Which wine purchases have severely backfired on you?

This could be a stash of premoxed Burgs, wines that collapsed in price, going long on wines that no longer interest you, etc.

[popcorn.gif]

Most of my purchases from WA State.
[stirthepothal.gif]

With the exception of C. Baron wines and some Betz.

Gourt de Mautens

1996 Zind Humbrecht Clos Windsbuhl chardonnay
2002 Huet Vouvray

Oh yeah…2002 Huet!

^ this, 1998 vintage. Also:

1996 Corton Charlemagne, Bonneau du Martray

2002 Chablis (various climats), William Fèvre

2007 CdP

Taken some fliers on stuff from LastBottle, Winebid, WTSO…
Regions and vintages that I like from producers that I am not familiar with. Lived to regret it.
Good grapes in the wrong hands can lead to bad wine.

This.

The worst buying decision in my 20+ years of wine appreciation. Easily 15+ cases.

Liked many '07 cotes du rhones on release, heard all the hype on the CDPs, then went long.

I have achieved a state of “hate” to characterize what I think of them.

I went deep on 1996 white Burgundies.

More from curiosity than anything else, can you elaborate a little on which producers/wines & what you didn’t like?

I would think the resale price would be some consolation.

It’s only a question of taste of course, but for me Bdx 03, undoubtedly, with few exceptions.

Plus a whole host of white Burgs - well, the 25% that have been premoxed.

2000 vintage X 6 bottles, all ended up DNPIM

I largely drank up my 2000 when it was young, so it was not too bad. My disaster was the 1998. I actually found a bottle of the '98 in my dad’s cellar. I have this morbid curiosity to have him open it.

Beat me to it.

What’s the story with Gourt de Mautens. Just looked up their website but never heard of it. A Parker blockbuster?

“The Gourt” got some hype around the 1997 vintage. Lots of folks bought the 1998, and it was a huge, inky monster that ultimately turned hopelessly volatile and nasty. It didn’t get huge scores, but was sort of a cult darling for a little while.

Behrens & Hitchcock. I’m beginning to conclude that my Quilcedas (at least the ones from 2000 forward) were a mistake as well.

Those 1990 Suduiraut 375s that got unloaded on America 10+ years ago. Good lord.