Bouchon Santa Barbara wine reccos please

Here is the list: http://www.bouchonsantabarbara.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/bouchon_wine_list.pdf

We would like an elegant rather than a big Pinot. Any reccomendations?

Thanks.

I haven’t drank these in a while, but I think anything from ABC (Au Bon Climat), Alta Maria (Richard Sanford’s new label) or Melville (which I find to be very well made wines), should do you right. Though kind of their own thing–not especially light on their feet–I always found Foxen of interest, and I see they have Sandhi (IPOB) as well, but I’ve never had. (I don’t spend time in those parts any more, and not so excited about any of them that I seek them out.)

I think you meant Alma Rosa-- which is Richard Sanford’s label.

Well . . . .

Not sure what corkage is there, but you could literally walk over to the ABC tasting room and pick up a bottle to bring with you to dinner - and they may have some library ones at the tasting room itself. Just a thought . . .

Cheers!

Hi Brady,

When I go to Bouchon, I typically bring my own. I believe corkage is $20. As to an elegant PN on their list, my go to is the Paul Lato “Matinee”, which is only distributed to restaurants. It’s listed as a '11, but I think they’re actually pouring a 2012 currently, which is beautiful and elegant.

I hope this helps.

+1 on Paul Lato

Your probably are already there but the 12 ABC for $45 is a very good wine (nice mix of earth, fruit and mineral) and the 13 Tyler is also very good for $65. On the higher end the 11 Sandhi Sanford & Benedict is awesome. All of the above are more elegant than in your face and a a good representation of what is happening in SBC lately. That list is actually pretty good and priced decent - have fun.

Agreed on the Tyler and Melville. We were there over the summer and corkage was reasonable and better yet waived for our 2 bottles with us only buying one.

That is soooo the play! Amazing library of wines for sale…at good prices.

’10 Tatomer Riesling, Vandenberg Vineyard, Santa Barbara 48.

I haven’t had Tatomer yet, but Tom Hill sure seems to like the style:

TN: Some New Whites…(long/boring)

Chardonnay: ’10 Rusack, Santa Catalina Island Vineyards, California 140.
Pinot Noir: ’10 Rusack, Santa Catalina Island Vineyards 168.

Is this really Island-grown fruit?

Yes, Nathan, the Rusack family are associated with the Wrigley family, who still owns quite a bot of Catalina Island. They planted vines there within the past decade and are now releasing some of those wines, including a zin if IIRC . . .

Cheers.

Nathan,

Here is an article on the Catalina wine. Supposedly it costs them $500/bottle to make it.

Thanks all for your help. We ordered the 2012 Paul Lato Matinee. I had it with duck which I heartily recommend. I’m a bit of a burg nut, and the Lato was decidedly not burg, which actually made me happy. On the warm cherry end of the red-fruited spectrum, with a fascinating dustiness. Medium bodied, well balanced, even elegant. There is a family resemblance to other Pinots I’ve had from the area such as Melville, Hitching Post, and Hilliard Bruce, demonstrating Pinot’s strength at demonstrating terroir. Very good wine and very different from my usual. Thanks again.

A) What they are attempting is beyond awesome.

B) I haven’t checked the regulations recently, but in the old days, the IRS only allowed you to operate at a loss for three consecutive years - after that you were required to reorganize as a non-profit. [Maybe the mainland operation is sufficiently profitable so as to be able to subsidize the island operation to the IRS’s satisfaction?]

It sounds like they may never be profitable [on the island], but as labors of love go, my hat’s off to them.

Oh, and if I were a wealthy man, then those would be my three choices right there:

Chardonnay: ’10 Rusack, Santa Catalina Island Vineyards, California 140.
Pinot Noir: ’10 Rusack, Santa Catalina Island Vineyards 168.
’10 Tatomer Riesling, Vandenberg Vineyard, Santa Barbara 48.

Maybe have the Tatomer with dessert [order a cheesecake or an apple pie or something].