2012 Scarecrow on Deck

Received the email indicating the 2012s would go on sale in early March. I’ve been a buyer for the past 4 years and given the reputation of 2012 Napa in general, I imagine this will be a very nice wine.

Does anyone know how the critics have rated it?

Been buying since 05. Wonder what the pricing will be? RP scored it 98 IIRC. I am sure it will be great. There are a lot of great Cabs in 2012 out there.

What was the release price last year?

I tasted with Celia in October and rated it 97 in the year-end issue. To Loren’s point, Celia made some other excellent 2012 CS as well.

97 2012 Scarecrow Cabernet Sauvignon
Rutherford, 14.9%, $285 March 2015 release
The nose is a deeply saturated black plum, spicy blackberry, and notes of fresh strawberry. The palate is classic Scarecrow – beautifully polished entry with complex berry, currant, rose petal and chocolate. Dense, and loamy on the finish. Drink 2015 – 2035. http://www.pdwr.co

2012 will be $285 per according to this article:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-11-18/napa-s-wizard-of-oz-winery-makes-cult-cabs-worth-the-price-.html

Hey Doug, did you detect any heat on this? Where would this wine fall on the “big” scale?

I can’t beleive how these wineries keep raising prices while Schrader doesn’t.

Nothing overt. By comparison, red BDX varieties from Pahlmeyer, Bure and Morlet, as well as Celia’s Lindstrom in this issue were all 15+ ABV and they are all exceptionally well balanced to my palate.

Much appreciated. Thanks, Doug.

Doug,

How would you compare this scarecrow at $285 to the Odette reserve at $300?

Odette is a wine I have not tasted yet.

Any ideas as to what their 10 yr anniversary surprise will be??

Is 2013 their 10 year ann?

Premiere release was 2003, making 2012 their tenth release. Is that what you meant?

Yes, the 2012 vintage will be their 10th. In the mailer they said they have something special in store for their 10th year anniversary. Does anyone know or have any ideas as to what this surprise might be?

Something to do with Toto and Opium Dreams, perhaps?

Magnums and 12 pack OWC’s are available this year

If you’re interested in drinking it any time soon, and have to make $ choices, go with M. Etain. This is a fantastic wine for the money, much like Abreu’s second label.

Chris Echeck - did you get your offering already? Didn’t realize they did magnums.