I would not recommend that plan, not undrinkable but out of balance with fruit diminished.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Roger Ouellette
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3106 Post by Roger Ouellette »

Found a '17 Ode to LuLu in the back of the cellar. Still singing with loads of strawberry, kiwi and a touch of orange zest. This paired well with spicy stir fry shrimp. Sad but also happy to polish off my last bottle of this vintage.
WsOTY (2020):

Dessert:
2003 Domaine Huet Vouvray Moelleux 1ère Trie Le Haut-Lieu
White:
2017 Kelley Fox Wines Pinot Blanc Barbie Freedom Hill Vineyard
Red:
1993 Dehlinger Syrah

joejolesch

#3107 Post by joejolesch »

Opened a 2018 OVZ last night - bright red fruit, nice spice, very closed finish. 1/2 bottle back in fridge. Had a glass tonight and it’s rockin’ - much more depth, darker fruit profile and noticeably rounder finish. Think I need to let these breathe longer if drinking now, but the trajectory suggests quite impressive with more bottle age.

Greg Gardner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3108 Post by Greg Gardner »

Yeah, I was underwhelmed by the ‘18 OVZ on release but it’s entering the zone now. Last few bottles have been fantastic.

Vince T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3109 Post by Vince T »

seanr wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 8:45 am Two recent bottles......

seanr

#3110 Post by seanr »

Vince T wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 10:02 pm
I have two of those same decanters... [rofl.gif]
My favorite and the price is right!

AD Northup
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#3111 Post by AD Northup »

2012 Bedrock Vineyard Carignan...in a super nice place right now. Fruit is still fresh and vibrant and the acid has come down just the right amount.
A n d r e w N o r t h u p

2021 WOTY Candidates:
1995 Charles Heidsieck Champagne Blanc des Millénaires

2020 WOTY:
2015 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Champagne Blanc de Noirs La Presle (first RdJ)

2019 WOTY:
2005 Faja dos Padres Malvasia

stewart lancaster

#3112 Post by stewart lancaster »

I was thinking of opening a pagani 2014 tonight ? thoughts?

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3113 Post by Brian Tuite »

stewart lancaster wrote: February 6th, 2021, 7:44 am I was thinking of opening a pagani 2014 tonight ? thoughts?

Today is a fruit day, go for it!
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

K Kl@dder

#3114 Post by K Kl@dder »

Had a 2018 Pagani last night, was really good but still room for growth.
K e i t h

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3115 Post by Rich Brown »

Really glad that I already had this open from last night..... because otherwise I might have had to crack one this morning while listening to the Vertical Tasting Notes on the Bedrock Podcast [cheers.gif]

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3116 Post by Mattstolz »

2015 Bedrock "Ode to Lucien"
The nose on this wine suggests that its pretty shut down at this stage right now. Even on decanting aromas are pretty muted. Let it hang out in a decanter about 30 minutes or so and then followed out of the decanter over the next 2 hours or so. Its still delicious on the palate... this was my first time with this wine so its a little bolder than I was expecting. The tannins have no rough edges and are pretty well integrated, but I think this needs some time to blossom to its true glory.

JulianD

#3117 Post by JulianD »

Jeff Skinner wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 7:43 am Couldn't resist any longer, and popped a 2019 California Syrah last night.

Opened to a whiff of reduction, and poured into a decanter to get some air. Almost immediately blue and black fruit aromas began to show off with a little olive, and I felt a sinking feeling in my stomach as I realized that I didn't buy as much of this wine as I should have (this is bottle 1 of 6). Let the wine breathe for about an hour before my first glass and it was a beauty. Well balanced, with delicious blue and black fruit, backed up by the olive and herbs. It's a really nice Syrah that has a lot of N Rhone influence, but stays true to California. I think it's a great food wine, and should go well with many different dishes. We had it with curry chicken skewers and the pairing worked very well! Hopefully this will help me keep my paws off the other 2019s for a while.
Is the 'California' syrah the same as the 'Calico'?
Davies

T Welch
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3118 Post by T Welch »

We really enjoyed a 2013 Carlisle Vineyard Zin tonight. Drinking very well now and should for a few years.
T*R*U*E*T*T

Matt.Zollman

#3119 Post by Matt.Zollman »

I'm impatient and opened a 2019 Dolinsek. Hadn't had anything from this vineyard. Certainly young, but very well balanced. My friend and I just kept looking at the glass saying "wow", which is always a good sign. Going to let the others sit for a few more years...hopefully.

Steve Gautier
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#3120 Post by Steve Gautier »

JulianD wrote: February 7th, 2021, 10:05 pm
Jeff Skinner wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 7:43 am Couldn't resist any longer, and popped a 2019 California Syrah last night.

No. In 2018, they made both. California is the new name for North Coast and is the entry level syrah. Calico was a special blend they did in 2018.
Good wine is a necessity of life. - Thomas Jefferson

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3121 Post by Brian S t o t t e r »

Opened my last 2015 Old Vine Zinfandel. So sad [cry.gif]

In a perfect spot right now with the tannins having softened yet the bright blackberry and black cherry fruit and bramble notes haven't faded. I'm convinced OVZ needs at least 5 years to shine.
CT and IG: rieslinghoarder

2021 WOTY Candidates:

2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Niedermenniger Herrenberg Riesling Spätlese feinherb “Meyer Nepal” #11
2006 Billecart-Salmon Champagne Cuvée Nicolas-François Billecart

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3122 Post by Tom G l a s g o w »

Matt.Zollman wrote: February 8th, 2021, 5:38 am I'm impatient and opened a 2019 Dolinsek. Hadn't had anything from this vineyard. Certainly young, but very well balanced. My friend and I just kept looking at the glass saying "wow", which is always a good sign. Going to let the others sit for a few more years...hopefully.
If it’s wow now why wait?

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3123 Post by Mattstolz »

JulianD wrote: February 7th, 2021, 10:05 pm

the California Syrah is about half the cost of the Calico if I remember correctly.

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3124 Post by Michael Martin »

2016 Old Vine Zin.
I never found the secret of keeping my hands off the OVZ and my bottles are usually gone within a year or so of receipt.
Today, I got lucky and found a ‘16 retail. OMG, time has really benefitted these. I was a pure delight of vibrant, earthy fruit.
The store I bought it at had a few more bottles. Guess where I am going tomorrow.

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3125 Post by Brian S t o t t e r »

The OVZ definitely benefits with a little bottle age. I just had my last 2015 and it was showing amazingly.

2021 WOTY Candidates:

2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Niedermenniger Herrenberg Riesling Spätlese feinherb “Meyer Nepal” #11

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3126 Post by Michael Martin »

Brian S t o t t e r wrote: February 15th, 2021, 4:16 pm The OVZ definitely benefits with a little bottle age. I just had my last 2015 and it was showing amazingly.
I need to figure out how to lose a few of these in the cellar only to be discovered at some later date - 5-7 years later.

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3127 Post by Brian S t o t t e r »

Michael Martin wrote: February 15th, 2021, 4:20 pm
Brian S t o t t e r wrote: February 15th, 2021, 4:16 pm The OVZ definitely benefits with a little bottle age. I just had my last 2015 and it was showing amazingly.
I need to figure out how to lose a few of these in the cellar only to be discovered at some later date - 5-7 years later.
Lots of willpower for sure. I have at least a couple bottles still of each of the 2016-2018 OVZs in storage. And due to a fortunate miscalculation, 16 bottles of the 2019 still 😆

2021 WOTY Candidates:

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3128 Post by Michael Martin »

Brian S t o t t e r wrote: February 15th, 2021, 4:22 pm
Lots of willpower for sure. I have at least a couple bottles still of each of the 2016-2018 OVZs in storage. And due to a fortunate miscalculation, 16 bottles of the 2019 still 😆
The ‘19 will be spectacular.

Tom DeBiase
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3129 Post by Tom DeBiase »

Michael Martin wrote: February 15th, 2021, 4:52 pm

The Old Vines is a favorite but the two bottles of the 19 version I’ve had are not my preferred style.

Tom

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3130 Post by Michael Martin »

Tom DeBiase wrote: February 15th, 2021, 5:23 pm

The Old Vines is a favorite but the two bottles of the 19 version I’ve had are not my preferred style.

Tom
We liked them. Deeper, more complex, but everyone finds something different in wine.

M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3131 Post by M. Dildine »

‘16 Carlisle Vineyard. Exceptional!
Cheers,

Mike

Glenn L e v i n e
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#3132 Post by Glenn L e v i n e »

16 Bedrock Heritage: it’s twue, it’s twue.

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3133 Post by Brian S t o t t e r »

Glenn L e v i n e wrote: February 15th, 2021, 6:22 pm 16 Bedrock Heritage: it’s twue, it’s twue.
Great movie

2021 WOTY Candidates:

Andrew W.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3134 Post by Andrew W. »

Had a 2014 Lulu tonight that was wonderful... Talk about losing things in your cellar! Also opened a 2014 Oakville this weekend (the first I've tried), wow what a wine.
A. 'Wy.man'

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3135 Post by Brian S t o t t e r »

2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Heritage Wine Dolinsek Ranch

Ripe, perfumed, and slightly dusty blackberry, boysenberry, and blueberry notes waft from the glass, leading into chalk, earth, and kitchen spices enveloping the senses. The palate is deep, concentrated in flavors, with high-toned blue fruits complemented by organic soil and spices. Great acidity and chalky tannins provide structure to this medium-full bodied wine, and there is a persistent finish of chalky minerality and black pepper.

In comparison to recent vintages of Dolinsek I’ve had in their youth, this is less polished and jammy (by Morgan standards) compared to the 2017 vintage, but more giving and less austere compared to the 2018. Great for drinking now, but should age effortlessly as well.

2021 WOTY Candidates:

Glenn L e v i n e
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#3136 Post by Glenn L e v i n e »

After my recent wow with 2016 BR Heritage I brought the 15 to have slowly, over the next several nights while I work in Co with no sit-down dining.

Night one, the 15 might be better.

Mich@el Ch@ng
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#3137 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng »

I grabbed another case of 18 ovz for cheaper than release from empirewine (21 w free shipping).

Every time I open bedrock I wonder why I don’t have more.

Steve Gautier
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#3138 Post by Steve Gautier »

AD Northup wrote: March 19th, 2020, 6:07 pm 2011 Pagani with a 45 minute decant...holy s*** what a wine. I think some of these early vintages could really go for another decade.
Opened this tonight. Been almost five years since I last had this. Morgan described this as dark and brooding in his release notes and that description holds today. Filled out and mature but I agree this has plenty of life left. Glad I have a couple more in the cellar.
Good wine is a necessity of life. - Thomas Jefferson

AD Northup
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#3139 Post by AD Northup »

IronGate wine in New York just posted a bunch of older Bedrocks at decent prices. I left everything but the 2010 Monte Rosso (recommend 2011 Pagani for anyone who hasn’t had it)
A n d r e w N o r t h u p

2021 WOTY Candidates:
1995 Charles Heidsieck Champagne Blanc des Millénaires

2020 WOTY:
2015 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Champagne Blanc de Noirs La Presle (first RdJ)

2019 WOTY:
2005 Faja dos Padres Malvasia

JackW e i s s b e r g
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3140 Post by JackW e i s s b e r g »

2010 Monte Rosso was awesome!! I still remember it. High toned and almost candied, in an interesting and good way. We had it at a BYO and the chef saw it and sat down at our table and started to drain the bottle as he charmed us. Not cool!!! I literally had to pull it away and swap it with another bottle we had open....

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#3141 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

Pounded a 1/2 bottle of 2019 Bedrock Heritage. Could have blown through a 750. Early and open.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3142 Post by Tom G l a s g o w »

D@vid Bu3ker wrote: February 19th, 2021, 4:47 pm Pounded a 1/2 bottle of 2019 Bedrock Heritage. Could have blown through a 750. Early and open.
was this a 375 or constraint?

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3143 Post by Brian Tuite »

Tom
IMHO the ‘19s need to hide in the back of the cellar for a long time. Way too angular for me right now although 4-6 days on the counter after opening does help a bit.

Tonight we try a ‘17 Pato

F0E223E7-AE42-4E39-B15D-EA5DB91F96E1.jpeg

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3144 Post by Rich Brown »

Brian Tuite wrote: February 19th, 2021, 5:49 pm

Tom
IMHO the ‘19s need to hide in the back of the cellar for a long time. Way too angular for me right now although 4-6 days on the counter after opening does help a bit.

Pumped to hear your take on Pato! I've heard great things (Michael Martin is a bit fan) but I haven't opened one yet.

Jake Dvoskin
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#3145 Post by Jake Dvoskin »

2019 Syrah, i know its to early ,but i had only one, and after a hour its was really great.

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#3146 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

Tom G l a s g o w wrote: February 19th, 2021, 5:46 pm
D@vid Bu3ker wrote: February 19th, 2021, 4:47 pm Pounded a 1/2 bottle of 2019 Bedrock Heritage. Could have blown through a 750. Early and open.
was this a 375 or constraint?
Both
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

JeremyMullman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3147 Post by JeremyMullman »

Enjoyed a 2019 OVZ and Cali Syrah in recent days. Both back up Morgan’s assertion about single-vineyard juice “trickling down” and giving these a little more structure and oomph compared to prior years.

These are always good but the 2019s are special.

ChrisWolff

#3148 Post by ChrisWolff »

In case you don’t have enough, 2019 OVZ is available at Wine Access for $25

https://www.wineaccess.com/catalog/2019 ... 521c41e5e/

Referral link
http://share.wineaccess.com/v/chris_47
Last edited by ChrisWolff on February 20th, 2021, 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3149 Post by Brian Tuite »

Rich Brown wrote: February 19th, 2021, 5:51 pm
Brian Tuite wrote: February 19th, 2021, 5:49 pm

Tom

Pumped to hear your take on Pato! I've heard great things (Michael Martin is a bit fan) but I haven't opened one yet.
  • 2017 Bedrock Wine Co. Heritage Wine Pato Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Contra Costa County (2/20/2021)
    Pop n pour and let sit for an hour to get some air. Dusty, earthy, with aroma of freshly crushed stone. Straight forward dark fruit, boysenberry, marionberry, black pepper spice. Mouth drying texture that I attribute to acid rather than tannin because it’s very up front. Then the young tannins kick in and cut the fruit off in an abrupt finish. Recork and check back in the next evening.
    Day 2, a musty kinda mildew-like funk on the nose. Fruit is still walled off and the palate is pretty shut down. Petite has taken over for the most part. The berry fruit from yesterday is hidden and it’s showing some heat and bitterness on the finish. I mean there’s some fruit there but this should be showing more complexity based on what’s in it and it’s still just straight forward. Not sure what to make of this wine. Perhaps it just needs more time. I won’t be in a hurry to open my other bottle.
Posted from CellarTracker

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3150 Post by Rich Brown »

Welp.....not exactly a 'glowing review' ;)

Return to “Wine Talk”