Decanting Barolo?

Generally speaking, we’ve established that decanting young Barolo may not be a good idea. Decanting old Barolo, even for extended periods of time, may be a very good idea. So the question becomes what is the line of demarcation between young and old. Obviously this will vary depending on the wine and vintage. As an example, let’s use the 1996 Sandrone Le Vigne. Decant or not to decant, that is the question.

Huh? Based on what? Got a mag of 2008 Giacosa Asili happily humming along. Should be ready for dinner tomorrow…

Decant new paradigm wines only.

I thought it was that the new paradigm wines were ready RIGHT NOW.

[cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]

Based on the tsunami of tannins that Mr. Burton and Mr. Klapp caution may occur when young Barolo receives extended air time.

That new paradigm is so yesterday. This is today’s new paradigm.

Will report back tomorrow with some empirical observations. I always decant my Barolo. The older ones on Klapp’s advice (with good success I might add). The younger ones for science.

Is this being consumed for science?

Apologies! With so many paradigms it’s very hard to keep track.

Of course!

Well, good. Because you know that Cru Barolo cannot be enjoyed young.

That’s fine, since it’s a Barbaresco :slight_smile:

From my experience, Giacosa wines always benefit from air, regardless of age. My suggestion of avoiding air for young barolo has been true for me for the vast majority of young barolo I’ve tried.

Weird.

I’ve yet to meet a Barolo that didn’t benefit from aeration.

I haven’t had this wine. Given the vintage and producer, I see no reason to open this specific wine unless it is purely to ‘check in’ or ‘for science.’ If I were to open a top tier Barolo in the 15-20 year range, I’d taste at the outset and taste throughout an epic decant (24-48 hours). Then I’d at least know I tasted the bottle at its maximum, though more age would be my preference. In the case of barolo decanting, I’d agree with Mr. Klapp that it is foolish to adhere to any specific regimen and instead listen to the bottle.

Really? Open a 2005 and taste a glass upon opening, then a glass at four hours (other than giacosa…)

Would you like to offer some specific examples to counter my point?

Why would young Giacosa be different than any other young Cru Barolo?

Pat - do you think you could decant 1/2 bottle and then re-cork the other half (or vacu-vin) so they could be tried side by side after 4 hours (blind would be best)?