What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Message
Author
User avatar
amjohnstone
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 178
Joined: October 28th, 2013, 9:44 am
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#1951 Post by amjohnstone » November 30th, 2018, 10:29 am

2009 Bedrock Rebecca's Vineyard Pinot Noir. On day one, this was muscled up and ripe, a little bit hot, and tasted of black cherry and caramel. Not what I expected from the first Morgan Twain-Peterson pinot I've tried, especially after almost a decade. On day two, it had settled down a bit, seemed to lose much of the apparent heat, and revealed more RRV pinot character. This was interesting.
Andrew Johnstone

User avatar
Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2680
Joined: January 5th, 2015, 3:38 pm
Location: Phoenix

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#1952 Post by Rich Brown » November 30th, 2018, 12:11 pm

amjohnstone wrote:
November 30th, 2018, 10:29 am
2009 Bedrock Rebecca's Vineyard Pinot Noir. On day one, this was muscled up and ripe, a little bit hot, and tasted of black cherry and caramel. Not what I expected from the first Morgan Twain-Peterson pinot I've tried, especially after almost a decade. On day two, it had settled down a bit, seemed to lose much of the apparent heat, and revealed more RRV pinot character. This was interesting.
Nice note on what definitely sounds like an interesting wine my man! I'm not a huge pinot guy so I never scooped this one up, or that late release of Morgans first pinot he ever made (vino bambino I think). Would be fun to try those 2 together though.

User avatar
Sherri S h a p i r o
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 2212
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 2:22 pm
Location: South FL

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#1953 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » December 7th, 2018, 4:32 am

2012 bedrock carignan.jpg
LOVED this! Such a treat - perfectly in balance and absolutely delicious! Next time Morgan offers Carignan, I am loading up.

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1151
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 4:35 pm
Location: University Place Wa.

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#1954 Post by Mike Maguire » December 9th, 2018, 7:59 am

A couple 2016 north coast Syrahs, one slightly corked but the other was just fantastic and what a steal for $20.

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19381
Joined: February 19th, 2009, 4:05 pm
Location: Mwaukee, 'sconsin

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#1955 Post by AlexS » December 9th, 2018, 9:24 am

Awesome Sherri, really appreciate the 2012 Carignane update! I opened one near release and it was tough as nails, will need to grab one for sometime early 2019.
s t e w @ r t

User avatar
ATaylor
Posts: 1012
Joined: December 21st, 2012, 2:44 pm
Location: San Carlos, CA/Donato, Italy

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#1956 Post by ATaylor » December 9th, 2018, 10:02 am

Earlier in the week:

2014 Judge Saugvignon Blanc was an oxidized mess.....completely shot.

But the 13 Compagni Portis that replaced it is gorgeous....citrus, floral with a crisp acidity. Perfect with some crab cakes.
@ndrew

Scott E.
Posts: 556
Joined: March 28th, 2013, 11:10 am

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#1957 Post by Scott E. » December 10th, 2018, 8:56 am

Served up the 2011 Weill Syrah Exposition series last night at a family dinner. It was an interesting experience. The #1 (100% syrah, 100% whole cluster) had a slightly smokey note to it along with some spice. The #2 & #3 (8% & 16% viognier, respectively) were definitely more aromatic. In general, nothing to get too excited about. Looking forward to trying the 2012's and 2013's.
$.E$te$

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19381
Joined: February 19th, 2009, 4:05 pm
Location: Mwaukee, 'sconsin

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#1958 Post by AlexS » December 12th, 2018, 9:42 am

2012 Zinfandel Sodini Vineyard

Absolutely fantastic, one of the best Zins I've had year, full of all the RRV Zin-richness you'd expect but also far more nuanced than typical w/surprising finesse. The aromas just filled the room soon as the cork was removed, reminded me of the 2012 Kirschenmann in that regard. As they have been all year, these 2012s are really singing right now, even the Syrahs!
s t e w @ r t

User avatar
Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2680
Joined: January 5th, 2015, 3:38 pm
Location: Phoenix

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#1959 Post by Rich Brown » December 12th, 2018, 11:40 am

AlexS wrote:
December 12th, 2018, 9:42 am
2012 Zinfandel Sodini Vineyard

Absolutely fantastic, one of the best Zins I've had year, full of all the RRV Zin-richness you'd expect but also far more nuanced than typical w/surprising finesse. The aromas just filled the room soon as the cork was removed, reminded me of the 2012 Kirschenmann in that regard. As they have been all year, these 2012s are really singing right now, even the Syrahs!
Niiiiice man! Sadly drank my last one earlier this year. Hard to keep my hands off the 12's as they're drinking so well. Prime time for sure.

User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18670
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#1960 Post by Brian Tuite » December 18th, 2018, 6:10 pm

2016 Pato - Not one of my better pulls from the Bedrock lineup. This one is disjointed and awkward. Followee over a couple evenings and it improved on day 2 and the red fruit came to the forefront but it didn’t excite my palate like a lot of Morgan’s Zins do. Yeah it’s young but I have to get a feel for these Amador Zins if I’m going to keep buying. I’d sit on these for a while if you have them.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

User avatar
Bryan Price
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 348
Joined: April 9th, 2017, 2:10 pm
Location: Coto de Caza, CA

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#1961 Post by Bryan Price » December 21st, 2018, 8:22 pm

2012 Dolinsek Ranch. My first Bedrock and I'm loving it! Medium-full bodied with rich red & black fruit flavors. Drinking perfectly now and should have several more years to go! Got this bottle off WineBid to try. Will go back this to well since there's plenty of water.
Life's too short to drink bad wine.

Eric S n y d e r
Posts: 845
Joined: June 7th, 2016, 2:47 pm

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#1962 Post by Eric S n y d e r » December 21st, 2018, 9:57 pm

Brian Tuite wrote:
December 18th, 2018, 6:10 pm
2016 Pato - Not one of my better pulls from the Bedrock lineup. This one is disjointed and awkward. Followee over a couple evenings and it improved on day 2 and the red fruit came to the forefront but it didn’t excite my palate like a lot of Morgan’s Zins do. Yeah it’s young but I have to get a feel for these Amador Zins if I’m going to keep buying. I’d sit on these for a while if you have them.
Pato is Contra Costa, which is a hit and miss area for me. I always kick myself for not getting more Turley Duarte, sourced from a nearby vineyard...

User avatar
Drew Goin
Posts: 6448
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 4:45 pm

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#1963 Post by Drew Goin » December 22nd, 2018, 2:27 am

Eric S n y d e r wrote:
December 21st, 2018, 9:57 pm
Brian Tuite wrote:
December 18th, 2018, 6:10 pm
2016 Pato - Not one of my better pulls from the Bedrock lineup. This one is disjointed and awkward. Followee over a couple evenings and it improved on day 2 and the red fruit came to the forefront but it didn’t excite my palate like a lot of Morgan’s Zins do. Yeah it’s young but I have to get a feel for these Amador Zins if I’m going to keep buying. I’d sit on these for a while if you have them.
Pato is Contra Costa, which is a hit and miss area for me. I always kick myself for not getting more Turley Duarte, sourced from a nearby vineyard...


As Eric stated, the "Pato Vineyard" is located in Contra Costa's city of Oakley, where most of the county's famous old-vine sites are found. "Evangelho" is in neighboring Antioch, within spitting distance of the Carquinez Strait. deadhorse


As Morgan has stated in his release notes for the Bedrock Wine Company "Pato Vineyard" red wine, this vineyard is further inland from the tempering effects of the Bay, so it doesn't have the same lift from acidity as the "Evangelho Vineyard". Also, "Pato" is a blend of Zin, Mataro, and Petite Sirah - no Carignan or white grapes in the mix to freshen it up. I imagine that the "Pato Vineyard" red is more full-bodied and the fruit flavors might be closer to the "jammy" end of the spectrum.


The Turley "Duarte Vineyard" is composed of multiple fruit sources: "Evangelho", "Pato", and "Salvador/Gonsalves" Vineyards. The Turley CoCo bottlings are pretty darn popular, year in & out, according to CellarTracker TN's. I have yet to try one.

User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18670
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#1964 Post by Brian Tuite » December 22nd, 2018, 6:43 am

Drew Goin wrote:
December 22nd, 2018, 2:27 am
Eric S n y d e r wrote:
December 21st, 2018, 9:57 pm
Brian Tuite wrote:
December 18th, 2018, 6:10 pm
2016 Pato - Not one of my better pulls from the Bedrock lineup. This one is disjointed and awkward. Followee over a couple evenings and it improved on day 2 and the red fruit came to the forefront but it didn’t excite my palate like a lot of Morgan’s Zins do. Yeah it’s young but I have to get a feel for these Amador Zins if I’m going to keep buying. I’d sit on these for a while if you have them.
Pato is Contra Costa, which is a hit and miss area for me. I always kick myself for not getting more Turley Duarte, sourced from a nearby vineyard...


As Eric stated, the "Pato Vineyard" is located in Contra Costa's city of Oakley, where most of the county's famous old-vine sites are found. "Evangelho" is in neighboring Antioch, within spitting distance of the Carquinez Strait. deadhorse


As Morgan has stated in his release notes for the Bedrock Wine Company "Pato Vineyard" red wine, this vineyard is further inland from the tempering effects of the Bay, so it doesn't have the same lift from acidity as the "Evangelho Vineyard". Also, "Pato" is a blend of Zin, Mataro, and Petite Sirah - no Carignan or white grapes in the mix to freshen it up. I imagine that the "Pato Vineyard" red is more full-bodied and the fruit flavors might be closer to the "jammy" end of the spectrum.


The Turley "Duarte Vineyard" is composed of multiple fruit sources: "Evangelho", "Pato", and "Salvador/Gonsalves" Vineyards. The Turley CoCo bottlings are pretty darn popular, year in & out, according to CellarTracker TN's. I have yet to try one.
I stand corrected. Bottle was already in recycle when I wrote the note.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

matt d
Posts: 107
Joined: August 18th, 2015, 7:03 am
Location: Cleveland

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#1965 Post by matt d » December 22nd, 2018, 8:42 am

14 Evangelho gave it a 2 hour decant and was just lovely still young but with some time is very nice.
M@tthew D@h@r

User avatar
Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2680
Joined: January 5th, 2015, 3:38 pm
Location: Phoenix

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#1966 Post by Rich Brown » December 28th, 2018, 10:24 am

2013 Carlisle Vineyard and Papera Ranch

Not gonna lie. I've been a little worried that the single vineyard 2013 Bedrock's would never come around, as every one that I've tried has been hugely structured with minimal fruit shining through. Whelp, I'm happy to report that both of these wines were awesome and totally redeemed my thoughts on the vintage (que step brothers line here).

I probably preferred the Carlisle Vineyard slightly more as it was a bit more savory with a hint of mint to go with the brambly purple fruits. The Papera was more red fruited and a little lighter on its feet, but both of them were very juicy with ample acidity, and that awesome dusty Bedrock perfume that I absolutley love (old vines??). Great stuff and makes me excited about the rest of my 13's down the road.

[media] [/media]

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19381
Joined: February 19th, 2009, 4:05 pm
Location: Mwaukee, 'sconsin

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#1967 Post by AlexS » December 28th, 2018, 12:07 pm

Nice stuff man, appreciate the update on both 2013s!

(although wrong thread lol)
s t e w @ r t

User avatar
Edward H. Earles
Posts: 730
Joined: January 22nd, 2013, 8:07 am

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#1968 Post by Edward H. Earles » January 5th, 2019, 4:58 pm

Image

Great lineup here. The magnum of Bedrock on the left, is an extremely limited bottling that isn't sold, it is only given (by MTP) as a gift, or donated to charity. 100% Syrah.

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19381
Joined: February 19th, 2009, 4:05 pm
Location: Mwaukee, 'sconsin

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#1969 Post by AlexS » January 5th, 2019, 5:57 pm

Is that the Bedrock Ancient Vines Syrah Bedrock Vineyard? If so, Bedrock offered the 2009 & 2013 vintages to the mailing list.

And if that's the 2013, how did it show?? Would love to know!
s t e w @ r t

User avatar
Edward H. Earles
Posts: 730
Joined: January 22nd, 2013, 8:07 am

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#1970 Post by Edward H. Earles » January 5th, 2019, 6:28 pm

It was the "Ancient Vines", 2013. It was given to a member of our wine group on a vineyard visit. It showed well....feminine, perfumed, floral.

User avatar
D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 30991
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 8:06 am

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#1971 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » January 5th, 2019, 7:06 pm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=157237

2014 Hudson T n S Syrah
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19381
Joined: February 19th, 2009, 4:05 pm
Location: Mwaukee, 'sconsin

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#1972 Post by AlexS » January 5th, 2019, 7:42 pm

Edward H. Earles wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 6:28 pm
It was the "Ancient Vines", 2013. It was given to a member of our wine group on a vineyard visit. It showed well....feminine, perfumed, floral.
Well sheesh, that's an epic gift! Here's Morgan's notes on the 2013 Ancient Vines from Bedrock's release email:

The ancient-vine Syrah comes from vines scattered throughout Bedrock Vineyard’s old vines. Syrah has a tendency to not set particularly well on these vines so it is only every few years that there is enough to be able to make a barrel or two—happily 2013 was one of those years! Along with the scattered Syrah at Gibson Ranch (which is a field blend of Syrah, Grenache, Trousseau Noir, Petite Sirah, Peloursin and others), this is the oldest vine bottling of Syrah I know of in the U.S. Offered in magnum only as we hope people will give this wine some time in their cellar for a few years—it is dark delicious stuff.

Your description of it really makes me wanna crack open a mag -- sounds just like everything I love from Syrah!!
s t e w @ r t

User avatar
Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2680
Joined: January 5th, 2015, 3:38 pm
Location: Phoenix

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#1973 Post by Rich Brown » January 5th, 2019, 7:48 pm

AlexS wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 7:42 pm
Edward H. Earles wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 6:28 pm
It was the "Ancient Vines", 2013. It was given to a member of our wine group on a vineyard visit. It showed well....feminine, perfumed, floral.
Well sheesh, that's an epic gift! Here's Morgan's notes on the 2013 Ancient Vines from Bedrock's release email:

The ancient-vine Syrah comes from vines scattered throughout Bedrock Vineyard’s old vines. Syrah has a tendency to not set particularly well on these vines so it is only every few years that there is enough to be able to make a barrel or two—happily 2013 was one of those years! Along with the scattered Syrah at Gibson Ranch (which is a field blend of Syrah, Grenache, Trousseau Noir, Petite Sirah, Peloursin and others), this is the oldest vine bottling of Syrah I know of in the U.S. Offered in magnum only as we hope people will give this wine some time in their cellar for a few years—it is dark delicious stuff.

Your description of it really makes me wanna crack open a mag -- sounds just like everything I love from Syrah!!
Agreed - that sounds awesome!! Temping as it is, I'm going to hang onto my 09 and13's for the long-haul. Feel like it will be worth it.

User avatar
Edward H. Earles
Posts: 730
Joined: January 22nd, 2013, 8:07 am

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#1974 Post by Edward H. Earles » January 6th, 2019, 7:05 am

This was the only time I've had that bottling, but if it is representative, I'd say it's well into its drinking window.

User avatar
Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1382
Joined: November 6th, 2010, 6:29 am
Location: Malvern, PA

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#1975 Post by Steve Gautier » January 6th, 2019, 7:37 am

Edward H. Earles wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 7:05 am
This was the only time I've had that bottling, but if it is representative, I'd say it's well into its drinking window.
Meaning drink sooner than later or do you think it has a long life ahead of it?
Good wine is a necessity of life. - Thomas Jefferson

Tom DeBiase
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 485
Joined: May 2nd, 2010, 11:08 am

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#1976 Post by Tom DeBiase » January 6th, 2019, 8:22 am

2013 Ode to Lucian. Bedrock's version of Bandol inspired wine. A blend of 63% Mourvèdre, 27% Grenache and 10% Syrah all from ancient vines. Great showing last night, a mix of dark cherry, raspberry and earthy blackberry, dried herbs and tar. Good acidity, a bit of ripe tannin, it was all good with a variety of homemade pizza.
IMG_20190105_185138.jpg

User avatar
Sherri S h a p i r o
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 2212
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 2:22 pm
Location: South FL

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#1977 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » January 6th, 2019, 8:25 am

Tom DeBiase wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 8:22 am
2013 Ode to Lucian. Bedrock's version of Bandol inspired wine. A blend of 63% Mourvèdre, 27% Grenache and 10% Syrah all from ancient vines. Great showing last night, a mix of dark cherry, raspberry and earthy blackberry, dried herbs and tar. Good acidity, a bit of ripe tannin, it was all good with a variety of homemade pizza.

IMG_20190105_185138.jpg
Great note! I opened one of these last summer and it was awesome.

User avatar
larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 7437
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:26 am
Location: Santa Ynez Valley, CA

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#1978 Post by larry schaffer » January 6th, 2019, 8:30 am

Seeing that it's Morgan's birthday today, I think there'll be a whole bunch of them opened in his honor!

Cheers.
larry schaffer
tercero wines

User avatar
Edward H. Earles
Posts: 730
Joined: January 22nd, 2013, 8:07 am

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#1979 Post by Edward H. Earles » January 6th, 2019, 9:39 am

Steve Gautier wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 7:37 am
Edward H. Earles wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 7:05 am
This was the only time I've had that bottling, but if it is representative, I'd say it's well into its drinking window.
Meaning drink sooner than later or do you think it has a long life ahead of it?
It was not showing tertiary characteristics yet, but it seemed to me that it didn't have enough tannin left for long aging. If I owned a bottle I'd drink it within the next 2-3 years.....but that's just me. Your palate may differ. I prefer Northern Rhones and am accustomed to burlier Syrahs.

User avatar
Greg D
Posts: 173
Joined: September 18th, 2014, 12:53 pm
Location: CA - Bay Area

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#1980 Post by Greg D » January 6th, 2019, 9:54 am

2014 Heirloom - Pagani. Was excellent. Can go longer easily but tasting really good now.
G r e g _ D o u g a l d

User avatar
Drew Goin
Posts: 6448
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 4:45 pm

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#1981 Post by Drew Goin » January 6th, 2019, 10:24 am

Tom DeBiase wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 8:22 am
2013 Ode to Lucian. Bedrock's version of Bandol inspired wine. A blend of 63% Mourvèdre, 27% Grenache and 10% Syrah all from ancient vines. Great showing last night, a mix of dark cherry, raspberry and earthy blackberry, dried herbs and tar. Good acidity, a bit of ripe tannin, it was all good with a variety of homemade pizza.

Thanks for the tasting note, Tom!!

It has been a while since I have popped one of these. I absolutely loved the Bedrock '13 "Ode to Lucien" red blend. Then again, I am a fanatic of Mourvèdre blends!

User avatar
Drew Goin
Posts: 6448
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 4:45 pm

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#1982 Post by Drew Goin » January 6th, 2019, 10:25 am

Happy Birthday to MTP!!

User avatar
Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1382
Joined: November 6th, 2010, 6:29 am
Location: Malvern, PA

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#1983 Post by Steve Gautier » January 6th, 2019, 10:39 am

Edward H. Earles wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 9:39 am
Steve Gautier wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 7:37 am
Edward H. Earles wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 7:05 am
This was the only time I've had that bottling, but if it is representative, I'd say it's well into its drinking window.
Meaning drink sooner than later or do you think it has a long life ahead of it?
It was not showing tertiary characteristics yet, but it seemed to me that it didn't have enough tannin left for long aging. If I owned a bottle I'd drink it within the next 2-3 years.....but that's just me. Your palate may differ. I prefer Northern Rhones and am accustomed to burlier Syrahs.
Thanks
Good wine is a necessity of life. - Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
Drew Goin
Posts: 6448
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 4:45 pm

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#1984 Post by Drew Goin » January 7th, 2019, 8:57 am

I found an article about Californian "Nouveau" wines by Esther Mobley*, and one inclusion struck me as odd...

"Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Esola Vineyard Amador County 2016: Bedrock plans to blend this carbonic Zinfandel with some carbonic Cinsault from the Bechtoldt Vineyard in Lodi to produce the 2016 nouveau. (At press time, they still hadn’t been blended into a finished wine.) The Esola Zin, for its part, is persistently floral, underscored by a banana-candy aroma. Tropical fruit — think green mango — comes in on the palate, with substantial (for a nouveau) tannin."


The Bedrock "Esola Vineyard" Zinfandel isn't a product of carbonic maceration...is it?


*source: https://www.sfchronicle.com/wine/articl ... 607352.php

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19381
Joined: February 19th, 2009, 4:05 pm
Location: Mwaukee, 'sconsin

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#1985 Post by AlexS » January 7th, 2019, 1:52 pm

Last night, 2013 Dolinsek Heritage -- wow, talk about savory & meaty! Quite the rich & hearty example of Dolinsek, had a slightly roasted quality to the fruit as well. Although enjoyable, I think it could use a few more years to sort itself out.
s t e w @ r t

User avatar
Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2680
Joined: January 5th, 2015, 3:38 pm
Location: Phoenix

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#1986 Post by Rich Brown » January 7th, 2019, 2:59 pm

AlexS wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 1:52 pm
Last night, 2013 Dolinsek Heritage -- wow, talk about savory & meaty! Quite the rich & hearty example of Dolinsek, had a slightly roasted quality to the fruit as well. Although enjoyable, I think it could use a few more years to sort itself out.
13's buddy. Feel like they're finally starting to come around....but I think you're spot on that they could still use some more time. Especially if the Dolinsek still seemed young!

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19381
Joined: February 19th, 2009, 4:05 pm
Location: Mwaukee, 'sconsin

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#1987 Post by AlexS » January 7th, 2019, 4:59 pm

Yeah man, just starting to crack into the 13s and I think you’re right — will keep posting notes!
s t e w @ r t

User avatar
Albert R
Posts: 512
Joined: June 18th, 2014, 3:12 pm
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#1988 Post by Albert R » January 7th, 2019, 5:24 pm

I thought about having a 13 Dolinsek this past weekend and I held off. Sounds like it's ready for my palate..... Thanks for the note.
Cheers,

@. Re-go

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6101
Joined: August 28th, 2010, 3:35 pm

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#1989 Post by Michael Martin » January 7th, 2019, 5:28 pm

‘14 T n S block Hudson. Nice on day 1, really nice on day 2. Clove, anise, dark fruits.

User avatar
Rory K.
Posts: 308
Joined: January 9th, 2017, 7:19 pm
Location: Los Angeles, California

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#1990 Post by Rory K. » January 7th, 2019, 9:52 pm

Rich Brown wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 2:59 pm
AlexS wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 1:52 pm
Last night, 2013 Dolinsek Heritage -- wow, talk about savory & meaty! Quite the rich & hearty example of Dolinsek, had a slightly roasted quality to the fruit as well. Although enjoyable, I think it could use a few more years to sort itself out.
13's buddy. Feel like they're finally starting to come around....but I think you're spot on that they could still use some more time. Especially if the Dolinsek still seemed young!
I had a '13 Pagani mid-2018 and for me it was in just a perfect place and stunning. Around the same time the '13 Bedrock Heritage was pretty clam'd up
K i n n e a r

ITB

User avatar
Sherri S h a p i r o
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 2212
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 2:22 pm
Location: South FL

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#1991 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » January 8th, 2019, 4:57 am

AlexS wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 4:59 pm
Yeah man, just starting to crack into the 13s and I think you’re right — will keep posting notes!
+1 Have drank most of my 2012 Bedrock zins and zin blends, and started dabbling in 13's late last year. Other than the old vine zin (which was delicious), these have not seemed nearly as approachable (to my taste) as the 12's. Will keep an eye on this thread and CT and be judicious in what I open over the next few months.

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19381
Joined: February 19th, 2009, 4:05 pm
Location: Mwaukee, 'sconsin

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#1992 Post by AlexS » January 8th, 2019, 7:55 am

Sherri S h a p i r o wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 4:57 am
AlexS wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 4:59 pm
Yeah man, just starting to crack into the 13s and I think you’re right — will keep posting notes!
+1 Have drank most of my 2012 Bedrock zins and zin blends, and started dabbling in 13's late last year. Other than the old vine zin (which was delicious), these have not seemed nearly as approachable (to my taste) as the 12's. Will keep an eye on this thread and CT and be judicious in what I open over the next few months.
2012s have been so open and delicious it's hard to keep away from them! And completely agreed on the 2013 OV Zin, which was oddly the most open of all OV Zins to date on release yet made from a vintage where most every other wine has been on the closed side...just gotta love this hobby!!

Speaking of the 2013 OV Zin, I have a few left...definitely time to open one.
s t e w @ r t

User avatar
Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2680
Joined: January 5th, 2015, 3:38 pm
Location: Phoenix

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#1993 Post by Rich Brown » January 8th, 2019, 8:42 am

AlexS wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 7:55 am
Sherri S h a p i r o wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 4:57 am
AlexS wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 4:59 pm
Yeah man, just starting to crack into the 13s and I think you’re right — will keep posting notes!
+1 Have drank most of my 2012 Bedrock zins and zin blends, and started dabbling in 13's late last year. Other than the old vine zin (which was delicious), these have not seemed nearly as approachable (to my taste) as the 12's. Will keep an eye on this thread and CT and be judicious in what I open over the next few months.
2012s have been so open and delicious it's hard to keep away from them! And completely agreed on the 2013 OV Zin, which was oddly the most open of all OV Zins to date on release yet made from a vintage where most every other wine has been on the closed side...just gotta love this hobby!!

Speaking of the 2013 OV Zin, I have a few left...definitely time to open one.
Per usual, I totally agree with you both. 2012's are just drinking so damn well, it's hard to see how they could possibly get any better (but I wouldnt bet against it). 13 was probably one of my favorite OVZ's that Morgan has made.....as evident by the fact I only have 1 left!

If you two want to check in on a 13, I was surprised how well the Carlisle and Papera were drinking. Will they improve? Absolutley. But these were the first single vineyard wines that i got some of the amazing fruit that we look for and the beautiful dusty Bedrock perfume that we love to go along with the structure of the vintage. Slight nod to the Carlisle.

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19381
Joined: February 19th, 2009, 4:05 pm
Location: Mwaukee, 'sconsin

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#1994 Post by AlexS » January 8th, 2019, 10:13 am

Rich Brown wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 8:42 am
AlexS wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 7:55 am
Sherri S h a p i r o wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 4:57 am


+1 Have drank most of my 2012 Bedrock zins and zin blends, and started dabbling in 13's late last year. Other than the old vine zin (which was delicious), these have not seemed nearly as approachable (to my taste) as the 12's. Will keep an eye on this thread and CT and be judicious in what I open over the next few months.
2012s have been so open and delicious it's hard to keep away from them! And completely agreed on the 2013 OV Zin, which was oddly the most open of all OV Zins to date on release yet made from a vintage where most every other wine has been on the closed side...just gotta love this hobby!!

Speaking of the 2013 OV Zin, I have a few left...definitely time to open one.
Per usual, I totally agree with you both. 2012's are just drinking so damn well, it's hard to see how they could possibly get any better (but I wouldnt bet against it). 13 was probably one of my favorite OVZ's that Morgan has made.....as evident by the fact I only have 1 left!

If you two want to check in on a 13, I was surprised how well the Carlisle and Papera were drinking. Will they improve? Absolutley. But these were the first single vineyard wines that i got some of the amazing fruit that we look for and the beautiful dusty Bedrock perfume that we love to go along with the structure of the vintage. Slight nod to the Carlisle.
Yeah, that 2013 OV Zin was just something else on release...honestly, probably one of the best Zins I've ever had. Appreciate the input on 2013 Papera & Carlisle, will take a look in the ol' cellar for one (or the other).
s t e w @ r t

Brian Tockman
Posts: 2
Joined: November 15th, 2013, 1:46 pm

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#1995 Post by Brian Tockman » January 8th, 2019, 10:59 am

2011 The Bedrock Heritage - opened last weekend.

This was a wow bottle, caught it in such a great window. Depth and complexity, aroma kept getting better through the night. Deep scarlet coloring, very nice balance between fruit and other earthy notes. Half the bottle with red sauce Italian, and half the bottle sipped alongside good dark chocolate. Both worked, with the edge going to the savory dish. A standout among '11 zin-based wines I've opened. Think this was my last '11 zin-based in the cellar and what a way to finish. Very engaging, "intellectual". Only thing similar I can think of is some of the early Rossi Ranch bottlings from Carlisle that had the distinctive garrique/savory notes. The Bedrock was more subtle than that, and I really liked how that enhanced the red fruit elements of the wine. Excellent!

User avatar
Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2680
Joined: January 5th, 2015, 3:38 pm
Location: Phoenix

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#1996 Post by Rich Brown » January 8th, 2019, 11:28 am

Brian Tockman wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 10:59 am
2011 The Bedrock Heritage - opened last weekend.

This was a wow bottle, caught it in such a great window. Depth and complexity, aroma kept getting better through the night. Deep scarlet coloring, very nice balance between fruit and other earthy notes. Half the bottle with red sauce Italian, and half the bottle sipped alongside good dark chocolate. Both worked, with the edge going to the savory dish. A standout among '11 zin-based wines I've opened. Think this was my last '11 zin-based in the cellar and what a way to finish. Very engaging, "intellectual". Only thing similar I can think of is some of the early Rossi Ranch bottlings from Carlisle that had the distinctive garrique/savory notes. The Bedrock was more subtle than that, and I really liked how that enhanced the red fruit elements of the wine. Excellent!
Awesome note Brian - really appreciate the update! Bedrock Heritage is the last bottle I have left from the 11 vintage. Truth be told, I just didn't dig many of them and wasnt hopeful they'd get any better (although Chris thinks they definitely will). Planning on hanging onto my last 2 for a while to see what happens, and your note definitely gives me hope.

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19381
Joined: February 19th, 2009, 4:05 pm
Location: Mwaukee, 'sconsin

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#1997 Post by AlexS » January 8th, 2019, 11:58 am

Brian Tockman wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 10:59 am
2011 The Bedrock Heritage - opened last weekend.

This was a wow bottle, caught it in such a great window. Depth and complexity, aroma kept getting better through the night. Deep scarlet coloring, very nice balance between fruit and other earthy notes. Half the bottle with red sauce Italian, and half the bottle sipped alongside good dark chocolate. Both worked, with the edge going to the savory dish. A standout among '11 zin-based wines I've opened. Think this was my last '11 zin-based in the cellar and what a way to finish. Very engaging, "intellectual". Only thing similar I can think of is some of the early Rossi Ranch bottlings from Carlisle that had the distinctive garrique/savory notes. The Bedrock was more subtle than that, and I really liked how that enhanced the red fruit elements of the wine. Excellent!
Brain, that's an awesome TN! I was actually eyeing up the 2011 Bedrock Bedrock Heritage the other night before ultimately deciding on the 2013 Dolinsek...only reason I went for the latter is only 1 bottle left of the former and it was too hard for me to do haha. Of course, now I really want to open it!
s t e w @ r t

User avatar
Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 642
Joined: April 21st, 2015, 6:05 am
Location: Brookline, MA
Contact:

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#1998 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » January 13th, 2019, 8:46 am

Has anyone opened a 2013 Griffin’s Lair syrah recently? Any serving tips?
CT: InZinity

2019 WOTY (so far):
1987 Dunn Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Howell Mountain
1990 Chateau Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du-Pape
1993 Edmunds St. John Zinfandel Amador County

User avatar
Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1382
Joined: November 6th, 2010, 6:29 am
Location: Malvern, PA

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#1999 Post by Steve Gautier » January 13th, 2019, 9:50 am

I haven’t had one since last January but a good friend of mine had one a few months ago and said it needed a good hour decant.
Good wine is a necessity of life. - Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18670
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#2000 Post by Brian Tuite » January 13th, 2019, 10:28 pm

2011 Hudson T’n’S Syrah - Nice earthy menthol note on the nose, don’t want to use the b-word but this is bordering animale but in a good way. Explosive black fruit, mouthwatering acidity, juicy, abundant sweet fruit on the mid-palate, chewy tannins. This one is loaded. After extended air the fruit takes in a slightly stewed note or simply just riper.
11C40FF9-B950-4364-AFCE-1FBE12E1A1C4.jpeg
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”