Chicago <3 Prüm

THE PRÜM DINNER - Chicago, IL (1/23/2015)

A group of riesling enthusiasts here in Chicago got together at the fantastic neighbourhood Asian place The Bento Box for a casual dinner. Many thanks to sennma for organizing, and the great staff at The Bento Box. Each bottle of Joh. Jos. Prüm is a special wine, but please read the notes in context with the wines they were flighted against.
A few light starters

• 2010 Joh. Jos. Prüm Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    #20-11, 8.5% abv. Lime-inflected nose, with a very acidic and mineral palate. Fresh and light, but still showing a fair bit of life. Super fresh and light, great to start off. I could see even this humble bottle aging for a good 5-10 years. (88 pts.)
  • 2007 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    #19-08, 9% abv. Very floral, with a bit of the funk that I’ve always associated with the vineyard. Good freshness, but a smidgen light on the acidity. The funk doesn’t play too nicely with the freshness though, so there is something definitely a bit weird with this bottle. (88 pts.)
  • 2012 Joh. Jos. Prüm Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    #02-14. 2012s still have it going on, though I’d definitely agree they are on the cusp of all shutting down. The nose on this was extremely aromatic, with a strong floral component. The palate showed good balance between the slatey mineral quality, racy acidity, and ripe peaches. (90 pts.)

The “humble” Spätlese

• 2012 Joh. Jos. Prüm Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    #03-14, 9% abv. This is definitely kith and kin of the Kabinett that I had previously. The difference here is that the fruit elements of the Kabinett are dialed up in comparison to everything else, though the acidity and minerality is still there. There’s a slight touch of effervescence on this bottle, but that’ll go away with time. (93 pts.)
  • 2010 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    #22-11, 8.5% abv. If there was one wine that really didn’t show that well tonight, this would be it. Lovely spice notes on the nose, but it’s the acidity that really sets this one apart in the flight. Despite the fresh acidic lift, there wasn’t much else in this bottle right now. Let them sleep; they’ll be killer in a decade (or two!). (90 pts.)
  • 2006 Joh. Jos. Prüm Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    #11-07, 9% abv. This bottle definitely had the most advanced character out of the three in the flight. Lots of honey and spice, and maybe some ripe stone fruit as well. The palate definitely displays a lot of botrytis influence, but in the context of the wines so far, this was lacking a bit of acidity and freshness. (90 pts.)

“Bigger” Spätlese

• 1989 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese Auction - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    #23-90, 8% abv. Still young, but this gives a very good glimpse as to what is in store for its younger siblings. There’s definitely more bottle funk, which I should have decanted out. A little oily in texture as well. The nose is, interestingly, quite smoky. The perception of sweetness on this bottle was the least – this came off the driest wine of the whole evening, perhaps. Nonetheless, there was a lot of depth in the palate, though it was more from the secondary characteristics (petrol and slate) than the fruit, which, for the part, has faded. (93 pts.)
  • 2003 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese Auction - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    #22-04, 7.5% abv. One of the big takeaways from this evening was that Prüm did exceedingly well in what one would consider “off” vintages. This had a bit of mustiness initially, which did blow off. A very ripe and rich bottle of Spätlese that could almost be called Auslese in another vintage. I did think this was lacking a bit of acidic zip, though the sheer intensity of the extract was fantastic. (90 pts.)
  • 2001 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    #25-02, 7.5% abv. Super young wine. Really, it’d be hard to peg this for an 2001 based on the age, though you might be able to tell based on the concentration. This is just jam-packed with tons of fruit – I got a good dose of pineapple juice. Heaps of acid, of course. Awesome now, and likely will be for the foreseeable future. (93 pts.)

Siblings

• 2005 Joh. Jos. Prüm Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Auslese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    #13-06, 8% abv. I think this was the first wine of the evening where the famous Prüm sulphur reared its head, and only lightly at that. This was a particularly honeyed bottle of riesling, with a lot of floral tones. The palate was very sweet, but this bottling was much racier than the Goldkapsul that we had alongside. (93 pts.)
  • 2005 Joh. Jos. Prüm Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    #07-07, 7.5% abv. I’m not certain I have the right AP number on this bottle, though it could have been a late release. This is much, much sweeter than the regular bottling of the Auslese – for sure this is dessert wine in quality. I found this a bit softer as well. Super ripe and rich fruit. It’s really splitting hairs to have to choose between the regular bottling or this one. (93 pts.)

Siblings, part 2

• 2006 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    #11-07, 7.5% abv. This has an immense nose of botrytis spice. 2006 was already a botrytis year, and then add the GK selection on top of this, and you know how much botrytis we’re talking here. Honeyed, ripe, dense, and massive. But this comes off as a tad too sweet without the requisite acidity to make this into a legendary wine. (90 pts.)
  • 2007 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    #12-08, 7.5% abv. This had a much heavier floral component than the 2006 that we drank alongside. It’s incredible how different these siblings are. Very restrained and not showing very much at the moment. Definitely in a shut down phase, let these reemerge on the other side with the added complexity of secondary characteristics and they’ll be fantastic. (90 pts.)

A classical interlude

• 2004 Joh. Jos. Prüm Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Auslese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    #14-05, 7.5% abv. Lots of restraint and acidity on this bottle, definitely showing its classical roots. This was alternately spicy and funky, but it’s definitely the acidity and gentle sweetness that holds everything together. Drinking very well now, I think that the 2004s in general are now entering their second drinking window. (90 pts.)
  • 2008 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    #12-09, 7.5% abv. Super fresh and zesty, with lots of lovely fruit and floral character right now. The palate is fantastically airy and light, with almost no hint of botrytis at all. This is one of those green-laser-type rieslings with a generous amount of residual sugar. This was well-received all over the table, as it provided a much-needed break from the heavier botrytised wines that preceded it. (90 pts.)

Assorted Auslese to end the evening

• 2001 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    #28-02, 7.5% abv. Wow, what a stunner. This is such a pretty wine, with so much complexity all over the board – on the nose, on the palate, on the finish. A very strong floral component comes across on the nose, and that honeyed component finds its way on the palate, where it’s washed away by a laser-guided and precise stream of acidity. 2001 for the win again! (93 pts.)
  • 2003 Joh. Jos. Prüm Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Auslese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    #09-04, 8% abv. Again, the rule about buying good producers in bad vintages holds true. Intense concentration and ripeness with a giant pile of ripe stone fruit being the biggest feature. I did find this a bit light on the acidic cut, but keep in mind that I’m saying this in the context of other Prüm wines. This is a real big Auslese, which will definitely develop much more interesting characteristics as it ages. Now, time to backfill a bunch of this… (90 pts.)
  • 1996 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    #15-97, 8% abv. From half bottle. This is in an amazing spot right now, where the fresh fruit of its youth is still present but the secondary kerosene characteristics have just begun to emerge. Awesome balance of fruit, stone, acidity, sweetness. Everybody’s there and everyone’s playing nice with each other. No discernible botrytis influence, which I suppose sort of surprised me when I first tasted this bottle. My wine of the night. (95 pts.)
  • 2007 Joh. Jos. Prüm Bernkasteler Badstube Riesling Auslese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    #14-08, 7.5% abv. The Badstube does seem to lack a bit of the gravitas that the sundial and kingdom of heaven might possess. The nose on this was still very young and fresh, and the palate much lighter in character, featuring some tart fruit and a slightly chalky component. (90 pts.)
  • 1994 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    #01-06, 7.5% abv. This was a very, very light bottle of riesling, with a very interesting smoke component on the nose. So very different from all the other bottles tonight, this was so ethereal, like it was floating above everything else, and it made all the other wines seem heaving brooding beasts in comparison. Very delicate fruit on the palate, with a moderate amount of acid. (93 pts.)
  • 2002 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    #13-03, 7% abv. I can totally see this becoming like the 1994 that I had alongside. This is a gentle bottle of Auslese, with a good balance of everything. Not much power here, but it’s the gentleness and weightlessness that makes this a wine of interest. Give it the extra decade to develop more secondary tones. It’ll be a fun bottle then. (90 pts.)

Some takeaways: even in the “bad” years, producers like Prüm will find a way. It was especially surprising to see how different the GKAs were in 2006/2007, even though they are technically the “same wine.” Good producers will always work with the vintage and make something good, instead of forcing it into the same mold year after year.

Prüm needs age! The best bottles were the oldest ones. The 2001s are fantastic now, but still much too young.

I need to backfill 2003s.

“I will let them sleep, I will let them sleep, I will let them sleep.”

Thanks Adrian
Very interesting notes. I have and have tasted a great number of these wines
You think highly of Auslese from cool (and great IMO) years like 1994 and 1996, but you will buy more 2003. Why?

A great selection and great notes thanks Adrian! Coincidentally, tonight I’ve just been finishing a 2011 Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese (another wine with very good upside potential).

Best, Howard

Thanks,

I will have some 94 1994 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese. It seems ready to go now…

David

Nice. I buy '01 Prum whenever I can. I’m surprised you didn’t mention anything about petrol though.

Indeed I will. The older wines were pretty much unanimously the better ones tonight. Not because they were made better, but because they were, well, older. Super young riesling is very fun to drink, but it does go through a bit of an awkward phase. 01s are hugely enjoyable now, but are built to last. 03s will gain a lot of interest with some more secondary characteristics. 04s and 05s are great now.

They are entirely different beasts. I found out from tasting through this lineup was how different the wines were in different vintages. There’s a time and place for when I want a super-rich bottle of riesling and a different time and place for the lighter style. I’m starting to think it’s narrow-minded to just buy a few vintages and switch Prädikats when I want a different style…

I can’t say the petrol was prevalent. I got some of the petrol/kerosene on the older bottles (89 especially, and the 94 was more smoky than petrol), but on the younger ones? Not really…

09 GH Kab tonight, quite closed.

This was a really fun dinner and a great education across the Prum lineup. Also worth highlighting the great food at Bento Box which works so well with these wines.

My thoughts/observations:

• 2012 is a great vintage for Prum, drinking well now and will age beautifully.
  • wasn’t crazy about the 2005’s, not sure these have the stuff to go the distance.
  • the 1996 WS Auslese GKA was wine of the night, great lesson on how these wines show with some age, great balance and still tastes fresh.
  • the 2001 WS Auslese was close on its heels, with time I think this will be the better wine but not on this night.
  • the 2010 estate Kabinett is a great value, really enjoyed this in the opening flight.

My favorite food matching was the 2003 WS Spat (Auction) with the spicy fried chicken, sticky rice and papaya salad. Super tasty.

Not a bad wine in the group…really just about personal preferences on style!

I’d echo Mark and Adrian, the oldest bottles did perform best, including the '89 WS spatlese, 94 + 96 WS Auslese. The 01s were wonderful too, but babies. If you have them, do bury them - they will be so much more rewarding after another decade.

I did find a fair amount of petrol over the course of the evening, but always in a good, savory way that made the older wines more interesting than the sheer pleasure we got from the younger ones. Also, i thought the 10s instantly recognizable for their acid, but it brought a balance to the sugar that was beneficial.

We opened 21 bottles and not a single corked bottle either which was a delight.

Great set of wines and interesting notes.

A few observations:

1. 2005 has more than enough to go the distance. It is entirely likely that the '05s were still shut down versus what they will be in 2020 or later. Now they are not exactly racy, but that will resolve somewhat in time as well, as the sugar backs off, bringing more focus to the acidity.

2. 2006 is a heavy botrytis year, as well as very high in ripeness, so the acidity that is there (and there is plenty) is still very much obscured by the sheer scale of the wines. The 2006s are the biggest Prum wines in terms of weight that I have had in 20 years of drinking the wines. Give these wines lots of time, and they will shine.

3. 2012 is indeed an amazing year for Prum. It actually reminds me very much of 2001.

4. 2003 is another vintage that needs lots of time, though it’s not a high botrytis year, so the wines will show very differently from 2006 at full maturity.

5. 2002 and 2004 are classical, and in a way outliers from a decade+ of high ripeness/high richness.

IMHO. :slight_smile:

Great notes, thanks.

A much appreciated effort.

Prum is my fave German producer, the good wines have such lovely texture and mouthfeel…

The good wines?

Your implication is that Prum makes wines that are not good.

Hmm, lol, my bad.

Yeah, no bad wines…just some that have something extra over pretty much everything else I have tasted…

It doesn’t really make sense, but in my head I always think of them a bit like Raveneau, they just seem to have a little extra bit of magic.

Luckily in Germany there is more than 1 Raveneau equivalent. Egon Muller, Donnhoff, Weil, even Keller that I do not personally care for is in a tier beyond others. There are a few more as well.

And plenty of others who in any given year will make 1-2 (or more) wines to match or trump them…

I really should have titled this thread: Seriously, when has Prum made a bad wine?

Adrian i agree off course (regarding hot/cooler vintages).
David: Brilliant vintage characterizations