Clos de Vougeot -- Who Makes the Best?

This area has always been a bit of a minefield for me, so in general I’ve stayed away. I’ve had a very nice Drouhin, but really can’t say I’ve had a ton of others that were all that notable. Mostly because I’ve not tried a ton. Who would you say are the most reliable producers and is it an area worth diving into?

1 Like

From only my small sample over the years, favorites were: Hudelot-Noellat, Rene Engel & Jean Grivot. Never had Mugneret Gibourg, Meo Camuzet or Leroy though probably considered to be among the best.

Chateau de la Tour VV.
Dollar for dollar, the best.

I’ve had very good experiences with Hudelot Noellat, but like Gregg can’t comment on Leroy etc

This, plus Meo-Camuzet, Mugernet-Gibourg, and Engel (RIP) would be my list (I’m sure others qualify, but those are the ones I have tasted semi-regularly). The 61 Ch. de la Tour Chevalier de Tastevinage bottling was a life-changing wine for me.

I like Chateau de la Tour quite a bit but dollar for dollar to me…

Mugneret-Gibourg

I just wished it was cheaper.

Clearly Leroy. Hands down.

To answer the second part of the question, yes - perhaps not by diving, though. The Clos is much maligned, but the top examples are gorgeous stuff, and the second-tier wines are still semi-affordable and often very good. Drouhin and Jadot do very nice work here as well. I have had excellent mature Clos Frantin wines from here.

Depends on the style.

I like Jacques Prieur CDV and also the Perrot Minot (Ex Engel vines).

I wasn’t aware that the opinions were so favorable. I am obviously behind the times.

A 93 Jadot was excellent a couple of years ago, and older Grivot have given a lot of pleasure.

As others have stated. My votes are for

Leroy
Meo-Camuzet
Mugneret-Gibourg

And then I’d add the Chateau de la Tour VV as you can actually find it at stores!

But watch out for the Accad-era Chateau de la Tour CVs, which are no bueno.

1 Like

Was at an amazing horizontal of Clos Vougeout 2007 at the Clos Vougeout (followed by a great! concert by David Chan and his colleagues).

Mugneret-Gibourg was my favorite. I also greatly enjoyed Meo Camuzet. Leroy was surprisingly below median.

What do Leroy, Mugneret Gibourg, Hudelot Noellat, Meo, and Engel (the consensus favorites) all have in common? They all come from roughly the same part of the vineyard, on the upper slope right around the chateau, which I think is generally considered to be the best terroir. Chateau de la Tour has vines all over, but I think their old vines are in that sector as well.

So has anyone tried the Clos Vougeot from JJ Confuron, Drouhin-Laroze, or Mongeard-Mugneret? They also have vines in that part of the vineyard.

Confuron and Leroy, among others, have vines at the bottom of the vineyard too. There’s a school of thought that you need a soupcon of bottom-slope vines to make the best CV.

Different people has difference preference so it is not easy to conclude whose style is the best…specailly when we are talking about Burgundy wines.

That being said - it is a nice discussion and I love to read it. [cheers.gif]

BTW Leroy has many parcels ( 3?) in CdV

Ah, right about Leroy. JJ Confuron doesn’t, though – the Confuron with vines at the bottom is Confuron-Cotetidot, at least going by my map in the Jasper Morris book.

Not sure anybody has equaled the old Engels, Gibourg included, but I’ve been priced out of Gibourg for a few vintages now. Certainly a different style vs. Engel. Count me as another big fan of Chateau de la Tour.
I’ve had plenty of great CV’s from the bottom of the slope, too. Of course, a lot of the “bottom slope” plots like Jadot’s stretch pretty far uphill. And when you walk the vineyard yourself you get a sense of exactly how subtle a slope we’re talking about. Suffice to say it doesn’t look like Hermitage or the Mosel.

Gosh bless it way too much love here for the Chateau de la tour VV. I can see the price rising as we speak.