Surprising list of wines at retail in Chicago, good or bad ?

Just browsing around a Binnys in Chicago today and saw multiple wines that surprised my a bit and a few a lot

Loads of Herman Story, all of it discounted some heavily, 2012 Grenache $45 down to $30
Tablas Creek
Outpost
Carlisle

Ones that were a bit more surprising

Ledge
Alban
Multiple Bedrocks, including Heritage and the Evenghelio discounted

Really Surprising at retail

Booker

So it seems that a lot of previously list only wines are starting to creep out into retail

Whats the opinion of this trend, a good thing or a bad thing ?

I have seen many of the labels you reference quite frequently at retail in SF over the past couple of years. I think that there are plenty of Carlisle SC Zin, Bedrock Evenghelo, Alban Patrina to go around, and it isn’t exactly a new trend.

Alex

Its one thing to see them in SF, its another to see them in the Midwest. I have never seen Bedrock, Alban or Booker at retail here only in the stores that sell older wines like Flickinger, TCWC. HDH etc

I’m confused. Why would it be bad to see these? BTW see Booker and some Bedrock frequently in the MW, though I’m not a buyer.

Many domestic producers sell through distribution or to restaurants as a function of their marketing. Sometimes these are their allocated wines, sometimes they are a wine bottled primarily for retail/restaurant. Booker is selling a particular bottling to distribution that isn’t sold through their tasting room or mailing list I believe.

It was Remnant which is a mailing list wine

I picked up 2006 Carlisle Syrahs and Outpost Zins from Binnys back in the day. So it’s not a totally new phenomenon.

A lot of retailers get allocations of some popular mailing list wines and then pass them through to retail customers. Easy to find Bedrock, Carlisle, Copain, etc. Not always the “prized” cuvees, but some really decent stuff nonetheless. Options for a consumer are a good thing.

Tablas Creek has been widely available for years btw. Even PA has a ton of it.

I dont think this is a new trend, at least not on the east coast . . . bought my first Carlisle at wine library more than 10 years ago, and often see Carlisle, Bedrock, Tablas Creek and others you mentioned at retail here in NJ.

Turley is similarly available locally. But like all of the above (at least Carlisle and Bedrock), the most highly allocated stuff is not on the shelves.

Which is reason enough to be on some lists.

Despite what some wineries may think, retail presence can be very helpful. The truth is, that 3,200 mile trip from Napa to NYC loses quite a bit. There are incredibly smart wine people who don’t know Carlise; it happens. (this is not just Carlisle either, there is an endless supply of interchangeable names that can go there).

I get that discounting, and low ball pricing is an issue that they don’t want to worry about, but that’s an issue with their distributor. Wines should not be allocated as “leverage” for other business, but to accounts that know how to sell the wine. Novel concept, eh?

Alan,

I bought 2008 Booker Vertigo, 2008 Herman Story Nuts & Bolts, and 2007 Tablas Creek Espirit de Beaucastel at Binny’s in 2010.

You see Tablas up here, but none of the others.

Can it be a trend if it’s how things have been for a while?

I’ve been selling some (not all) of the labels referenced for more than a couple of years now. Not that new a phenomenon.

One that surprised me that started showing up at Binnys a couple years ago is Abreu, even Thorevilos…don’t think it sells all that quickly at their pricing but was surprised that it gets out into distribution in Chicago enough to get on the shelf at a couple stores. I think I’ve seen others at the high end like Aubert, Colgin, Schrader and others out on the shelf in their cellar rooms.

Though not common, I have seen or purchased Bedrock, Booker, Turley and Epoch off the shelf in Denver.

$30 for Story is a great deal; below list prices even. I’d jump on those, even though I’m on the list and always buy direct.

Bedrock Heritages, too, depending on the price point, as those are always my favorite Bedrocks.

Be nice to see even MORE “mailing lists” wines at retail than currently is the case. I think it broadens exposure to more people, not simply the cognoscenti, and also helps those of us who merely want to buy a single bottle of a wine instead of beholden to purchasing massive quantities of the same thing.