Quite a story - Hill Wine

Apologies if this has been mentioned already, sort of hard to search for “Hill”

Very timely reading that article. Just saw Invino selling the 2011 Napa Cab for $29.99

Really didn’t know what to make of it and still don’t…$30 is a good deal for a prmium cab. Wasn’t buying much 2011, but might order a couple just to try it out.

You beat Ron Kramer by an hour. His thread could be merged with yours. Quite a story is an understatement.

While I would spend $100’s on a bottle of wine if I had the funds, I have always felt I drink pretty darn well at under $50 per. But then again, I don’t drink very much Napa.

Can you find that thread? I can’t.

I just read the story. It brought to mind an Alexander Valley producer who told me in 2008 that he sold fruit to a well-known Napa producer who sold it as a Napa wine. Now, I suppose that could have been just 10% or 15% of the total – or whatever is allowed. But it made me wonder.

This guy sounds like your basic con man, what with his prior guilty plea to two counts of felony insurance fraud. It was a bit surprising the Times gave it so much space.

Hard to find since it doesn’t contain the word “Hill”!

Just happened to remember it because I saw the invino offering. Looks like they bought a boatload at $5/btl.

There are things you see that make you wonder, “Is anybody in authority paying attention?” Then are those times you wonder how a certain winery can produce more high end Napa Cab than there are grapes for in Napa unless they are getting 10 tons per acre from 50 percent of the vineyards in Napa And all vineyards in Napa Cab.

It’s not clear from the article or the multiple threads on this - Is the current invino offer from the stolen Del Dotto fruit? If so, that’s kind of messed up.

Thanks, Bob. Clean up in Hill threads needed. Mods are busy getting ready for Berserker Day VI!

I bought some of these from Invino a while back. I certainly will buy no more, and I’m contemplating requesting authorization to make a return.

P Hickner

they’re too busy making sure that wineries don’t donate wine to charity auctions and that people who work in tasting rooms don’t also work in bars or restaurants. You know - the important stuff.

This kind of thing is hard to police, though. As this case shows, you have to talk to the truck drivers and vineyard managers as well as verify the purchase records. I’m not sure any of us would want our friendly feds being that intrusive in the absence of a report of fraud.

Only the stupid (and/or lazy/desperate) ones get caught. I am sure it happens a lot more than anybody realizes - like any business there are all levels of integrity/honesty/morals/doing the right thing involved. I don’t mean this in a negative way towards winemakers in general but it is human nature unfortunately. The bottom line is if it tastes good people will buy…

I’m no Mona Lisa Vito, but Sounds like what happens with air pressure levels in footballs

Read the Times article . Much to think about. This was not just an article about the " trials and tribulations " of Jeff Hill but an article about a California region that has been blessed with good fortune deserved or not.