Allendale Wine Shoppe in NJ

Anyone have any experience with this retailer?

Anyone? They’ve got some BDX I want but concerned about provenance.

I had a bad experience with them, although it had nothing to do with provenance. Happy to PM you, but I won’t be purchasing from them again.

Thanks for the info, Jay!

Anyone else? I’ve thought of buying from Allendale a couple times based on their inventory, but have never done business with them.

I just bought some stuff from them. No complaints.

As a nearly life-long resident of Allendale, I can say that this wine shop is pretty mediocre.
Don’t buy anything older than the current vintage of any wine. I’ve bought at least two bottles of decent wine from decent producers of vintages a year or two older than the current vintage and had to drain pour/return them. They did give me a credit though.

Don’t expect a great selection and they have no knowledge of wine.

wow, this might be the single worst thing I’ve ever seen anyone say about a retail wine shop! It would take effort to ruin good wine within a year of vintage.

Hope you’re wrong as I bought a couple of bottles of recent but not current vintage from them several years ago for aging, including some for my son’s birth year. I guess I should try one.

Nothing seemed sketchy about them on the web and the orders were trouble-free but we’ll see I guess, I haven’t tried the wines yet (long agers)

I’d highly advise taking a trip to Beekman Liquors in Glen Rock if you want older vintages from Napa

Bump
Just picked up a case of produttori here online (figured it’s recent so should be fine).
The next day I get a fraud alert on my credit card, someone trying to use it to buy cel phones.
Coincidence, maybe, but smells rotten.

Edit: card breach likely unrelated to them.

Bought from them with no problem, including some high end BDX.

I bought some 05 and 10 rauzan and GPL a couple of years ago. Bottles were good and no issues but no recent experience

I went there once last year. They had a few interesting things at good prices (some '13 Barolo and '16 Chianti), but it was mostly plonk and it’s kind of grungy and cramped. Not a high-class operation. Basically, a corner liquor store with a few good things you wouldn’t expect.

Ethan, sorry about what happened. Larchmont is only a buck more per bottle on this, shipping is lower than what many places charge, and they seem like a good shop. Just ordered a 6 pack from them.

I’ve only dealt with them once about a year ago, buying a mixed case of 2015 Cigliuti Barbera, 2016 Il Poggione Rosso and 2016 Vajra Nebbiolo. The wines were/are fine, the price points very good, their shipping rates were reasonable and my CC wasn’t compromised.

[cheers.gif]

Good experience buying Uncle Val’s gin from them online, but never wine. Obviously I don’t have the same concerns regarding storage and handling. I did think it was interesting (if that’s the right word) that the shipment appeared to be hand packed and came addressed from a person, rather than from Allendale. I was ALSO surprised that they willingly shipped spirits to my county in Maryland, which is notoriously strict. I figured DC would have been my only option.