What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight?

#2301 Post by Steve Gautier » November 5th, 2019, 3:23 pm

AlexS wrote:
November 5th, 2019, 2:54 pm
Had a 2012 Papera, have to say it wasn't very friendly...super "grapey" tasting. Have 1 more bottle, will age for at least a few more years.
I had a bottle in early 2018 which I loved. I did not enjoy the bottle I had earlier this year.
Good wine is a necessity of life. - Thomas Jefferson

Andrew Demaree
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2302 Post by Andrew Demaree » November 5th, 2019, 5:06 pm

Enjoying a 2016 Sonoma Valley Sauvignon Blanc tonight with Parmesan crusted cod. Tasty.

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2303 Post by AlexS » November 5th, 2019, 5:07 pm

Steve Gautier wrote:
November 5th, 2019, 3:23 pm
AlexS wrote:
November 5th, 2019, 2:54 pm
Had a 2012 Papera, have to say it wasn't very friendly...super "grapey" tasting. Have 1 more bottle, will age for at least a few more years.
I had a bottle in early 2018 which I loved. I did not enjoy the bottle I had earlier this year.
Steve, I'm with you on that - just seems like it's going through a weird phase right now.
s t e w @ r t

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2304 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » November 6th, 2019, 5:10 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
August 10th, 2019, 7:11 pm
2016 Bedrock Evangelho Vineyard

Pure class in a glass. Such an elegant Zin. Medium-bodied and dipping into the red range of fruits, with lift, polish and grace. An almost floral nose, like pepper-fruit, if that makes any sense.
Popped the 2017 tonight. Really, is there a more elegant, silky Zin made anywhere? Gorgeous wine.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Rory K.

#2305 Post by Rory K. » November 6th, 2019, 7:13 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 5:10 pm
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
August 10th, 2019, 7:11 pm
2016 Bedrock Evangelho Vineyard

Pure class in a glass. Such an elegant Zin. Medium-bodied and dipping into the red range of fruits, with lift, polish and grace. An almost floral nose, like pepper-fruit, if that makes any sense.
Popped the 2017 tonight. Really, is there a more elegant, silky Zin made anywhere? Gorgeous wine.
Glad to hear that, the 15 and 16 I've had over the past year were beautiful as well.
K i n n e a r

ITB

Rory K.

#2306 Post by Rory K. » November 6th, 2019, 7:17 pm

Lot of action on this thread! I just grabbed four from offsite to try and clear some room for the two deliveries I'm waiting on from Bedrock.

2017 Dolnsek
An awkward start, but after 20 minutes in the glass this was all strawberry and rhubarb, with a touch of plum jam, and something medicinal. Snappy acid and pretty fine tannin. Young but enjoyable. Needs some air right now.
K i n n e a r

ITB

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2307 Post by AlexS » November 8th, 2019, 5:36 pm

2016 'Gambrels of the Sky' Grenache, California

Normally I don't take a flyer on opening the younger vintages but considering they held this one back, it's actually had a bit more age compared to other recent releases...and dayum, this is pretty awesome - totally perfumey & finesse-driven, just filled with raspberry & kirsch aromas. So refined on the palate, distinct impression of chalky minerals and unlike many a modern Grenache-based wine, there's absolutely nothing about the Gambrels that's heavy-handed, over-ripe and/or ponderous. Give this 30 minutes of air if opening now and take delight at how it evolves over the course of an evening.

So good...might have to open up another one for Thanksgiving dinner - would be perfect!
s t e w @ r t

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2308 Post by Rich Brown » November 8th, 2019, 5:46 pm

AlexS wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 5:36 pm
2016 'Gambrels of the Sky' Grenache, California

Normally I don't take a flyer on opening the younger vintages but considering they held this one back, it's actually had a bit more age compared to other recent releases...and dayum, this is pretty awesome - totally perfumey & finesse-driven, just filled with raspberry & kirsch aromas. So refined on the palate, distinct impression of chalky minerals and unlike many a modern Grenache-based wine, there's absolutely nothing about the Gambrels that's heavy-handed, over-ripe and/or ponderous. Give this 30 minutes of air if opening now and take delight at how it evolves over the course of an evening.

So good...might have to open up another one for Thanksgiving dinner - would be perfect!
Welp, yet another Alex Stewart tasting note that makes me want to run to my offsite. Good stuff buddy!

Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2309 Post by Steve Gautier » November 10th, 2019, 9:34 am

Opened a bunch of Bedrock yesterday for a party but a wonderful 2014 Farmhouse was the first Farmhouse I ever opened
Good wine is a necessity of life. - Thomas Jefferson

Rory K.

#2310 Post by Rory K. » November 13th, 2019, 12:22 pm

2014 Hudson Vineyard South Syrah T'n'S Block
I've been opening up more Bedrock to make room for some deliveries, and now I'm kicking myself for not adding Hudson to the latest order.

Delightful right out of the gate. Shifting profile of violets, olive tapenade, saucisson, and blackberry. Similar, if not slightly better than the other one I had 6 months go, and still way preferable to the 2013 I had this year.
K i n n e a r

ITB

MBerto

#2311 Post by MBerto » November 13th, 2019, 12:53 pm

*whispers*

Syrah is probably Morgan's best grape
M@TT Bert0 lat us
insta @m@tthewbertol@tus (a's not @'s)

Adam Frisch
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#2312 Post by Adam Frisch » November 13th, 2019, 1:56 pm

Just ordered from my allocation. I avoided the pricier Bien Nacido and Carneros Syrah's. I fully understand why he has to charge $48 for them from those vineyards. But for me personally, the correlation between terroir and quality is at best nebulous and closer to real estate value protection.
Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Owner, proprietor and winemaker (with a little help) at Sabelli-Frisch Wines. I make wine from low-impact vineyards, focus on rare, forgotten, under-appreciated or historic grape varietals. Mission grape is my main red focus. IG: sabellifrisch

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2313 Post by Rick Allen » November 14th, 2019, 7:43 pm

Opened a 2017 OVZ. Nicely lithe and smooth. While it comes from all over, it tastes like Sonoma (Russian Riverish) to me - certainly not Napa, Lodi, or Contra Costa. Still a few tannins that need to resolve themselves but very good, particularly for the price.

Return to “Wine Talk”