Are there any big name Wine Critics you do trust?

Seems like most of the board doesn’t care or think much for Parker and Suckling, but are there any critics you actually enjoy hearing feedback from and/or base some of your buying on their scores?

Tanzer and Robinson seem to be the 2 that I look to occasionally when looking for some guidance.

I like to see what Gilman, Schildknecht, Kissack, Meadows and a few others have to say, but I can’t say that I take too much of their opinion to heart when actually buying. OTOH, just today was put off a purchase of a wine by CT notes.

Gilman is OK, but I think he blew it on 2011 red Burg. Buying based on what a critic says is probably not going to end well, unless you have the palate of a parrot. I always buy producers I trust, or taste first.

Mark Squires.

I know, I know, many here can’t stand him. I agree, on the other board he was a terror to say the least. But as a wine reviewer his coverage of Portugal has been one of the best I’ve seen for any major reviewer. Traveling regularly to the region and evaluating wines over 2 or 3 days to chart changes and to really get a true feel for the wine. How many major reviewers do that, I’d venture not many these days.

None.

I have more faith in people I run into here chatting about wines/flavors/opinions.

Ken V, except when it comes to that new world Nebbiolo shit! [highfive.gif]

Bill Klapp, except when it comes to that old world Nebbiolo shit! [highfive.gif]

Neal Martin is doing an excellent job.

In general I’m happy to read opinions and they may influence my buying decisions, but I’d not follow a single critic, and take anyone’s opinion as just that - an opinion. If I see someone ‘big up’ a wine, I won’t go scouring the shops for it, or make a mental note to keep an eye out for it. However if it’s something I’m thinking of buying as a taster bottle, or if there is an interesting lot at auction, then I’ll have a look in one of my books to see what was said, or CT (especially useful for auctions where the comments relate to the wine more recently than most critics).

I do try not to read the points, but in truth that is harder than I’d like. It would be much more preferable for me to have no scores, or the scores be in a smaller font. It is sadly too easy just to scan the score and treat the note as secondary, which is absolutely the wrong way round.

Amongst critics, who do I read?

Online: Geoff Kelly (NZ and older wines focus), Fine Wine Diary (Toby & Richard Bailey)
Book: DueMilaVini, older Gambero Rosso editions (but I can’t say I treat the reviews with any great respect), Jeremy Oliver (Australia), Michael Broadbent (Old wines), Hugh Johnson’s annual (for ideas of stuff to try in regions I know nothing about).

regards
Ian

+1. Dedicated, rigorous and intelligent- a good place to start… And self deprecating humor which is slightly rare in the reviewer community.

The only big name wine critic I trust is Frank Murray III.

Traveling regularly to the region and evaluating wines over 2 or 3 days to chart changes and to really get a true feel for the wine. How many major reviewers do that, I’d venture not many these days.

Our own Roy Hersh? [highfive.gif]

nobody does champagne like Brad…and I don’t think I’ve ever had a champagne he’s recommended that wasn’t on point. Roy Hersh is the man for port.

-paul

Sadat X.

I prefer FUF to points.

I’ve been very happy with Gilman’s reviews on Loire reds and Riesling, and his Bordeaux reviews are anything but boring. I will admit to buying a couple of cases of Loire reds recently based in part on Gilman’s reviews, and in part, on my history with the estates. Living in Florida, if you want to drink “out of the box” wines - i.e., anything but Cabs and Chards - you may need to take some leaps of faith based on anecdotal data such as ciritics’ reviews, CT, board commentary and past experience with the estate. I wish I had the luxury to taste first, but I don’t, well over 50% of my wine purchases are from out-of-state.

That said, I certainly do not blindy follow any critic, and am not really sure whether one critic matches up to all my palate preferences for all regions I target. Arguably Gilman is as close as that gets, but even then, I do not subscribe (perhaps I should). I have not subscribed to a critic’s publication since the late 1990s. I would also be remiss if I did not mention Chris Kissack, Wine Doctor. Until the pay-wall went up, that was a go-to site for me on all things Loire, and his write-ups on Bordeaux were great too. Solid palate.

+1 on Brad

I don’t take anyone’s reviews as gospel, but I read and value Galloni, Tanzer, Raynolds, D’Agata, Gilman, Schildknecht, and yes, Mark Squires.

I have always liked the rotating cast of characters at IWC - I focus on Italian wines, and with Tanzer, Galloni and D’Agata all now ensconced on Antonio’s site, hard not to enjoy that access. Ian in particular does a great job at ferreting out lesser-known Italian wines. Plus Josh provides useful “tracking services” for those less serious wines (like his annual Rose’ round-up).

In fact, for the rose’s, for the past two or three years I have literally “cross-referenced” his reviews to the Wine Library site and ordered two bottles each of various wines that were in stock where I liked Josh’s write-up. I know some folks say they never use a critic’s recommendation, but I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t have the time to research basic $15-20 a bottle purchases. I can’t say that Josh is infallible in that regard, but even if it turns out that I don’t end up liking a wine he recommended, it’s not like I’m buying a case of the stuff.

Bill Nanson for Burgundy although I do subscribe to Burghound for his database. Problem with Burghound is that they are all the usual suspects. Bill often hits new/unheralded producers and I wish he would expand on that. Was a Tanzer subscriber and am on the fence about Vinious. Perhaps I’ll take a stab. Champagne Warrior Brad is great info when he posts here but I have to admit to not pulling the trigger…yet. blush

I trust Meadows. This is a loaded question because people can always point to mistakes and scream heretic but in general our palates align.