Do you like daily emails from Wine Retailers? When is it too much?

So…

Like most of you, I get emails pretty regularly from retailers and wineries. Some are ok, most others I delete without ever opening.

But it occurred to me, What is too much? Many of these wines I have absolutely no interest in purchasing. ever. Of course, how would any retailer ever know that. I get it.

I get the emails from total wine, I would love to unsubscribe but to be honest, I figure that is the price I have to pay to get the occasional good coupon. I used to get emails from a few other retailers I purchased from, but I thought “You know… I’m not interested in Belle Glos Chard, or some other crappy stuff they’re trying to push today.” So I’ve unsubscribed. I do get some of the flash site emails… some I’ve unsubscribed, some not. Not going to name names because I’m not trying to start a thread to comment in what might be perceived as a negative way. Certainly not my intention here.

There are some retailers that I would love to get just one email a week from, not one a day (or more)… give me the cliff notes, the bullet points. That’s all I want. But that’s me.

So my question today that is up for discussion as mentioned above… What is too much? If you have a retailer or even winery that you love, What is your perfect idea of communication? I’ve considered that weekly would probably work for me, even monthly… but there is a good chance I could miss out on some gems. Maybe I’m ok with that? I don’t know… maybe I am until I miss that one great deal and then I’m kicking myself.

Thoughts? I’d love to get feedback from the masses, as well as some thoughts from those ITBrs.

CHEERS!

I maybe only hear regularly from three retailers, and occasionally from some others. Even so, I would be content with one e-mail per week from each outlining their weekly specials.

Everyday is rather PITA, but what if they are offering something you might just be interested in? Then you’ll feel as if you have missed out. More likely though, the only thing you’ll miss by not seeing the offer is a multilined credit card bill the next month!

I feel trapped by retail. I only buy from lists.

I mark them as spam and check the website when I feel like shopping.

I give most of them a 10 second look and then delete. Now and then they will offer something that is appealing and I buy it. That happens maybe once a month. I buy most of my wine from mailing lists, Total Wine, Costco and 3 wine clubs (Chateau Montelena futures, Schramsberg and Hendry).

Everyday drives me nuts. A couple times a week is plenty.

If it’s a retailer that constantly sends me stuff I’m not interested in, I just unsubscribe.

They’re a PITA for several reasons, one of them being that you lose your more important email in the noise. But you can always unsubscribe, or, if you’re partial to that retailer, create an email address just for those. That’s what I did and if and when I’m in the mood, I check into that e-mail. That’s where the Garagiste spam and all the rest go. Except for Posner’s. Those are entertaining enough to go to my standard e-mail.

But e-mail from Total Wine? Who knew?

At least you can unsubscribe from most of them or mark them as SPAM so you can weed them out. I would like to find a way to rid of the “Local Ranking” robo-calls I get every other day, despite having unsubscribed by pressing 9, five times, spoken to three reps and one person who is supposedly a supervisor. If I lived in NYC, I’d pay them a personal visit at this time.

Don’t even start on the calls Randy.

I get a regular call from a chimney sweeping company telling me they’re calling to set up a cleaning. I guess they figure that if they talk like it’s a done deal, you won’t wonder WTF they’re talking about. I finally put them on my reject list. Looked at my phone two days ago - 13 calls in ten minutes.

E-mail is one thing but calls are irritating as hell.

I highly recommend people use Inbox by google if they use gmail. You can sort in categories and everything bundles into categories, so unlike labels in gmail that still display each individual email it bundles them into one line “wine purchases” which you can click and open up to those emails. I have one set just for wine retailers. It doesn’t show up as “new mail” in the inbox count and you can browse at your leisure.

PC’s emails are only once a week. The daily ones from other retailers can be a nuisance. Try to unsubscribe, but it’s like HPV, they keep recurring despite the best of efforts.

I get those calls and I live in a condo.

Too much soot inhalation over the years. Only explanation I can think of.

Charlie - that may be one of the first useful ideas Google has had for g-mail. I just get it sent to spam but that’s a better solution.

i got 48 emails from wine retailers on February 10. it’s too much, but i rarely unsubscribe because the moment i do, i’ll miss out on a sick deal.

[winner.gif]

If I get more than 1 per day from the same retailer, I get annoyed. Preference would be once a week, or once a month.

So do you include WTSO and Cinderella wines in this grouping?

Prefer more personalized emails based upon my past purchases.