Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Blanc de Blanc sparkler

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Post Reply
Message
Author
R Roberts
Posts: 907
Joined: September 2nd, 2013, 8:03 pm
Location: SF peninsula

Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Blanc de Blanc sparkler

#1 Post by R Roberts » January 29th, 2015, 9:26 pm

Jeff, Kevin, what is this you speak of??

R.ama

R Roberts
Posts: 907
Joined: September 2nd, 2013, 8:03 pm
Location: SF peninsula

Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Blanc de Blanc sparkler

#2 Post by R Roberts » January 29th, 2015, 9:47 pm

Jeff answered via twitter, transcribed here:
We did a 2012 and this was the 2013, only 1000 bottles. Looks promising...
[wow.gif]
R.ama

User avatar
P. D e r d e y n
Posts: 501
Joined: January 30th, 2014, 8:47 pm

Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Blanc de Blanc sparkler

#3 Post by P. D e r d e y n » January 29th, 2015, 10:48 pm

We've heard rumors about this for a while. Let's hop Kevin or Jeff chime in to give us details or tell us when this might be released.
Patrick

Kevin Harvey
Posts: 2570
Joined: February 4th, 2009, 9:09 pm
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains

Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Blanc de Blanc sparkler

#4 Post by Kevin Harvey » January 30th, 2015, 6:27 am

I think Jeff has trouble curbing his enthusiasm!

We have made a sparkling wine (trying not to use the regulated C word!) from Horseshoe Chardonnay in 2012 and 2013. So far the results are quite promising, but we plan to age the bottles for years before disgorging so this is a very long term project.

More to come in a few years!
Rhys Vineyards

D. Wirsig
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 838
Joined: July 26th, 2009, 11:06 am
Location: Los Angeles

Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Blanc de Blanc sparkler

#5 Post by D. Wirsig » January 30th, 2015, 10:36 am

Any plans for a Rosé ? [beg.gif]
Dan
--
http://www.vinoterawine.com/
ITB - Pasadena, CA Wine Merchant

Kevin Harvey
Posts: 2570
Joined: February 4th, 2009, 9:09 pm
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains

Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Blanc de Blanc sparkler

#6 Post by Kevin Harvey » January 30th, 2015, 12:55 pm

D. Wirsig wrote:Any plans for a Rosé ? [beg.gif]
Dan,
We are in the early stages but if we love the results we might expand the offerings.
Rhys Vineyards

User avatar
Er€z _ L.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 884
Joined: September 21st, 2013, 11:05 am
Location: New York, NY

Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Blanc de Blanc sparkler

#7 Post by Er€z _ L. » January 30th, 2015, 2:01 pm

Kevin,
Can we purchase futures? ;-)
£ € n c n @ r

Kevin Harvey
Posts: 2570
Joined: February 4th, 2009, 9:09 pm
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains

Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Blanc de Blanc sparkler

#8 Post by Kevin Harvey » January 30th, 2015, 3:01 pm

Erez_L. wrote:Kevin,
Can we purchase futures? ;-)
I think we would need to call those "Way-in-the-Futures"!
Rhys Vineyards

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3013
Joined: January 30th, 2012, 9:22 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Blanc de Blanc sparkler

#9 Post by Mike Evans » January 30th, 2015, 4:01 pm

Kevin Harvey wrote:
Erez_L. wrote:Kevin,
Can we purchase futures? ;-)
I think we would need to call those "Way-in-the-Futures"!
Just call them PC futures. We all know what it means and will have no expectation of delivery any time soon (measured geologically) .

User avatar
rob klafter
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 535
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 3:26 am

Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Blanc de Blanc sparkler

#10 Post by rob klafter » January 30th, 2015, 4:25 pm

while we are at it…what has come of the nebbiolo considerations

or even riesling
;)
@grossesgewachs

User avatar
Sherri S h a p i r o
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 2730
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 2:22 pm
Location: South FL

Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Blanc de Blanc sparkler

#11 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » February 1st, 2015, 10:00 am

Very excited about both a sparkler and a rose! Can't wait to try!

Kevin Harvey
Posts: 2570
Joined: February 4th, 2009, 9:09 pm
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains

Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Blanc de Blanc sparkler

#12 Post by Kevin Harvey » February 2nd, 2015, 9:52 am

rob klafter wrote:while we are at it…what has come of the nebbiolo considerations

or even riesling
;)
These are also very long term projects! I would like to say "Stay Tuned" but it's probably better to say "Tune back in a few years"!
Rhys Vineyards

Peter B.
Posts: 24
Joined: February 9th, 2014, 12:05 am

Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Blanc de Blanc sparkler

#13 Post by Peter B. » February 2nd, 2015, 10:02 am

Woah, a sparkling wine from Rhys would be awesome. Definitely excited to see what comes of that
Peter B r u e c k n e r

User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19297
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA

Re: Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Blanc de Blanc sparkler

#14 Post by Brian Tuite » November 22nd, 2019, 10:14 am

Mine arrived yesterday. Just in time for Thanksgiving!
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

S teve R edenbaugh
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 115
Joined: April 23rd, 2018, 12:28 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Blanc de Blanc sparkler

#15 Post by S teve R edenbaugh » November 22nd, 2019, 11:58 am

Yeah...mine arrived today. Along with forgotten about 6 500ml Syrahs and 6 Aeris. Thinking about popping a 1.5 Blanc de Blanc for weekend Cassoulet Dinner.

Joshua Kates
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1249
Joined: October 30th, 2011, 6:31 am

Re: Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Blanc de Blanc sparkler

#16 Post by Joshua Kates » November 22nd, 2019, 12:38 pm

S teve R edenbaugh wrote:
November 22nd, 2019, 11:58 am
Yeah...mine arrived today. Along with forgotten about 6 500ml Syrahs and 6 Aeris. Thinking about popping a 1.5 Blanc de Blanc for weekend Cassoulet Dinner.
If you do, please report back--mine arrived as well, thinking of popping 1 for Thanksgiving.

User avatar
D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 33547
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 8:06 am
Location: Connecticut

Re: Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Blanc de Blanc sparkler

#17 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » November 22nd, 2019, 12:39 pm

But it’s Bearwallow, not Horseshoe.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19297
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA

Re: Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Blanc de Blanc sparkler

#18 Post by Brian Tuite » November 22nd, 2019, 12:49 pm

But but...
Yeah, you’re right. I searched Rhys Blanc de blancs and this came up.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

Kevin Harvey
Posts: 2570
Joined: February 4th, 2009, 9:09 pm
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains

Re: Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Blanc de Blanc sparkler

#19 Post by Kevin Harvey » November 22nd, 2019, 12:58 pm

I can understand how someone might be confused! We do have a "tirage" bottling of Horseshoe BdB but have not decided when or if we will release it. Our first sparkling release is the 2015 Bearwallow Blanc des Blancs. It drinks very well right now so I wouldn't hesitate to pop one. FWIW, I plan to serve it for Thanksgiving.
Rhys Vineyards

User avatar
Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7834
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 5:51 pm
Location: South OC

Re: Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Blanc de Blanc sparkler

#20 Post by Frank Murray III » November 22nd, 2019, 2:42 pm

Kevin, when does So Cal ship out? Didn't get mine yet.
My WOTY candidates for 2019:
2014 Marie Courtin Eloquence BdB Extra Brut
2017 Rivers-Marie PN Platt SC
2017 Kutch Pinot Noir SC PN
2009 Roederer Cristal Brut
2017 Carlisle Zin Mancini Ranch RRV

My best wines of 2018:
2017 Kutch Falstaff Sonoma Coast PN
2012 Marguet La Grande Ruelle Ambonnay

Kindness matters.

User avatar
Jeff Brinkman
Posts: 637
Joined: February 5th, 2009, 6:51 am

Re: Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Blanc de Blanc sparkler

#21 Post by Jeff Brinkman » November 22nd, 2019, 2:58 pm

Frank Murray III wrote:
November 22nd, 2019, 2:42 pm
Kevin, when does So Cal ship out? Didn't get mine yet.
Hi Frank,
We're working on it but unfortunately the Norcal fires cut off our supply chain for shipping materials and we've been behind getting wines out. We'd hoped to get Socal out this week but it isn't going to happen. With the short week next week it's looking more like the week after.

User avatar
Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7834
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 5:51 pm
Location: South OC

Re: Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Blanc de Blanc sparkler

#22 Post by Frank Murray III » November 22nd, 2019, 3:04 pm

Jeff, thanks. Happy holidays, as well.
My WOTY candidates for 2019:
2014 Marie Courtin Eloquence BdB Extra Brut
2017 Rivers-Marie PN Platt SC
2017 Kutch Pinot Noir SC PN
2009 Roederer Cristal Brut
2017 Carlisle Zin Mancini Ranch RRV

My best wines of 2018:
2017 Kutch Falstaff Sonoma Coast PN
2012 Marguet La Grande Ruelle Ambonnay

Kindness matters.

Joshua Kates
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1249
Joined: October 30th, 2011, 6:31 am

Re: Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Blanc de Blanc sparkler

#23 Post by Joshua Kates » November 22nd, 2019, 4:39 pm

Kevin Harvey wrote:
November 22nd, 2019, 12:58 pm
I can understand how someone might be confused! We do have a "tirage" bottling of Horseshoe BdB but have not decided when or if we will release it. Our first sparkling release is the 2015 Bearwallow Blanc des Blancs. It drinks very well right now so I wouldn't hesitate to pop one. FWIW, I plan to serve it for Thanksgiving.
Thanks, Kevin,

Will be poppin one before the main course, and, yes, David, Bearwallow!

User avatar
Chris V.
Posts: 517
Joined: July 31st, 2012, 6:40 am
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Re: Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Blanc de Blanc sparkler

#24 Post by Chris V. » December 3rd, 2019, 4:51 am

Kevin Harvey wrote:
November 22nd, 2019, 12:58 pm
I can understand how someone might be confused! We do have a "tirage" bottling of Horseshoe BdB but have not decided when or if we will release it. Our first sparkling release is the 2015 Bearwallow Blanc des Blancs. It drinks very well right now so I wouldn't hesitate to pop one. FWIW, I plan to serve it for Thanksgiving.
Kevin, I'm curious. You seem to be distinguishing the Bearwallow bottling from the Horseshoe by calling the Horseshoe "tirage", suggesting the Bearwallow somehow does not have tirage. But doesn't any traditional method sparkling wine have some tirage added and spend some time aging en tirage? Perhaps I'm missing something obvious?
V a n d e r m a r e l

User avatar
D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 33547
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 8:06 am
Location: Connecticut

Re: Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Blanc de Blanc sparkler

#25 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » December 3rd, 2019, 5:43 am

He just means that the Horseshoe is still on its lees.

The Bearwallow was obviously disgorged, as it has been released.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Kevin Harvey
Posts: 2570
Joined: February 4th, 2009, 9:09 pm
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains

Re: Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Blanc de Blanc sparkler

#26 Post by Kevin Harvey » December 3rd, 2019, 6:47 am

Chris V. wrote:
December 3rd, 2019, 4:51 am
Kevin Harvey wrote:
November 22nd, 2019, 12:58 pm
I can understand how someone might be confused! We do have a "tirage" bottling of Horseshoe BdB but have not decided when or if we will release it. Our first sparkling release is the 2015 Bearwallow Blanc des Blancs. It drinks very well right now so I wouldn't hesitate to pop one. FWIW, I plan to serve it for Thanksgiving.
Kevin, I'm curious. You seem to be distinguishing the Bearwallow bottling from the Horseshoe by calling the Horseshoe "tirage", suggesting the Bearwallow somehow does not have tirage. But doesn't any traditional method sparkling wine have some tirage added and spend some time aging en tirage? Perhaps I'm missing something obvious?
Chris,
A sparkling wine "en tirage" is aging in bottle with the lees (expired yeast cells) still in the bottle. When it is disgorged, the lees are expelled and the wine is finished. We have many bottlings of sparkling wine currently aging "en tirage" which could range from 2-10 years.
Rhys Vineyards

User avatar
Chris V.
Posts: 517
Joined: July 31st, 2012, 6:40 am
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Re: Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Blanc de Blanc sparkler

#27 Post by Chris V. » December 4th, 2019, 8:46 am

Kevin Harvey wrote:
December 3rd, 2019, 6:47 am
Chris V. wrote:
December 3rd, 2019, 4:51 am
Kevin Harvey wrote:
November 22nd, 2019, 12:58 pm
I can understand how someone might be confused! We do have a "tirage" bottling of Horseshoe BdB but have not decided when or if we will release it. Our first sparkling release is the 2015 Bearwallow Blanc des Blancs. It drinks very well right now so I wouldn't hesitate to pop one. FWIW, I plan to serve it for Thanksgiving.
Kevin, I'm curious. You seem to be distinguishing the Bearwallow bottling from the Horseshoe by calling the Horseshoe "tirage", suggesting the Bearwallow somehow does not have tirage. But doesn't any traditional method sparkling wine have some tirage added and spend some time aging en tirage? Perhaps I'm missing something obvious?
Chris,
A sparkling wine "en tirage" is aging in bottle with the lees (expired yeast cells) still in the bottle. When it is disgorged, the lees are expelled and the wine is finished. We have many bottlings of sparkling wine currently aging "en tirage" which could range from 2-10 years.
Exactly my point. Weren't both the Bearwallow and the Horseshoe at one point en tirage? Your original post lead my to believe that the Bearwallow was somehow never aged en tirage.
V a n d e r m a r e l

Kevin Harvey
Posts: 2570
Joined: February 4th, 2009, 9:09 pm
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains

Re: Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Blanc de Blanc sparkler

#28 Post by Kevin Harvey » December 4th, 2019, 1:16 pm

Chris V. wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 8:46 am
Exactly my point. Weren't both the Bearwallow and the Horseshoe at one point en tirage? Your original post lead my to believe that the Bearwallow was somehow never aged en tirage.
Sorry Chris, now I understand. The Bearwallow BdB was aged about 3 years en tirage. The Horseshoe has aged en tirage longer.
Rhys Vineyards

User avatar
Chris V.
Posts: 517
Joined: July 31st, 2012, 6:40 am
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Re: Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Blanc de Blanc sparkler

#29 Post by Chris V. » December 4th, 2019, 2:37 pm

Kevin Harvey wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 1:16 pm
Chris V. wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 8:46 am
Exactly my point. Weren't both the Bearwallow and the Horseshoe at one point en tirage? Your original post lead my to believe that the Bearwallow was somehow never aged en tirage.
Sorry Chris, now I understand. The Bearwallow BdB was aged about 3 years en tirage. The Horseshoe has aged en tirage longer.
Right. Got it. Thanks, Kevin.
V a n d e r m a r e l

User avatar
Mike Grammer
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6356
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 7:19 am
Location: Toronto

Re: Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Blanc de Blanc sparkler

#30 Post by Mike Grammer » December 6th, 2019, 10:23 am

I guess we Pobega-ed ours then....probably deserves to be revisited in that case. And to be fair, it was in tough against opened 08 Dom and 08 Cristal that day, but from last weekend at Berto's

"2015 Rhys Blanc de Blancs

This has good bubbles and initial entry, but nothing stands out and sort of short finish. Glad to try, though, haven't had one before."


Tran noted the finish as well, can't remember if it was remarked on by Nick, Dave, Jay or Berto.

Surprisingly, we didn't have any older Rhys Pinot or Syrah on that weekend, which we usually do partake of, thanks to Berto's limitless generosity...
Lived Life. With Love. Full Cup

User avatar
Nick Christie
Posts: 83
Joined: November 20th, 2016, 1:37 pm
Location: Durham, NC

Re: Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Blanc de Blanc sparkler

#31 Post by Nick Christie » December 6th, 2019, 7:12 pm

I think the fair comparison that Humberto and I discussed was this sparkling vs. an Ultramarine '15 that we had in September...

I believe our sentiments were that the front-end fruit for this rhys might be more becoming than that on the Ultramarine, but that the bubbles/texture/finish of the Ultramarine might have more verve and more sophistication.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4768
Joined: February 19th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Re: Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Blanc de Blanc sparkler

#32 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » December 6th, 2019, 7:15 pm

Mike Grammer wrote:
December 6th, 2019, 10:23 am
I guess we Pobega-ed ours then....probably deserves to be revisited in that case. And to be fair, it was in tough against opened 08 Dom and 08 Cristal that day, but from last weekend at Berto's

"2015 Rhys Blanc de Blancs

This has good bubbles and initial entry, but nothing stands out and sort of short finish. Glad to try, though, haven't had one before."


Tran noted the finish as well, can't remember if it was remarked on by Nick, Dave, Jay or Berto.

Surprisingly, we didn't have any older Rhys Pinot or Syrah on that weekend, which we usually do partake of, thanks to Berto's limitless generosity...
Next up Rhys vs. DRC?

maureen nelson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2313
Joined: June 21st, 2009, 5:12 pm

Re: Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Blanc de Blanc sparkler

#33 Post by maureen nelson » December 6th, 2019, 8:16 pm

Hope shipments to DC soon.

User avatar
Mike Grammer
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6356
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 7:19 am
Location: Toronto

Re: Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Blanc de Blanc sparkler

#34 Post by Mike Grammer » December 6th, 2019, 10:22 pm

Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
December 6th, 2019, 7:15 pm
Mike Grammer wrote:
December 6th, 2019, 10:23 am
I guess we Pobega-ed ours then....probably deserves to be revisited in that case. And to be fair, it was in tough against opened 08 Dom and 08 Cristal that day, but from last weekend at Berto's

"2015 Rhys Blanc de Blancs

This has good bubbles and initial entry, but nothing stands out and sort of short finish. Glad to try, though, haven't had one before."


Tran noted the finish as well, can't remember if it was remarked on by Nick, Dave, Jay or Berto.

Surprisingly, we didn't have any older Rhys Pinot or Syrah on that weekend, which we usually do partake of, thanks to Berto's limitless generosity...
Next up Rhys vs. DRC?
Be nice [grin.gif]

I do, honestly, do my best to take each wine on its own merits. Maybe this time that was harder to do. Ergo a willingness and desire to give it another try sometime.
Lived Life. With Love. Full Cup

User avatar
D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 33547
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 8:06 am
Location: Connecticut

Re: Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Blanc de Blanc sparkler

#35 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » December 7th, 2019, 5:27 am

Let’s also remember that the first couple of vintages of Ultramarine had their fans as well as detractors. Give Kevin and team a couple of vintages to refine their approach.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

User avatar
ERPark
Posts: 3077
Joined: March 7th, 2015, 6:48 am

Re: Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Blanc de Blanc sparkler

#36 Post by ERPark » December 7th, 2019, 2:11 pm

I think I got a sneak peek of this when Kevin was the guest of honor at a Rhys themed dinner back in September. It reminded me more of a Gose than a sparkler from a flavor profile. I like Gose in general. Maybe it was not a primo bottle.
GEN3

User avatar
Ken Strauss
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4864
Joined: November 22nd, 2015, 9:03 am
Location: Sunny South Florida

Re: Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Blanc de Blanc sparkler

#37 Post by Ken Strauss » December 9th, 2019, 7:17 pm

Just got notice that the sparkling has been shipped!
"Explaining is not supporting."

"Independence is a state of mind"

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3629
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 3:54 am

Re: Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Blanc de Blanc sparkler

#38 Post by Wes Barton » December 9th, 2019, 7:38 pm

ERPark wrote:
December 7th, 2019, 2:11 pm
I think I got a sneak peek of this when Kevin was the guest of honor at a Rhys themed dinner back in September. It reminded me more of a Gose than a sparkler from a flavor profile. I like Gose in general. Maybe it was not a primo bottle.
I didn't get that at all. It was a bit low key in an Anderson Valley sort of way, but then sort of crept up on you, revealing more and more. Subtle, but very compelling and lovely.
ITB - Useless lackey

"I've acquired enough wine to seduce an elephant." - Jennifer Robin

crickey
Posts: 410
Joined: August 3rd, 2009, 2:59 pm

Re: Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Blanc de Blanc sparkler

#39 Post by crickey » December 10th, 2019, 11:24 am

I have seen a couple of early tasting notes describe it as sweet. I realize that dosage isn't the be-all, end-all of sweetness in sparklers, but do people have ideas as to why a fairly low-dosage sparkler would taste sweet?
Chri$ Ri¢k€y

User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19297
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA

Re: Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Blanc de Blanc sparkler

#40 Post by Brian Tuite » December 10th, 2019, 1:51 pm

crickey wrote:
December 10th, 2019, 11:24 am
I have seen a couple of early tasting notes describe it as sweet. I realize that dosage isn't the be-all, end-all of sweetness in sparklers, but do people have ideas as to why a fairly low-dosage sparkler would taste sweet?
Good question. I’m one of the ones who thought of it as sweet. Was expecting dry which it perhaps may be but the taste sensation I got threw me a curve as I was expecting something completely different based on word that it had minimal dosage.

Sweater Mike didn’t get what I got out of it. Depends on your palate I suppose.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

User avatar
brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 13117
Joined: April 7th, 2010, 12:17 pm
Location: Mission Viejo, CA

Re: Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Blanc de Blanc sparkler

#41 Post by brigcampbell » December 10th, 2019, 2:07 pm

crickey wrote:
December 10th, 2019, 11:24 am
I have seen a couple of early tasting notes describe it as sweet. I realize that dosage isn't the be-all, end-all of sweetness in sparklers, but do people have ideas as to why a fairly low-dosage sparkler would taste sweet?
Ripeness of the fruit and the level of dosage, it's the combination.

I've had champagne that was 10g/l and thought it was a couple of grams.

Had low dosage and thought it was Brut.

Plus - toss in the "fruity" flavor and the brain can interpret that as "sweet". I think if NZ SB like that, it can be bone dry but taste very "sweet".

User avatar
anthonyshideler
Posts: 92
Joined: January 27th, 2014, 2:04 pm

Re: Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Blanc de Blanc sparkler

#42 Post by anthonyshideler » December 10th, 2019, 2:50 pm

We had a housewarming party over the weekend and popped the '15 Bearwallow sparkler with a bunch of industry friends mostly in production, and the overwhelming response was surprise to how sweet and out of balance the wine came across. As a group with many Rhys lovers there was definitely a little collective disappointment.
ITB

Joshua Kates
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1249
Joined: October 30th, 2011, 6:31 am

Re: Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Blanc de Blanc sparkler

#43 Post by Joshua Kates » December 10th, 2019, 5:20 pm

anthonyshideler wrote:
December 10th, 2019, 2:50 pm
We had a housewarming party over the weekend and popped the '15 Bearwallow sparkler with a bunch of industry friends mostly in production, and the overwhelming response was surprise to how sweet and out of balance the wine came across. As a group with many Rhys lovers there was definitely a little collective disappointment.
+1 Also disappointed by my first bottle, not a lot of cut and big and ripe out of the gate. Flabby. Maybe more time?

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3629
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 3:54 am

Re: Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Blanc de Blanc sparkler

#44 Post by Wes Barton » December 10th, 2019, 5:54 pm

brigcampbell wrote:
December 10th, 2019, 2:07 pm
crickey wrote:
December 10th, 2019, 11:24 am
I have seen a couple of early tasting notes describe it as sweet. I realize that dosage isn't the be-all, end-all of sweetness in sparklers, but do people have ideas as to why a fairly low-dosage sparkler would taste sweet?
Ripeness of the fruit and the level of dosage, it's the combination.

I've had champagne that was 10g/l and thought it was a couple of grams.

Had low dosage and thought it was Brut.

Plus - toss in the "fruity" flavor and the brain can interpret that as "sweet". I think if NZ SB like that, it can be bone dry but taste very "sweet".
Yeah, perception. I'd bet everything else being the same, if they'd used a "neutral" yeast it would seem dry, but also be more austere and much less "Anderson Valley".

It might suffer from expectation bias, but I thought it an excellent wine that speaks well of place. Like I said: It's a wine that grew on me as I tasted it. Compelling to the degree I was drinking it, rather than spitting or dumping to free up the glass at a table with an insane number of (mostly) Rhys wines. It's a wine for drinking, not "tasting", so give it a chance to be what it is.
ITB - Useless lackey

"I've acquired enough wine to seduce an elephant." - Jennifer Robin

User avatar
Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7834
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 5:51 pm
Location: South OC

Re: Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Blanc de Blanc sparkler

#45 Post by Frank Murray III » December 10th, 2019, 6:04 pm

I feel like I am suffering from FOMO here. I tasted a test bottle in July at the winery, have had none since. I wish the wines would get shipped to So Cal so I can get one open and form my own impression.
My WOTY candidates for 2019:
2014 Marie Courtin Eloquence BdB Extra Brut
2017 Rivers-Marie PN Platt SC
2017 Kutch Pinot Noir SC PN
2009 Roederer Cristal Brut
2017 Carlisle Zin Mancini Ranch RRV

My best wines of 2018:
2017 Kutch Falstaff Sonoma Coast PN
2012 Marguet La Grande Ruelle Ambonnay

Kindness matters.

Jud Reis
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1519
Joined: February 8th, 2009, 10:50 am
Location: North Shore Mass.

Re: Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Blanc de Blanc sparkler

#46 Post by Jud Reis » December 10th, 2019, 6:38 pm

I was another person who was underwhelmed. Nothing wrong with it, but a little more simple and sweet than I would have expected. I think it is particularly hard for a new world sparkling wine, as the full sensory experience of champagne is so hard wired in my head that it is hard for me to appreciate a different expression without comparing it to champagne. I don’t expect California still wines to taste like their French equivalents, but can’t help it with champagne.

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”