What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Drew Goin

#1751 Post by Drew Goin » July 8th, 2018, 6:37 pm

NoahR wrote:So for those on this thread, what are your thoughts on approximate drinking windows for the heritage wines?
I think I have maybe 1-3 of each of them from 2012-2013 through most recent releases.

I loved all of the recent releases when i tasted with Chris a few years ago, but the only one I remember thinking was fully blossomed and ready to drink was Dolinsek, with this beautiful, smooth blueberry thing going on.
★ Put on Your Tin-Foil Hats, Ladies & Gentlemen!! ★

Often I read about the early-drinking pleasures offered by certain Bedrock single-vineyard Zin/mixed black red wines.

To my thinking, these are vineyards with a large proportion of young vines. Whether that is a coincidence or an actual factor in the general accessibility of the following sites, I leave for wiser, more experienced people to decide...

Dolinsek: "The oldest vines, planted in 1910, are roughly 70% Zin, and the rest is made up of Alicante Bouschet, Tempranillo, Petite Sirah, Teroldego, and a few mysterious others.

"The vineyard yields tiny quantities of intense fruit. It is this unique combination of fast-draining soils, cool climate, and interplanted varietals that allow the wines from Dolinsek Ranch to be utterly distinctive."

Growers' Profiles: Jim Dolinsek: "...Dolinsek pulled out 450 apple trees and, studying viticulture with Rich Thomas at Santa Rosa Junior College, planted three acres of four zinfandel clones (as well as nine rows of syrah 'because the nursery ran out of the zinfandel clone we wanted')...they kept the 4.5 acres of wizened, stumplike, dry-farmed, head-trained red vines, which, planted in 1910, produce only half a ton per acre."

2015 Dolinsek Ranch Heritage Wine: "In most years, Dolinsek Ranch Heritage Wine is one of the most immediately gratifying wines we make. In 2015 this is especially true...this is a wine that can, and perhaps should, be drunk young. Yes, you just heard me say that about a Bedrock wine. Sourced from Jim and Kathleen Dolinsek’s 1910 plantings, this scant yielding field blend of Zinfandel, Alicante Bouschet, Petite Sirah, Syrah, Palomino, Black Muscat, and Burger is one of the last old vineyards on the east side of the Laguna del Santa Rosa."

2009 Dolinsek Heirloom Wine: "...The dry-farmed vines...yield up tiny amounts of concentrated fruit. How tiny? In 2009 we are talking .4 ton per acre!...If I had my way, this wine would be completely consumed in the next four years for its gorgeous primary fruit before the alcohol starts to show too much."

2014 Dolinsek Ranch Heritage Wine: "...Though this will certainly age nicely, it could be enjoyed on the earlier side with a good decant."

2016 Dolinsek Heritage Red: "...this wine, as in most years, is ready to impress in its youth. This is one to break into while you wait for 'Bedrock Heritage' and 'Monte Rosso' to come around."

The Dolinsek Vineyard is composed of 4.5 acres of +100-year-old vines plus 3 acres of young vines.

However, as pointed out twice in the Bedrock "Fall 2016 Release" email (7/26/16), MTP & Co deal with the old fruit.

The unusual Bedrock 2009 "Russian River Valley" Zinfandel is the exception that seems to prove the rule: "In 2009, I started to receive the beautiful old vines at Dolinsek Ranch in Russian River Valley. As part of the deal, I also agreed to take a couple tons of Jim Dolinsek’s younger vine Zin that grew on the adjoining hill."

Sodini: "Planted in 1905, Sodini Vineyard is located along Limerick Lane in the far eastern reaches of Russian River Valley.

"The flat section of the vineyard features sandy-clay loam soils very typical of the Russian River Valley plain while the hillside features red clay loam soils more similar to those found at Teldeschi Ranch on the Dry Creek Bench. In addition to this the soils are chalk flecked, a reminder that Chalk Hill is also in close proximity.

"Owned by Steve Sodini and his wife, we are thrilled to lease and farm the vineyard—which has allowed us to start renewing the soil and site for future generations...."

2012 Sodini Vineyard Zinfandel: "...In early 2012 I received an email from a guy named Steve Sodini...He was at wits-end, tired of taking a loss on the vineyard, and was thinking that the only option might be to pull out the vines are replant to something higher yielding."

2015 Sodini Zinfandel: "Our first wine from this lovely vineyard since 2012—and boy has the vineyard changed...As is the case with too many old vineyards, there were lots of missing vines and soils had been depleted after years of production. In certain blocks almost 55% of the vines were missing, which meant the 16-acre vineyard was putting out less than 1 ton per acre...Missing vines have been replanted to a massale selection of cleaned up Zinfandel clones from 'Bedrock Vineyard' and are starting to bear fruit...Starting in 2015 we were able to select some of the best barrels for a vineyard designate (the remainder is a core of the 'Old Vine" blend)...This is satisfying stuff that will age nicely but can also be enjoyed on the sooner side with a generous decant."

The Sodini Vineyard is certainly an old vineyard, yet its high proportion of replantings makes me wonder how much of the century-old vine fruit goes into the vineyard-designated Bedrock wine. The website only states that "In most years we select the best barrels for a vineyard designate while the remaining portion is a main portion of our 'Old Vine' Zinfandel bottling."

Weill a Way:
2012 Weill A Way Mixed Blacks: "...Weill Vineyard is the vineyard formerly known as Shanel, from which David Ramey crafted some lovely Syrah’s. The vineyard was developed by Daniel Roberts, also known as Dr. Dirt, who aided in the planting of many vineyards including a couple used by the Turley-Wetlaufer duo on the coast. As such it carries all the hallmarks of a modern vineyard- tightly spaced, modern rootstocks, cane-pruned, etc. Though the vineyard is still mainly planted to Syrah (and is the backbone of the North Coast Syrah), we converted a small section of the vineyard to a recreated field blend of Zinfandel, Petite Sirah, Alicante Bouschet, Grenache, Tempranillo, and Mourvedre."

2013 Weill a Way Mixed Blacks: "...This is one of the more straightforward wines in the release, but it will offer a lot of near-term enjoyment for those looking for a nice mouthful of layered dark fruit."

2014 Weill a Way Mixed Blacks: "In 2014 we took over the farming at Weill Vineyard which allowed us to dig a bit more deeply into the viticulture of the site...This will be delicious with a good decant earlier in its life."

2015 Weill a Way Mixed Blacks: "...This is forward and tasty stuff that will reward earlier drinking with a good decant."

2016 Weill a Way Mixed Blacks: "...Unlike our wines from older vineyards this wine is best enjoyed for its dark core and youthful bravado."

The portion of the Weill Vineyard planted to Zinfandel, Petite Sirah, Alicante Bouschet, Grenache, Tempranillo, and Mourvedre by Bedrock Wine Company is not a candidate for membership with the Historic Vineyard Society. Even as the Shanel Vineyard, the site was not a centennial planting.

I have surveyed the annals of the Bedrock Wine Company website to see if my ↑original↑ theory was correct:

Are the more accessible of the winery's vineyard-designate Zinfandel/Field Blends composed of a larger proportions of younger vine fruit?

Well, the Dolinsek, Sodini, and the recently added Pato Vineyard in the Bedrock line-up are old-vine sites. I am not sure what quantity of grapes from replacement vines, if any, are included in vineyard-designated bottlings, and what amount is relegated to the "Old Vine" Zinfandel.

I suppose that individual vineyard sites' climate/variety mix/soil type/etc, combined with vinification processes in the winery determine what bottlings are early-drinking and which ones need to be tucked further back into the cellar.
Last edited by Drew Goin on July 11th, 2018, 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeMy
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1752 Post by MikeMy » July 11th, 2018, 11:26 am

Philip N. Jones wrote:Does anyone know when the next Bedrock email will come out? Just curious.
Thanks,
Phil Jones
Email blast sez................. July 31st.

Between this and Carlise's July 18th release the old credit card will take a beatin'. [wow.gif]
My=Myers

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1753 Post by Michael Martin » July 11th, 2018, 12:06 pm

MikeMy wrote:
Philip N. Jones wrote:Does anyone know when the next Bedrock email will come out? Just curious.
Thanks,
Phil Jones
Email blast sez................. July 31st.

Between this and Carlise's July 18th release the old credit card will take a beatin'. [wow.gif]
And it looks like its the big'n with OVZ and Bedrock Heritage in it. Load up.

AD Northup

#1754 Post by AD Northup » July 11th, 2018, 1:30 pm

The Sky Vineyard Zin is sounding like a Star
Andrew Northup
CT: adnorthup

Andrew Demaree
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1755 Post by Andrew Demaree » July 11th, 2018, 5:15 pm

What’s the scoop on the Sky Vineyard? Location, etc.?

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1756 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » July 11th, 2018, 5:29 pm

Bedrock and Evangelho are must buys for me.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Drew Goin

#1757 Post by Drew Goin » July 11th, 2018, 5:51 pm

AD Northup wrote:The Sky Vineyard Zin is sounding like a Star
+1
cropped-sky-header.jpg
Sky Vineyards Panorama - from Sky Vineyards website
cropped-sky-header.jpg (9.41 KiB) Viewed 1913 times
I have been incredibly psyched about the prospect of a Bedrock Wine Company My Veeder "Sky Vineyard" Zinfandel since initially seeing a Facebook post about it, followed by viewing a post confirming its existence!*

Sky Vineyards is a rustic, +2-person operation (most of the year), that somehow keeps on pushing while the rest of the Valley floats on the illusory "Napa lifestyle".
920x920.jpg
"Lore Olds and his daughter Mayacamus, owner of Sky Vineyards at the top of 2200 feet Mount Veeder. Photo of Lore (left) and Mayacamus (right), sitting and playing guitar on his front porch to the home he built in 1972 and where Mayacamus grew up. on 8/24/07 in Napa" - photo by Craig Lee
920x920.jpg (22.63 KiB) Viewed 1913 times
Since the fires hit the Mt Veeder area pretty hard last year, according to the winery website, "We have experienced significant losses in the Wine County wildfires and are still assessing damages. We are all safe and so grateful for that. Our house at Sky burned down, the fire burned through the vineyard and the rest of the property, but fortunately and tremendously, our winery still stands."

Sky Vineyards' Zinfandels have a reputation as long-lived, low-tech, lower-alcohol wines:

"The zinfandel often shows mountain sage garrigue, pomegranate or cherry fruit, and a peppery quality. The wine is lower alcohol than many California zinfandels, and consequently more elegant and nuanced than expected.

"Due to the structure, acidity, and relatively low alcohol content, Sky Zins age remarkably well. Most vintages will last for 10-30 years. Many of our wines from the eighties and nineties continue to present in a youthful and alive manner...."

SF Gate
"Napa Off the Map: Beyond the corporate players and cult hits is a side of the valley few people know"
Jon Bonné
September 6, 2007

* In the past, I have peeped a Bedrock bottling that did not see its way to a consumer release ("York Creek" vineyard-designate).

David B

#1758 Post by David B » July 11th, 2018, 6:28 pm

I saw on instagram they bottled some Bien Nacido X-Block Syrah. I didn't see it in the email that went out, but I would be super excited to get some of that.
B|um

Drew Goin

#1759 Post by Drew Goin » July 11th, 2018, 7:29 pm

I saw that ("Bien Nacido X-Block") too, David! Also, there was a pic of "Shake Ranch" Barbera...

The Facebook post I mentioned about the "Sky Vineyard" included MTP saying that they were sampling the estate's Syrah grapes. Whether a Zin or a Syrah comes to fruition, it'll be great juice! :)
FB_IMG_1531361423944.jpg
Sky Vineyard on Mt Veeder - photo from MTP @ Bedrock Wine Co
FB_IMG_1531361423944.jpg (37.46 KiB) Viewed 1871 times

Andrew Demaree
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1760 Post by Andrew Demaree » July 11th, 2018, 7:51 pm

Interesting. Thanks, Drew. Although, I do wonder what the future is for this bottling, given the note that “the fire burned through the vineyard.”

Andrew Demaree
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1761 Post by Andrew Demaree » July 11th, 2018, 7:52 pm

On a side note, I’d be super curious to try a barbera from Shake Ridge.

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1762 Post by Michael Martin » July 11th, 2018, 8:28 pm

David B wrote:I saw on instagram they bottled some Bien Nacido X-Block Syrah. I didn't see it in the email that went out, but I would be super excited to get some of that.
I posted in an old thread on here about your dream combination of winemaker and vineyard. Mine was Morgan and Bien Nacido. I would love to get my hands on some. I think I read it will be a mags only release.

Eric S n y d e r

#1763 Post by Eric S n y d e r » July 11th, 2018, 8:36 pm

Michael Martin wrote:
David B wrote:I saw on instagram they bottled some Bien Nacido X-Block Syrah. I didn't see it in the email that went out, but I would be super excited to get some of that.
I posted in an old thread on here about your dream combination of winemaker and vineyard. Mine was Morgan and Bien Nacido. I would love to get my hands on some. I think I read it will be a mags only release.
I share the stoke for that one. Won’t miss it if allocated.

Drew Goin

#1764 Post by Drew Goin » July 11th, 2018, 9:13 pm

Andrew Demaree wrote:On a side note, I’d be super curious to try a barbera from Shake Ridge.
The issue is that Mr Twain-Peterson has posted many vineyard shots across California and beyond on social media.

One never can be sure what indicates that Bedrock has a wine in the pipeline from the featured sites, like "Walker Vine Hill", a Syrah vineyard, or Annadel Gap's vineyards, until it is made blatantly apparent. :|

Drew Goin

#1765 Post by Drew Goin » July 11th, 2018, 9:43 pm

Heeyy...one barrel a year. Where are the wines going??? How about a multi-vintage offering for more than "the Bedrock 150"???

[youtube]6iuxDiJpQXw[/youtube]

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1766 Post by Rich Brown » July 11th, 2018, 10:31 pm

Andrew Demaree wrote:What’s the scoop on the Sky Vineyard? Location, etc.?
Thanks to fellow Berserker Andrew Johnstone, Brian Tuite and I had the privilege to spend the day at Bedrock and hang out/taste with Chris Cotrell. He busted out some killer wines, with one of them being a barrel sample of the Sky Vineyard zin. In addition to having a really touching story behind it (I'm sure it will be in the release letter), it was an incredible wine. One of my 2 top wines of the day next to some steep competition (other one being the 'Bedrock 150' 2011 Puccini - Brian started a thread on it a few weeks back). Pretty small production it sounded like but do not pass up the Sky Vineyard zin if you're offered any.

AD Northup

#1767 Post by AD Northup » July 12th, 2018, 1:23 am

Asked Morgan after seeing that and he said maybe the winter release
Andrew Northup

NickRut
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1768 Post by NickRut » July 12th, 2018, 3:36 pm

Isn’t dolinsek normally released this time? Didn’t see it in the note.
Rutkowski

Drew Goin

#1769 Post by Drew Goin » July 15th, 2018, 1:17 pm

From the Save-the-Date Email:

"Bedrock Wine Co.’s Fall Release will hit inboxes on July 31st for Mailing List Members and August 7th for Waiting List Members. The release will feature a cross section of wines, from the newest iteration of

• 'Old Vine' Zin,
• 'Bedrock Heritage' and
• 'Evangelho Heritage' wines, to
• 'Wirz' Riesling and
• 'Judge' Sauvignon Blanc,
• 'Hudson' Syrah and the few precious bottles of our first release of
• 'Sky Vineyard' Zinfandel.

"All in all, one of my favorite releases of the year and crammed with yumminess...."

I have been trying to locate information on the impact of the 2017 fires on any North Coast wines. Yes, fires were present further south in California last year, but I am not sure what regions would have been impacted...

AD Northup

#1770 Post by AD Northup » July 19th, 2018, 6:32 am

Time to shift focus here now that Carlisle is over...really looking forward to the Sky Vineyard Zin, especially knowing that the vineyard was unfortunately hit hard by the fires, hoping there is enough to go around!
Andrew Northup

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1771 Post by Michael Martin » July 19th, 2018, 7:16 am

Morgan is known for a surprise or two. I would expect something else of interest in the release.

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1772 Post by Rich Brown » July 20th, 2018, 7:52 am

Heard rumors about this when we got to tase with Chris last month but per Morgan's tweet, it looks like its official. Bedrock is getting Old Hill Ranch fruit!

Sure I'm not alone when I say I'm SUPER pumped about that! Cant wait to see what they're going to do with grapes from that magical vineyard.

Andrew Demaree
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1773 Post by Andrew Demaree » July 20th, 2018, 9:05 am

I wonder if their offerings are continuing to expand, with the upcoming Sky Vineyard release and now word about the Old Hill Ranch fruit, or if some other things are going to be cut. Seems like they might run out of tank space at some point.

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1774 Post by Michael Martin » July 20th, 2018, 9:35 am

Andrew Demaree wrote:I wonder if their offerings are continuing to expand, with the upcoming Sky Vineyard release and now word about the Old Hill Ranch fruit, or if some other things are going to be cut. Seems like they might run out of tank space at some point.
I think its based on who he can get fruit from. Monte Rosso, Lauterbach, Rebecca's, Kick Ranch, Old Lakerville, Rowe, Stellwagen and probably others are all gone.

Drew Goin

#1775 Post by Drew Goin » July 21st, 2018, 12:33 am

Michael Martin wrote:
Andrew Demaree wrote:I wonder if their offerings are continuing to expand, with the upcoming Sky Vineyard release and now word about the Old Hill Ranch fruit, or if some other things are going to be cut. Seems like they might run out of tank space at some point.
I think its based on who he can get fruit from. Monte Rosso, Lauterbach, Rebecca's, Kick Ranch, Old Lakerville, Rowe, Stellwagen and probably others are all gone.

What happened to "Rebecca's Vineyard"? I thought it was owned by MTP & Co.

The prospect of a Bedrock Wine Company "Old Hill Ranch" bottling is too much for me to handle!! :o :)

J Carroll

#1776 Post by J Carroll » July 21st, 2018, 9:10 pm

A little surprised there’s no talk about the recent passing of Frank Evangelho. I didn’t know the man but felt like I did from Morgan’s release notes and drinking the wine made from his grapes over the years. It’s sad for sure but he sure knew what he was doing leaving the vineyard in the hands of Morgan and Chris! Cheers to a life well lived Frank!
In Frank’s honor my wife and I are drinking a 2013 Bedrock Evangelho Heritage tonight. What a beautiful wine which really peaked after 6 hours opened, glad I have a few left.
John Carroll

Drew Goin

#1777 Post by Drew Goin » July 22nd, 2018, 11:58 am

J Carroll wrote:A little surprised there’s no talk about the recent passing of Frank Evangelho. I didn’t know the man but felt like I did from Morgan’s release notes and drinking the wine made from his grapes over the years. It’s sad for sure but he sure knew what he was doing leaving the vineyard in the hands of Morgan and Chris! Cheers to a life well lived Frank!
In Frank’s honor my wife and I are drinking a 2013 Bedrock Evangelho Heritage tonight. What a beautiful wine which really peaked after 6 hours opened, glad I have a few left.

I had no idea that Mr Evangelho had passed away. That's very sad! :(

Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1778 Post by Steve Gautier » July 24th, 2018, 6:33 pm

Morgan just posted an Instagram story showing what looked like all 2012. Could this mean a retrospective is coming? I hope so.
Good wine is a necessity of life. - Thomas Jefferson

Chris H.

#1779 Post by Chris H. » July 24th, 2018, 6:55 pm

Steve Gautier wrote:Morgan just posted an Instagram story showing what looked like all 2012. Could this mean a retrospective is coming? I hope so.
I always love to read their retrospective tasting notes, but wouldn't it be great if they offered a selection from the 2012 in their next offering? I'd be game, as Bedrock seems to have a lot of structure to age well, but I don't have the patience or holdings (only have been building a cellar for a few years) to keep Bedrock very long.
H a r r i s

Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1780 Post by Steve Gautier » July 24th, 2018, 6:59 pm

I still have 19 different 2012 Bedrocks in my cellar.

Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1781 Post by Steve Gautier » July 24th, 2018, 7:02 pm

I had a 2012 Bedrock Heritage Bedrock over the weekend and it was fantastic.

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1782 Post by Michael Martin » July 25th, 2018, 4:18 am

Steve Gautier wrote:I still have 19 different 2012 Bedrocks in my cellar.
I’ll play too..16 different ones.

S. Stevenson

#1783 Post by S. Stevenson » July 26th, 2018, 2:00 pm

2015 Bedrock Wine Company "Old Vine" California Zinfandel. Found some in a small grocery store by my home that has a small, but eclectic wine selection. Got it for $17.99 (10% off if you buy 6). He has 2 cases left and I wonder if I should buy more?
Stan

P. D e r d e y n

#1784 Post by P. D e r d e y n » July 26th, 2018, 2:34 pm

At that price? Yes!!!!
Patrick

Peter Shurman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1785 Post by Peter Shurman » July 29th, 2018, 6:02 am

last night
2014 Lorenzo's Heritage

[cheers.gif]
keeping those ITB in business

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#1786 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » July 29th, 2018, 6:57 am

S. Stevenson wrote:2015 Bedrock Wine Company "Old Vine" California Zinfandel. Found some in a small grocery store by my home that has a small, but eclectic wine selection. Got it for $17.99 (10% off if you buy 6). He has 2 cases left and I wonder if I should buy more?
Yes!

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1787 Post by Brian Tuite » July 29th, 2018, 7:19 am

Last night I put a 2008 Lauterbach Hill Syrah into a blind Syrah flight. Garrigue, tar, soy, plummy fruit. Toasty, blackberry and blueberry with some oak tannin. Tasty.

Then, after dessert, I double blinded the group on a 2001 Vino Bambino Carneros Pinot Noir. Dried flowers, strawberry, blood orange. Candied strawberry on a mid-weight slightly glycol textured palate dusty late tannin. Got guesses of Rayas Grenache, Anderson Valley Pinot, SLH Pinot, all over the map. There has been some variation on the bottles of this wine that I have opened from overly acidic to fruity. This one was awesome. Was a fun blind tasting experiment that was really showing well last night.
A1467C28-3953-4C4F-9830-A3BBB22BAD7F.jpeg
A1467C28-3953-4C4F-9830-A3BBB22BAD7F.jpeg (21.82 KiB) Viewed 564 times
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2018 WOTY...
2014 Carter Cellars Wietz

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1788 Post by AlexS » July 29th, 2018, 10:39 am

Awesome stuff, Brian -- and the 2001?? I thought he only ever offered the 2000! Wow.
s t e w @ r t

David B

#1789 Post by David B » July 29th, 2018, 11:33 am

Had a 2015 Ode to Lucien last night that was in a really good spot.
B|um

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1790 Post by Brian Tuite » July 29th, 2018, 12:05 pm

AlexS wrote:Awesome stuff, Brian -- and the 2001?? I thought he only ever offered the 2000! Wow.
Good catch! My previous bottles were 2000. I picked this in up off WineBid and it never dawned on me that it was a different vantage. That explains the variation.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2018 WOTY...
2014 Carter Cellars Wietz

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1791 Post by brigcampbell » July 29th, 2018, 12:13 pm

I have evidence ;) And I'm the one that guessed Grenache and Rayas.
Attachments
20180728_211446_HDR~2.jpg
20180728_211446_HDR~2.jpg (14.42 KiB) Viewed 498 times

S. Stevenson

#1792 Post by S. Stevenson » July 29th, 2018, 3:44 pm

Sherri S h a p i r o wrote:
S. Stevenson wrote:2015 Bedrock Wine Company "Old Vine" California Zinfandel. Found some in a small grocery store by my home that has a small, but eclectic wine selection. Got it for $17.99 (10% off if you buy 6). He has 2 cases left and I wonder if I should buy more?
Yes!
I've decided to buy only 1/2 case. Is it appropriate to put the name/address of the store down here so others could buy? I am not a shill for the store.
Stan

ky1em!ttskus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1793 Post by ky1em!ttskus » July 29th, 2018, 4:01 pm

S. Stevenson wrote:
Sherri S h a p i r o wrote:
Yes!
I've decided to buy only 1/2 case. Is it appropriate to put the name/address of the store down here so others could buy? I am not a shill for the store.
I’d buy between 6 and 12 at that price, personally. And name the store for sure. Share the wealth! ;)

ky1em!ttskus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1794 Post by ky1em!ttskus » July 29th, 2018, 4:15 pm

Popped a ‘14 Papera Heritage in preparation for the upcoming release.

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1795 Post by Paul Miller » July 29th, 2018, 4:31 pm

2016 Chuy Chardonnay
Lots of mouthfeel. Some creaminess. Lemon curd.

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1796 Post by Michael Martin » July 29th, 2018, 5:25 pm

2016 Esola. Leans almost more Grenache/Cinsault than Zin. First time I had it I thought Gigondas, still do.

Drew Goin

#1797 Post by Drew Goin » July 29th, 2018, 7:19 pm

David B wrote:Had a 2015 Ode to Lucien last night that was in a really good spot.
I missed out on the Bedrock 2015 "Ode to Lucien" Mourvèdre/Grenache blend, but I still have at least one bottle of the 2013 inaugural vintage. The '13 was phenomenal both times I tasted it, and it appears to be one that can cellar for years to come.

The 2013 bottling of the "Ode to Lucien" was made up of "Evangelho Vineyard" Mourvèdre (er, Mataro), "Gibson Ranch" Grenache, and a bit of interplanted Syrah from the "Gibson" Grenache plot.

The 2015 version, on the other hand, excludes any Syrah from the blend - which would probably be more to my liking.

I would love to know more about what you thought of the wine, David! :)

Drew Goin

#1798 Post by Drew Goin » July 29th, 2018, 7:23 pm

ky1em!ttskus wrote:Popped a ‘14 Papera Heritage in preparation for the upcoming release.
I have one Bedrock 2014 "Papera Ranch" that I have not tried yet.

Can you please share your impressions on the wine, Kyle? Do you think it's good to go, or should an owner of one bottle hang onto it for a while longer?

ky1em!ttskus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1799 Post by ky1em!ttskus » July 29th, 2018, 7:31 pm

Wait. It’s good, super enjoyable, but still primary. I had two and it was my oldest Bedrock so I grabbed it.

Drew Goin

#1800 Post by Drew Goin » July 29th, 2018, 10:56 pm

ky1em!ttskus wrote:Wait. It’s good, super enjoyable, but still primary. I had two and it was my oldest Bedrock so I grabbed it.
Thanks for the heads-up, Kyle!

Return to “Wine Talk”