Some Sunday fodder: Your highest rated or most memorable bottle of domestic Pinot Noir EVER

Mr. Daner got me to thinking with his recommendation of Soliste Pinot in another thread. I will seek one out soon. Let’s take it further here.

What is your most highly rated or most memorable domestic Pinot you have had to date EVER? Before you answer, please give a few words about your style preferences in Pinot. Having that could be quite helpful to people like me who are finding their way. I also realize that great Pinots are made elsewhere, but lets please keep it domestic for this thread, or better yet, start your own thread. :slight_smile:

I will thank you in advance. I will also give my humble entry and please keep in mind, I am new to this Pinot thing.

Style preferences so far: red fruits/strawberries. dried rose petals/hints of tartness. lemon peel, bright and crunchy.

2012 Kelley Fox Wines Pinot Noir Mirabai

Thank you [cheers.gif]

I tend to prefer the more Burgundian, lighter, higher acid pinots. William Selyem form 1984 and 1985 were my outstanding California pinots.Maybe Precious Mt. and Rochioli. Current would be Soliste 2012 Ambroise.

I was on the William Selyem list in the 90’s and the Allen vineyard bottlings were probably the best I have ever had. Not sure about the current status of this vineyard.

Well, you know my preferences. Clos Saron which you’ll probably hate would be my top pick. Hirsch Vineyards would be my second which you may or may not like. The line-up is strong all the way through.

1997 Arcadian Pisoni consumed in 2008 and 2010
2001 Arcadian Sleepy Hollow consumed numerous times and still going strong.

This. I long for those late 80’s and 90’s W-S bottlings. I haven’t topped them since. Several Rochioli SVDs, the 2005 West Block was one, have come close.

1993 Domain Drouhin Laurene
2002 Domain Drouhin Laurene
2002 Thomas
2006 Anthill Farms Abbey-Harris

Cheers,

Hal

I’m squarely now in the leaner edges of CA, with a an eye to Anderson Valley, as I enjoy the red fruits in Pinot Noir that come from there: apple, strawberry and raspberry, with blue tones in warmer years. Acidity and very low new wood, as well.

2007 Copain Kiser En Bas

and perhaps in time, the 2012 Kutch Falstaff

I like Pinot Noir across the style spectrum. I prefer more acid than tannin structurally. My favorite Pinot Noir ever from anywhere is:

1991 Eyrie South Block Reserve, Dundee Hills Willamette Valley

The South Block are ten rows in the Estate vineyard. This gets 2 years in barrel before release. I drank this in 2012 while standing in the kitchen of Tom Douglas’s “Serious Pie” restaurant in Seattle. This was 21 years from vintage & I can still remember the perfect tightrope walk of pure, energetic cherry/pomegranate fruit, spectacular acid & hints of spiciness. It built intensity throughout the night & was the best Pinot Noir I’ve ever had.

Paul, I had 5 bottles of Hirsch San Andreas that are sadly gone, and I loved them all. Lasted all of 2 months.

Very cool seeing the Laurene love. We drank a 2011 on Christmas Day over cheese & charcuterie. Domaine Drouhin had 2002 of their regular Pinot out as a library offering when I visited once and they were knee buckling good. I’ve never tasted that vintage of Laurene, but I can only imagine.

2009 Marcassin Blue Slide Ridge. Nothing else even close.

2009 Donum Russian River Reserve

Love that wine…

• 2009 Martinelli Blue Slide Ridge pinot is my close second
  • 2006 Martinelli Zio Tony Ranch would be up there also
  • Really liking the 2012 Patz & Hall Chenoweth Ranch (with a bit of age this one could be on my list)

Might be a first! We agree on a wine!!! champagne.gif

2004 Windy Oaks Henry’s Block. Definitely California but had a great funk and a wonderful transition from the sweet/sappy midpalate to the crisp/tart finish.

I can enjoy multiple styles depending on the occasion. I did love the 2002 Martinelli BSR the two times I had it.

Most memorable: 1990 Elk Cove Reserve, consumed in 2010. Highest rated would be a tossup with many contenders, I think.

California My first Dehlinger (I think it was a 95)
Oregon 2004 Domaine Serene Evenstad Reserve. It got me hooked on what Oregon can do.

Ditto !!