What's on the "No Fly" List

Some of the recent threads on specific wines got me to thinking about wines where the Board consensus (although not unanimous, as nothing here will ever be) is that there are some wines that are just not considered acceptable. I’m not talking about $5 bottles here, as we only get threads about those when they massively overperform. But rather, I want to know what wines are trying to be good but specifically are on the “No Fly” list. Over-oaked banana juice, superspoofed Cab, and Pinot that is indistinguishable from Syrah leap to mind as recent examples of Board Unfavorites. So what’s the list? Here’s a start pulled from recent threads:

Caymus 40th
Belle Glos Dairyman

What else?

Bertagna

Recent or when Clair Forestier was the winemaker?

Velvet Glove

Frank Family.

For some reason, people here in Chico think that popping a bottle of Frank Family chard is a glimpse of the pinnacle of wine’s fine-ness.

I have actually started paraphrasing Paul Giamatti’s rant about merlot when I am going someplace that I know to be prone to pouring Frank Family.

Any of the numerous Cambie wines, or those he consults for.

The two wines you listed are made by the Wagner family, so you may as well add Meiomi and everything else made by the clan.

The secret ingredient used to be love. Now, it’s “sugar.”

Will KJ sue them?

Wow, this surprises me, and certainly is not a forum-wide ‘no fly zone’, as I have enjoyed several Frank Family wines, though they are obviously not subtle in character.

I haven’t had KJ in years, but I’d take my chances with KJ before I’d have a glass of Meiomi or Caymus.

A few years ago I went to a wine bar nearish my house and they had a pretty uninspiring list, but they did have a “somm’s choice” with a description that sounded like they poured some interesting stuff. I went for the somm’s red and after deciding that it was confected garbage, the waitress proudly told me that it was made by the family that made Caymus.

Haven’t been back to the bar since.

The Prisoner - lots of non wine geek friends love this wine - I find it hurts my fillings.

Liquids, aerosols, and gels in 3 oz. containers or greater.

Rombauer Chardonnay, aka ‘The Panty Dropper’ - definitely on the list

Tough crew around here.

aka “Cougar Juice”

Remember when everyone hated Mollydooker?

Silver Oak

I guess you are on this thread to make sure nobody brings up EMH Cab? Lol.

Hated? As in past tense?

Oh and Payday.

and Three Musketeers.