Wine Library Pass- Game Changer

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#101 Post by mattcitrang » June 3rd, 2015, 3:05 pm

Arv R wrote:Another goofy thing I like about WL - I reuse their boxes instead of racks. They are the toughest / strongest ones I've seen.
Are you referring to the cardboard shippers?

Arv R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#102 Post by Arv R » June 3rd, 2015, 3:23 pm

Yes. These could be used as the foundation stones for my long dreamed about "Four" Gorges Dam.

If we had water out here of course.
R_@_0

Chris Tuttle
GCC Member
GCC Member

#103 Post by Chris Tuttle » June 3rd, 2015, 4:07 pm

Taylor Broussard wrote:Hopefully this fall, the inventory will have had its makeover. I purchased the pass during the Berserkerday offer but have yet to use it. Given the long trek from New Jersey to California it will be a few months before it's safe to ship with 4-5 day ground shipments.

Ian, as far as specific feedback, it really just comes down to a selection which seems pretty sparse outside of Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. There's a handful of Chinon (5), a few Bandol reds (3), a couple bottles of Gigondas and a couple bottles of Cornas. I realize judging by more esoteric regions is a tough standard, but hey, there's more Jura and Corsican wine than any of these.
My hope as well. I used to find many more things there than I do now.

Pat Burton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#104 Post by Pat Burton » June 3rd, 2015, 6:57 pm

kylemittskus wrote:
NicholasP wrote:I have placed a few orders from WL, and have always been happy with the transactions (absent one shipping delay due to a system glitch on their end). That being said, there have been a few times where I have ordered from a different vendor (even paying slightly more in some cases) because they say they will only hold shipping for up to three months. If I'm ordering in May-June here in Florida, that means that they will still be shipping in August-September here in Florida (still 90+ degree heat most days), which is a no-go for me.

I'll keep an eye out for the WL pass offer next Berserker Day though - that could prove useful.
They have always held my orders for longer than the 3 months stated when I have asked them to do so. YMMV but certainly worth a try. [cheers.gif]
+1
CT - Prof B

NicholasP

#105 Post by NicholasP » June 3rd, 2015, 8:18 pm

Pat Burton wrote:
kylemittskus wrote:
NicholasP wrote:I have placed a few orders from WL, and have always been happy with the transactions (absent one shipping delay due to a system glitch on their end). That being said, there have been a few times where I have ordered from a different vendor (even paying slightly more in some cases) because they say they will only hold shipping for up to three months. If I'm ordering in May-June here in Florida, that means that they will still be shipping in August-September here in Florida (still 90+ degree heat most days), which is a no-go for me.

I'll keep an eye out for the WL pass offer next Berserker Day though - that could prove useful.
They have always held my orders for longer than the 3 months stated when I have asked them to do so. YMMV but certainly worth a try. [cheers.gif]
+1
Very good to know - thanks Kyle and Pat. Lesson learned - it can never hurt to ask. I'll try it on my next order.
@nicholaspopp
CT: SubRosaEtVinum

Ian Dorin

#106 Post by Ian Dorin » June 4th, 2015, 5:30 am

We do offer holds throughout warm weather. Just select a ship date in November, and ask for the order to be held until you authorize shipping in the notes field. We are good about that.
Chris Tuttle wrote:
Taylor Broussard wrote:Hopefully this fall, the inventory will have had its makeover. I purchased the pass during the Berserkerday offer but have yet to use it. Given the long trek from New Jersey to California it will be a few months before it's safe to ship with 4-5 day ground shipments.

Ian, as far as specific feedback, it really just comes down to a selection which seems pretty sparse outside of Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. There's a handful of Chinon (5), a few Bandol reds (3), a couple bottles of Gigondas and a couple bottles of Cornas. I realize judging by more esoteric regions is a tough standard, but hey, there's more Jura and Corsican wine than any of these.
My hope as well. I used to find many more things there than I do now.
This is the kind of feedback we need! I'm definitely trying to make sure we cover our bases better.

On another note aside from Chinon, Saumur has been a hot category, so if you are looking for good Loire CF- talk to me about what we have there too!

I'm also trying to address Sicily as fast as possible too.
ITB

“I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted.” -WC Fields

Zachy's

Ian Dorin

#107 Post by Ian Dorin » June 4th, 2015, 5:34 am

Also- if you get a note that something is missing from your order when you placed it, and it showed on the site as available at the time, PLEASE let me know!
ITB

“I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted.” -WC Fields

Zachy's

mike pobega

#108 Post by mike pobega » June 4th, 2015, 6:09 am

ok, some feedback.
Even though the recent situation was rectified quickly by you, Ian, when internet orders are placed they should be pulled as quick as possible/faster than they might be pulled now. I placed an order, watched it as 'still in inventory' for a day or two and then wham, 'we are trying to fulfill your order'. In my own mind I am thinking if someone walks into the store and grabs the last 6 bottles of something I have on order from a day or two previous, I will be dissapointed with that message. I could be wrong, and apologize if I am in advance. A tighter real-time inventory might take some extra work.
Other than that, rock on! :)

R I C H M

#109 Post by R I C H M » June 4th, 2015, 6:47 am

Although I look forward to even better inventory in the fall, I cannot say enough good things about WL.

Their prices are even better than Costco here in CT and their service is superb.

I would be interested to hear about "all the other great sources" out there. Trust me, I have been searching but have been unable to find any.
M@nzo

Chris Tuttle
GCC Member
GCC Member

#110 Post by Chris Tuttle » June 4th, 2015, 7:02 am

Hey Ian, what is the rule for whether a wine qualifies for L-PASS? It doesn't appear to be by price. Myriad $10 bottles are L-PASS but not a 2008 Huet I was looking at nor a 2012 Vieux Telegraph.

NicholasP

#111 Post by NicholasP » June 4th, 2015, 7:09 am

Ian Dorin wrote: We do offer holds throughout warm weather. Just select a ship date in November, and ask for the order to be held until you authorize shipping in the notes field. We are good about that.
Just got an email back from Kasey that they have put a shipping hold on my two pending orders until I authorize shipment when the weather cools off. That is perfect - though I certainly didn't need an excuse to buy even more wine! [basic-smile.gif]
@nicholaspopp
CT: SubRosaEtVinum

Arv R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#112 Post by Arv R » June 4th, 2015, 8:54 am

mike pobega wrote:ok, some feedback.
Even though the recent situation was rectified quickly by you, Ian, when internet orders are placed they should be pulled as quick as possible/faster than they might be pulled now. I placed an order, watched it as 'still in inventory' for a day or two and then wham, 'we are trying to fulfill your order'. In my own mind I am thinking if someone walks into the store and grabs the last 6 bottles of something I have on order from a day or two previous, I will be dissapointed with that message. I could be wrong, and apologize if I am in advance. A tighter real-time inventory might take some extra work.
Other than that, rock on! :)
I've had that happen too....but a high percentage of the time they are able to eventually restock it.

That being said I'm not getting anything rare/small production/New World from them so maybe its easier for me.

I was noticing the other day - very large spectrum of cava to choose from.
R_@_0

mmarcellus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#113 Post by mmarcellus » June 5th, 2015, 11:37 am

The algorithm for which wines are eligible for the pass gets mysteriouser. A couple days ago, I viewed a wine I was interested in (Raventos), but it wasn't eligible for the pass so I didn't buy. The next day I got an e-mail from Wine Library noting my interest in the wine and offering it to me with free shipping. But it's still not eligible for the pass.

If I had just viewed that wine in a list of wines, WL would have had no way of knowing of my interest, I wouldn't have gotten the free shipping offer, and I wouldn't have bought it. I'm not sure what the logic is of keeping wines off the pass when they're available for free shipping through other offers. I'm not complaining (their bat, their ball, and the pass is working well for me) but I'm puzzled.
M @ r k

John O'
GCC Member
GCC Member

#114 Post by John O' » June 5th, 2015, 4:20 pm

they have 2010 heitz cab (see other thread) for a good price. Alas, not Library pass eligible.
O Sullivan

Peter Shurman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#115 Post by Peter Shurman » June 7th, 2015, 10:43 am

between the pass and emails offering other FS codes, this wino is one happy sipper ... [cheers.gif]
keeping those ITB in business

Frank Smith

#116 Post by Frank Smith » November 23rd, 2017, 10:09 am

Like others in this old thread, I got the WL Pass for $25 on Berserker Day 2015, but after it expired I kind of forgot about it until recently when I saw a link for it on the WL website. I see that it's up to $100 now, which might still be worth it for me, but before I consider that, has anyone seen any recent coupon codes for it? I don't think there's been a Berserker Day special for it since then, has there?

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#117 Post by Neal.Mollen » November 23rd, 2017, 10:21 am

I bought it at $25 way back when and it was a waste. Never saw anything I wanted that was eligible.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

mmarcellus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#118 Post by mmarcellus » November 23rd, 2017, 11:00 am

Frank Smith wrote:Like others in this old thread, I got the WL Pass for $25 on Berserker Day 2015, but after it expired I kind of forgot about it until recently when I saw a link for it on the WL website. I see that it's up to $100 now, which might still be worth it for me, but before I consider that, has anyone seen any recent coupon codes for it? I don't think there's been a Berserker Day special for it since then, has there?
All in all, I think I did okay for my $25, especially when you consider I could order only a couple bottles and not get hosed for shipping. No need to consolidate orders or add a couple bottles to round out a case and bring the per bottle cost down. $100 does seem high to me unless you order regularly from them and like their inventory. I did find their eligible items were getting less interesting over time - I ordered a lot more at the beginning of the year than the end of the year.

One other thing: If you're not ordering from them already, and you don't live in NJ, make sure that they still ship to your state. I know they've stopped shipping to NY. And the way things are these days, even if they ship to you today that could change tomorrow.
M @ r k

Frank Smith

#119 Post by Frank Smith » November 23rd, 2017, 7:22 pm

mmarcellus wrote:
Frank Smith wrote:Like others in this old thread, I got the WL Pass for $25 on Berserker Day 2015, but after it expired I kind of forgot about it until recently when I saw a link for it on the WL website. I see that it's up to $100 now, which might still be worth it for me, but before I consider that, has anyone seen any recent coupon codes for it? I don't think there's been a Berserker Day special for it since then, has there?
All in all, I think I did okay for my $25, especially when you consider I could order only a couple bottles and not get hosed for shipping. No need to consolidate orders or add a couple bottles to round out a case and bring the per bottle cost down. $100 does seem high to me unless you order regularly from them and like their inventory. I did find their eligible items were getting less interesting over time - I ordered a lot more at the beginning of the year than the end of the year.

One other thing: If you're not ordering from them already, and you don't live in NJ, make sure that they still ship to your state. I know they've stopped shipping to NY. And the way things are these days, even if they ship to you today that could change tomorrow.
Checking CellarTracker, I average about 3 - 4 cases a year from them, so $100 isn't really worth it (unless I started to order more odd bottles here and there in addition). I guess I'll pass on it unless I happen to run across a deal on it for $50 or less.

mike pobega

#120 Post by mike pobega » November 24th, 2017, 3:03 am

I used it quite a lot while Brandon was around. Not so much after and then not at all since NY became a problem to ship to. Two years total. Wine Library seen my last dollar about 18 months ago. Unfortunate as I liked them.

AdamK

#121 Post by AdamK » November 24th, 2017, 4:23 am

I agree. Most wines I want to purchase aren't on the "pass". Do not see much value in this at $100.
Ad@m K@arpm@n

scott davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#122 Post by scott davis » November 24th, 2017, 7:17 am

Frank Smith wrote: Checking CellarTracker, I average about 3 - 4 cases a year from them, so $100 isn't really worth it (unless I started to order more odd bottles here and there in addition). I guess I'll pass on it unless I happen to run across a deal on it for $50 or less.
Coincidentally, I was just looking at this as well.

Frank, $100 seems like a pretty good deal to have 3-4 cases of wine shipped from New Jersey to Kansas City. Are the wines you normally buy not eligible for the pass?
CT #10,000

Frank Smith

#123 Post by Frank Smith » November 24th, 2017, 9:35 am

scott davis wrote:
Frank Smith wrote: Checking CellarTracker, I average about 3 - 4 cases a year from them, so $100 isn't really worth it (unless I started to order more odd bottles here and there in addition). I guess I'll pass on it unless I happen to run across a deal on it for $50 or less.

Frank, $100 seems like a pretty good deal to have 3-4 cases of wine shipped from New Jersey to Kansas City. Are the wines you normally buy not eligible for the pass?
Hi Scott. Their shipping for a case is very reasonable ($31), so at $100 it doesn't start being a good deal until 4 cases, which kind of puts it on the edge for me. Of course that's assuming full case orders (which is typical for me). It obviously becomes a better deal for someone who typically orders fewer bottles at a time, but around the same number of bottles overall.

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#124 Post by Michae1 P0wers » November 24th, 2017, 9:56 am

I feel like I paid $50 last year, but I could be mistaken. I do really like to be able to grab four or five bottles of wine at a time without ending up paying seven dollars a bottle shipping. I like to be able to grab just a few more bottles of something I enjoyed without having to fill out an entire case to maximize shipping efficiency.

scott davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#125 Post by scott davis » November 24th, 2017, 4:17 pm

Frank Smith wrote:
scott davis wrote:

Hi Scott. Their shipping for a case is very reasonable ($31), so at $100 it doesn't start being a good deal until 4 cases, which kind of puts it on the edge for me. Of course that's assuming full case orders (which is typical for me). It obviously becomes a better deal for someone who typically orders fewer bottles at a time, but around the same number of bottles overall.
Hi Frank - makes sense. I’ve never bought a case from WL but $31 shipping is certainly reasonable. I see why you would be on the bubble.

I had the $25 pass a couple years ago and got very good use buying 2-4 bottles here and there. I’d buy it again at $25, and probably at $50, but not at $100.
CT #10,000

scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#126 Post by scamhi » November 26th, 2017, 6:27 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:I bought it at $25 way back when and it was a waste. Never saw anything I wanted that was eligible.
me too. didn't purchase anything with my free ship pass.
S u z a n n e C a m h i
instagram: suz_cam

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#127 Post by Scott Brunson » November 26th, 2017, 7:07 am

scamhi wrote:
Neal.Mollen wrote:I bought it at $25 way back when and it was a waste. Never saw anything I wanted that was eligible.
me too. didn't purchase anything with my free ship pass.
Ditto
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member

Wine Library Pass- Sale - Game Changer

#128 Post by mattcitrang » November 7th, 2018, 6:47 am

35th Anniversary Sale - WL Library Pass for 1 yr free shipping on sale $35.

https://winelibrary.com/library-pass

Brandon J.
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Wine Library Pass- Game Changer

#129 Post by Brandon J. » November 7th, 2018, 7:19 am

That seems like a no-brainer right? Am I missing something??
John sen

Brent C l a y t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#130 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » November 7th, 2018, 7:26 am

Brandon,

Where do you live?

This thread was started in 2015. Not sure what WL is up to these days with shipping but it's getting tougher to ship to many states from a retailer, so it might not be worth it.
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#131 Post by mattcitrang » November 7th, 2018, 7:28 am

Brent C l a y t o n wrote:
November 7th, 2018, 7:26 am
Brandon,

Where do you live?

This thread was started in 2015. Not sure what WL is up to these days with shipping but it's getting tougher to ship to many states from a retailer, so it might not be worth it.
Yes, definitely look into shipping to your area before purchasing.

julianseersmartin

#132 Post by julianseersmartin » November 7th, 2018, 7:58 am

Thanks for the heads up. Already purchased to get some Produttori Langhe Nebbiolo at a great price so well worth it.

Brandon J.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#133 Post by Brandon J. » November 7th, 2018, 8:00 am

mattcitrang wrote:
November 7th, 2018, 7:28 am
Brent C l a y t o n wrote:
November 7th, 2018, 7:26 am
Brandon,

Where do you live?

Yes, definitely look into shipping to your area before purchasing.
I'm in Oregon so there's rarely any issue shipping here (thank God!)
John sen

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#134 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » November 7th, 2018, 9:14 am

It’s super worth it. I’ve saved hundreds on shipping with it and sometimes I’ll just buy one bottle at a time.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#135 Post by Neal.Mollen » November 7th, 2018, 9:55 am

It was of no value to me back then. Maybe their product mix has changed, or the rules have, but nothing I wanted was eligible.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#136 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » November 7th, 2018, 10:56 am

I’ve bought a bunch of Bdx, burg and Rhônes for low cost once you take shipping and tax out of the equation. 2015 VT is like $60 a btl shipped, which I think is a pretty great deal.

R Roberts

Re: Wine Library Pass- Sale - Game Changer

#137 Post by R Roberts » November 7th, 2018, 5:08 pm

mattcitrang wrote:
November 7th, 2018, 6:47 am

Thanks for the heads up.
R.ama

mike pobega

#138 Post by mike pobega » November 8th, 2018, 2:17 am

If they are still not shipping across the river, I'm still not buying.
Had it for a few years and abused the crap out of it.....

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#139 Post by Michae1 P0wers » November 8th, 2018, 5:41 am

mattcitrang wrote:

Thanks for the heads up. At $100 I was no longer interested, but at $35 a case and it pays for itself, and the ability to buy 3-6 bottles at a time is well worth it.

In the past I got a lot of value out of this. A lot of 2015 Donnhoff at $15 delivered, 2014 Thivin at $15.50 delivered, Produttori at under $25 delivered, etc. That pricing was often a one-off and not repeated, but there are definitely deals from time to time.

mike pobega

#140 Post by mike pobega » November 8th, 2018, 6:09 am

mike pobega wrote:
November 8th, 2018, 2:17 am
If they are still not shipping across the river, I'm still not buying.
Had it for a few years and abused the crap out of it.....
So they do and I did......ready to abuse. [snort.gif]

Alan Newman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#141 Post by Alan Newman » November 8th, 2018, 6:38 am

mattcitrang wrote:

Looks like that deal expired- shows as $99 for me.

mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#142 Post by mattcitrang » November 8th, 2018, 6:48 am

Alan Newman wrote:
November 8th, 2018, 6:38 am
mattcitrang wrote:

I'm pretty sure it was for 1 day only.

mike pobega

#143 Post by mike pobega » November 8th, 2018, 7:09 am

Just got mine about an hour ago

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#144 Post by Michae1 P0wers » November 8th, 2018, 7:25 am

Me too.

mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#145 Post by mattcitrang » November 8th, 2018, 7:28 am

Alan Newman wrote:
mattcitrang wrote:

Did you try calling them?

Brandon J.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#146 Post by Brandon J. » November 8th, 2018, 8:27 am

I opted in, couldn't pass that up. If folks see any deals please post! I picked up a few rieslings and Austrian items they had.
John sen

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#147 Post by Robert M yers » November 9th, 2018, 10:08 am

Incredible service from them setting me up with the pass after the link expired. If you still want in I’d contact them. I’m a sucker for trying new daily drinker type wines, so this will let me buy lots of stuff I can’t get locally but often doesn’t make a lot of sense to ship either.

Nick T.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#148 Post by Nick T. » November 9th, 2018, 11:25 am

Brandon J. wrote:
November 8th, 2018, 8:27 am
I opted in, couldn't pass that up. If folks see any deals please post! I picked up a few rieslings and Austrian items they had.
2011 Felsina Rancia Riservas 375's @$17.98

https://winelibrary.com/wines/sangioves ... rva-108869
T=t0um@n!os

mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#149 Post by mattcitrang » November 9th, 2018, 12:32 pm

Empire wine ship free on 4+ @$17.95

felsina chianti classico-rancia riserva 2011-375ml

https://www.empirewine.com/wine/felsina ... ml-i30593/

Alan Newman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#150 Post by Alan Newman » November 9th, 2018, 2:15 pm

mattcitrang wrote:
November 8th, 2018, 7:28 am
Alan Newman wrote:
mattcitrang wrote:

Did you try calling them?
Sent an email to orders@winelibrary.com, and got the $35 pass. Easy-peasy.

Return to “Wine Talk”