Advice Appreciated - Burgundy Visit in Early August

Apologies for yet another thread seeking some advice about a Burgundy trip - I did some searching without much success.

My wife and I have a small window of opportunity for three days around the 6-8th August to visit Burgundy. I also have to balance my interest in the famed vineyards of Vosne Romanee, Vougeot and Gevrey with her more general scenery and photo opportunity idealism (it’s good to have balance [cheers.gif] ) With this in mind we have decided to stay in one place, the Hotel Les Grand Crus in Gevrey http://www.hoteldesgrandscrus.com/uk/index.php#index.php hopefully with a room overlooking the Cazetiers vineyard! From here we can use our car for pre arranged visits with winemakers and hopefully hire bikes for a day (can you do that in Gevrey?)

Can those who have been through NSG and north, what are some nice restaurants, and are there any other places of interest to keep a non wine historically minded person interested while her husband gazes at boring (!) vineyards. Due to time constraints we are keeping our focus this time to north of Beaune.

Any thoughts appreciated, thank you.

In NSG restaurant La Cabotte is definitely worth a visit. You won’t have any problem at all combining wine, scenery, and other interests. For us, the attraction of Burgundy is exactly that: vineyards, wine, food, scenery, quaint old villages.

Chambolle-Musigny’s Le Millesime is very good (both food and wine list). I have not been to Chez Guy in Gevrey but I intend to on my next visit, it is well regarded. For the non-wine person a tour of the Chateau at Vougeot is interesting (a little museum with the history of winemaking).

I agree with you that one of the most interesting parts of visiting Burgundy is just walking around the vineyards. I’ve found Clos St Jacques (see if you can visit Sylvie Esmonin), Combes aux Moines and Griotte some of the most fascinating to walk around.

A pre-arranged visit to the Gaugry Epoisses (and other, related) cheese factory in Brochon (a Gevrey mailing address) is very interesting. They have a public tour…but…asking for one might get a more interesting experience.

We stayed with our 1 year old son at the Hotel des Grands Crus in 1988. Well located, for sure…and a nice place. I think we stayed there once since…

Beware if you’re visiting estates to ask before ypu get there, as August is vacation month even for Burgundy winerier. The busy season starts soon thereafter.

A visit to Philippe Leclerc’s wine shop in “downtown” Gevrey is always fun an interesting. I am a fan…but, even if you’re not…it’s worth the effort.