Arnot-Roberts Rosè anyone,

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1 Post by Warren Taranow » February 3rd, 2015, 8:26 am

Vintage 2014 offer just hit my e-mailbox. Touriga Nacional from Luchsinger Vineyard.
I've no experience with AN rosès and would appreciate any comments.

Cheers,
Warren
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

P. D e r d e y n

#2 Post by P. D e r d e y n » February 3rd, 2015, 8:30 am

This shipping cost is insane deadhorse
Patrick

Dusty Gillson

#3 Post by Dusty Gillson » February 3rd, 2015, 8:32 am

The wine is excellent, but I've only seen it at restaurants in the past, so I can't speak to the cost or the shipping. One of the better California Roses IMHO.
Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever. - Aristophanes

Larry P
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Larry P » February 3rd, 2015, 8:39 am

I haven't had the 2014 but previous vintages have been easily one of the best rosés out there.
P ! g g ! n s

"You keep me searching for a heart of gold" - Neil Young
"Metal heart, you're not worth a thing" - Cat Power

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Brian Tuite » February 3rd, 2015, 8:44 am

Larry P wrote:I haven't had the 2014 but previous vintages have been easily one of the best rosés out there.
+1, the '12 was one of my all time favorite Rosés.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

P. D e r d e y n

#6 Post by P. D e r d e y n » February 3rd, 2015, 8:46 am

I really want some, I just can't pull the trigger on $7.5/bottle shipping for a $23 wine. I'll just hope I get to try a sip of someone else's open bottle this summer.
Patrick

Dan Hegarty

#7 Post by Dan Hegarty » February 3rd, 2015, 8:46 am

I'm new to the list, but 6.66 a bottle for shipping on half a case to the East coast seems incredibly high. Anyone know of any East coast retailers who normally carry this?

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Brian Tuite » February 3rd, 2015, 8:55 am

P. D e r d e y n wrote:I really want some, I just can't pull the trigger on $7.5/bottle shipping for a $23 wine. I'll just hope I get to try a sip of someone else's open bottle this summer.
Dan Hegarty wrote:I'm new to the list, but 6.66 a bottle for shipping on half a case to the East coast seems incredibly high. Anyone know of any East coast retailers who normally carry this?

http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/vie ... 1&t=110729

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

2019 WOTY...

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#9 Post by larry schaffer » February 3rd, 2015, 8:56 am

So is the wine club price $23 or is that suggested retail? And how much is shipping within CA?

Just curious to compare and contrast . . .

$23 doesn't sound outrageous for one of the best domestic roses out there according to many - just wondering if this is discounted price or full retail. And anyone know what it cost last year?

Cheers!
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Dave McIsaac
BerserkerDay Champion
BerserkerDay Champion

#10 Post by Dave McIsaac » February 3rd, 2015, 9:06 am

larry schaffer wrote:So is the wine club price $23 or is that suggested retail? And how much is shipping within CA?

Just curious to compare and contrast . . .

$23 doesn't sound outrageous for one of the best domestic roses out there according to many - just wondering if this is discounted price or full retail. And anyone know what it cost last year?

Cheers!
Larry - You seem to ask a lot of questions about costs of other's wines. Are you asking to better gauge your competitors?

Just curious……..

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#11 Post by larry schaffer » February 3rd, 2015, 9:21 am

Dave,

I am not on a lot of other winery's wine club lists so I am not privy to this information. I'm always interested in what others charge, mostly to gauge what others are paying for good wines out there. And what better way to find out than to just ask, right?

I could spend more time going onto a bunch of websites to look, but 'in the heat of the moment', when a thread is ongoing, it seems like a perfect place to ask. Much of the time, that info is laid out in the thread, but sometimes it's not - and it's interesting to see how different folks react to the same information . . .

Hope that clears that up for you.

Cheers!
larry schaffer
tercero wines

gwagner

#12 Post by gwagner » February 3rd, 2015, 9:47 am

None for me. I ordered a 6 pack of the touriga rose from the 2012 vintage and I just didn't "get" it. I tried them at cellar, fridge & room temp and just did not find any of them enjoyable to my palate. Not trying to bash the wine, but if i could do it over again, i would try before I go long on these. It is a different style of rose.

Their customer service is great. I had a few that had depressed corks, and they sent out replacements right away.
Gerald

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » February 3rd, 2015, 9:49 am

So $6.66/bottle to ship ground to the east coast...

I just looked at three other wineries where I recently ordered 6 bottles, and the costs per bottle to ship ground to the east coast were:

$5.33
$5.83
$5.00

An extra $0.83 per bottle over the highest of the other three is absolute noise. So is an extra $1.66 a bottle in the grand scheme of things.

The issue is that we want really good wine at a reasonable cost, and we hate what it takes to get it to us. It feels all that much worse when it's a $20-$25 wine instead of a $60 wine.

But overall it's noise.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Dan Hegarty

#14 Post by Dan Hegarty » February 3rd, 2015, 10:05 am

David M. Bueker wrote:So $6.66/bottle to ship ground to the east coast...

I just looked at three other wineries where I recently ordered 6 bottles, and the costs per bottle to ship ground to the east coast were:

$5.33
$5.83
$5.00

An extra $0.83 per bottle over the highest of the other three is absolute noise. So is an extra $1.66 a bottle in the grand scheme of things.

The issue is that we want really good wine at a reasonable cost, and we hate what it takes to get it to us. It feels all that much worse when it's a $20-$25 wine instead of a $60 wine.

But overall it's noise.
Thanks for taking a look back. My experience hasn't been the same as yours, with my average hovering around $4 a bottle, but then again newhere.

You're quite right that the shipping does seem to hurt more when the wines are more "reasonably" priced.

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » February 3rd, 2015, 10:10 am

This was not a look back. This was three orders placed in the last month.

Ross Massey

#16 Post by Ross Massey » February 3rd, 2015, 10:12 am

Dan Hegarty wrote:I'm new to the list, but 6.66 a bottle for shipping on half a case to the East coast seems incredibly high. Anyone know of any East coast retailers who normally carry this?
I agree, the shipping cost is tough, especially for a lower priced wine like the rose. It's delicious but personally I always pass on the direct offer because of that. Usually the better NYC shops such as Flatiron and Chambers St get some in stock not that long after the direct offer hits.
IG: @rmasseynyc

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » February 3rd, 2015, 10:13 am

Mel loved the 13, the 12 was my fav. Will buy.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Hal Blumberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Hal Blumberg » February 3rd, 2015, 10:17 am

Wondering if they will let you ship the rose along with purchases made in their upcoming Spring offering? This might bring down the shipping charge/bottle if one is going to buy their syrahs, cabs, etc anyway.

Cheers,

Hal

Matt Latuchie
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Matt Latuchie » February 3rd, 2015, 11:52 am

Love the wine, will not order if they charge those shipping costs. Oh well, plenty of other ways to spend my $.
CellarTracker: tooch
Instagram: mattlatuchie
philadelphia eagles football

P. D e r d e y n

#20 Post by P. D e r d e y n » February 3rd, 2015, 12:04 pm

Hal Blumberg wrote:Wondering if they will let you ship the rose along with purchases made in their upcoming Spring offering? This might bring down the shipping charge/bottle if one is going to buy their syrahs, cabs, etc anyway.

Cheers,

Hal

I'll ask that question and report back. Does anyone have historical pricing info on the SV cabs?
Patrick

peyton everett

#21 Post by peyton everett » February 3rd, 2015, 12:48 pm

Considering this is one of very few wines that my wife would complain about me NOT purchasing, and I have no chance to get it retail I'm definitely in for a half case or so, regardless of shipping.

It does seem like high shipping cost is always a point of contention for every AR release. You'd think they would be able to negotiate a better deal??
P. D e r d e y n wrote:Does anyone have historical pricing info on the SV cabs?
$85-90 if memory serves correct.
If you don't start drinking early, how can you drink all day?

willjschmidt

#22 Post by willjschmidt » February 3rd, 2015, 1:01 pm

P. D e r d e y n wrote:This shipping cost is insane deadhorse
To people in LA or the Bay Area (or that don't mind K&L's shipping costs), K&L gets this wine in every year and sells it for $23.

P. D e r d e y n

#23 Post by P. D e r d e y n » February 3rd, 2015, 1:48 pm

Got a very quick and nice response from Jennifer. She is willing to hold the Rose to ship with the Spring offer if you just put a note in the shipping notes.
Patrick

Ledwards
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Ledwards » February 3rd, 2015, 6:01 pm

BTW.. Galloni gave out very high scores (97,96) for their reasonably priced chards today in his Sonoma report. I am a fan- especially at $40-45 per bottle.
Luke

Adam F.

#25 Post by Adam F. » February 3rd, 2015, 9:53 pm

In for half a case. Definitely a favorite in our house.
Adam Fiss

Adam F.

#26 Post by Adam F. » February 3rd, 2015, 9:54 pm

In for half a case. Definitely a favorite in our house.
Adam Fiss

Joel W

#27 Post by Joel W » February 3rd, 2015, 10:46 pm

It's funny, Arnot Roberts is petty universally loved here. I bought a few 2 years back ( I think it was two) and I wasn't impressed. It was good, but I didn't buy again and found other rose I favored much more. I'm not badmouthing them, just didn't wow me like some other roses I've come to love.
J W.e.1.t.y
Calm Down...

Steve Pohlman

#28 Post by Steve Pohlman » February 4th, 2015, 3:20 am

I'll have to think about this. Have bought and loved the 2012 and 2013 but with shipping the price gets into the same price range as Mordoree Tavel and while good, it's not Mordoree.

I looked up my most recent case purchase from Scherrer and shipping was $48.00. Assuming Fred's Dry Rose is again $22 + $4 versus AR at $23 + $6.66 I think I'll just double down on Scherrer, which I prefer.

I hasten to remind all that Lancyre Rose Which I purchased for $14.99 at the Utah State store (never a bargin source) has no shipping and is excellent year after year.
Steve Pohlman
Park City, Utah

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » February 4th, 2015, 5:09 am

We bought the 2012, loved it. Bought the 2013 and it was okay. If shipping is as high as reported, we'll probably pass. I feel for the wineries as it looks like shipping costs have gone up across the board. I don't expect they should have to eat it, but it's still tough to swallow.

Mel Hill

#30 Post by Mel Hill » February 4th, 2015, 5:21 am

ditto, bought in '12 & '13 but the $40 shipping for 6 btls is a no go for us. I can find many more rosés at that price point I will enjoy just as much. I'd like to support AR but Just not for the rosé anymore.

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » February 4th, 2015, 5:23 am

Shipping costs exploded with fuel costs.

It's worth noting that shipping costs, even when checked directly with UPS/FedEx are not going down with lower fuel costs. The shipping companies are feathering their nests.

Kyle Schlachter

#32 Post by Kyle Schlachter » February 4th, 2015, 6:45 am

Open a bottle of the 2012 last night. The color of a brand new penny. Strawberry, watermelon, basil, thyme. Savory. Quenching acidity.

Bought a 6-er of the '12 on release, but skipped the '13 last year because of shipping costs. Picked up a few bottles at retail and will probably do the same this year.
Colorado Wine Press
@COWinePress

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#33 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » February 4th, 2015, 7:38 am

I bought it at Wine Library last year and loved it. Great price too.

Jeff Fish
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Jeff Fish » February 4th, 2015, 9:10 am

Normally I would be a buyer. But it is now distributed in Ohio (at least it was last year), so I have that going for me, which is nice.
Jeffrey D. Fish

Shut the up, Donny. You're out of your element.

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#35 Post by Merrill Lindquist » February 4th, 2015, 4:57 pm

Scott Fitzgerald wrote:We bought the 2012, loved it. Bought the 2013 and it was okay. If shipping is as high as reported, we'll probably pass. I feel for the wineries as it looks like shipping costs have gone up across the board. I don't expect they should have to eat it, but it's still tough to swallow.
Scott - I am thrilled to see the inclusion of EMH in your colorful collage/avatar. Thank you.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » February 4th, 2015, 5:56 pm

Merrill Lindquist wrote:
Scott Fitzgerald wrote:We bought the 2012, loved it. Bought the 2013 and it was okay. If shipping is as high as reported, we'll probably pass. I feel for the wineries as it looks like shipping costs have gone up across the board. I don't expect they should have to eat it, but it's still tough to swallow.
Scott - I am thrilled to see the inclusion of EMH in your colorful collage/avatar. Thank you.
Aw, shucks...

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Brian Tuite » February 4th, 2015, 7:16 pm

Scott Fitzgerald wrote:
Merrill Lindquist wrote:
Aw, shucks...
It's a big improvement from the dork in the cowboy hat. [pillow-fight.gif] neener

2019 WOTY...

Clayton Wai-Poi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Clayton Wai-Poi » February 4th, 2015, 7:21 pm

I'm a fan, but count me as another that will skip this release due to the shipping costs. I'll probably pick up a few bottles at retail. I've also taken the same stance on the RPM release, but order from their main releases.

Seems to me that they'd be better off offering subsidized shipping than selling it through 3-tier, but their call i guess.

Robert Cook

#39 Post by Robert Cook » February 4th, 2015, 7:51 pm

This is my first offering, off of the waitlist. I'm probably more interested in their cabs, syrah's, etc. than this offer.

Does anyone know, if I pass on this offer will I still get an allocation for the spring offer, or am I obligated to purchase off of this one to secure a future allocation?

Return to “Wine Talk”