Clos de Vougeot -- Who Makes the Best?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
T. Altmayer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1 Post by T. Altmayer » January 15th, 2015, 5:55 pm

This area has always been a bit of a minefield for me, so in general I've stayed away. I've had a very nice Drouhin, but really can't say I've had a ton of others that were all that notable. Mostly because I've not tried a ton. Who would you say are the most reliable producers and is it an area worth diving into?
Tom

G. Greenbaum

#2 Post by G. Greenbaum » January 15th, 2015, 6:21 pm

From only my small sample over the years, favorites were: Hudelot-Noellat, Rene Engel & Jean Grivot. Never had Mugneret Gibourg, Meo Camuzet or Leroy though probably considered to be among the best.
Regards,
Gregg

ITB

Ian Dorin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Ian Dorin » January 15th, 2015, 6:25 pm

Chateau de la Tour VV.
Dollar for dollar, the best.
ITB

“I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted.” -WC Fields

Zachy's

Rauno E (NZ)

#4 Post by Rauno E (NZ) » January 15th, 2015, 6:28 pm

I've had very good experiences with Hudelot Noellat, but like Gregg can't comment on Leroy etc
Rauno Engel

jcoley3

#5 Post by jcoley3 » January 15th, 2015, 6:39 pm

Ian Dorin wrote:Chateau de la Tour VV.
This, plus Meo-Camuzet, Mugernet-Gibourg, and Engel (RIP) would be my list (I'm sure others qualify, but those are the ones I have tasted semi-regularly). The 61 Ch. de la Tour Chevalier de Tastevinage bottling was a life-changing wine for me.
Jim Coley ITB

"So I say, like Ortega y Gasset, that when a lot of people agree on something, it's either a stupid idea or a beautiful woman." - Alvaro Mutis

"You could spend a lot more money, and not get a better Burgundy...” - Carlo Rossi

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by dcornutt » January 15th, 2015, 6:41 pm

I like Chateau de la Tour quite a bit but dollar for dollar to me...

Mugneret-Gibourg

I just wished it was cheaper.
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

Dave Nerland

#7 Post by Dave Nerland » January 15th, 2015, 6:59 pm

Clearly Leroy. Hands down.

jcoley3

#8 Post by jcoley3 » January 15th, 2015, 7:13 pm

T. Altmayer wrote: Who would you say are the most reliable producers and is it an area worth diving into?
To answer the second part of the question, yes - perhaps not by diving, though. The Clos is much maligned, but the top examples are gorgeous stuff, and the second-tier wines are still semi-affordable and often very good. Drouhin and Jadot do very nice work here as well. I have had excellent mature Clos Frantin wines from here.
Jim Coley ITB

"So I say, like Ortega y Gasset, that when a lot of people agree on something, it's either a stupid idea or a beautiful woman." - Alvaro Mutis

"You could spend a lot more money, and not get a better Burgundy...” - Carlo Rossi

mdavis

#9 Post by mdavis » January 15th, 2015, 7:27 pm

Depends on the style.
m=m.a.r.k

Carlos Delpin

#10 Post by Carlos Delpin » January 16th, 2015, 2:48 am

I like Jacques Prieur CDV and also the Perrot Minot (Ex Engel vines).

Henry Kiichli
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Henry Kiichli » January 16th, 2015, 3:10 am

Ian Dorin wrote:Chateau de la Tour VV.
I wasn't aware that the opinions were so favorable. I am obviously behind the times.

A 93 Jadot was excellent a couple of years ago, and older Grivot have given a lot of pleasure.
"Police say Henry smelled of alcohol and acknowledged drinking a six-pack of Hamm’s beer with the hogs"

Peter Hirsch

#12 Post by Peter Hirsch » January 16th, 2015, 4:23 am

As others have stated. My votes are for

Leroy
Meo-Camuzet
Mugneret-Gibourg

And then I'd add the Chateau de la Tour VV as you can actually find it at stores!

D@v1dZ

#13 Post by D@v1dZ » January 16th, 2015, 5:29 am

But watch out for the Accad-era Chateau de la Tour CVs, which are no bueno.

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Barry L i p t o n » January 16th, 2015, 5:36 am

Was at an amazing horizontal of Clos Vougeout 2007 at the Clos Vougeout (followed by a great! concert by David Chan and his colleagues).

Mugneret-Gibourg was my favorite. I also greatly enjoyed Meo Camuzet. Leroy was surprisingly below median.

C 0 R E Y M.

#15 Post by C 0 R E Y M. » January 16th, 2015, 5:57 am

What do Leroy, Mugneret Gibourg, Hudelot Noellat, Meo, and Engel (the consensus favorites) all have in common? They all come from roughly the same part of the vineyard, on the upper slope right around the chateau, which I think is generally considered to be the best terroir. Chateau de la Tour has vines all over, but I think their old vines are in that sector as well.

So has anyone tried the Clos Vougeot from JJ Confuron, Drouhin-Laroze, or Mongeard-Mugneret? They also have vines in that part of the vineyard.
M = M i l l er

D@v1dZ

#16 Post by D@v1dZ » January 16th, 2015, 6:47 am

Corey Miller wrote:What do Leroy, Mugneret Gibourg, Hudelot Noellat, Meo, and Engel (the consensus favorites) all have in common? They all come from roughly the same part of the vineyard, on the upper slope right around the chateau, which I think is generally considered to be the best terroir. Chateau de la Tour has vines all over, but I think their old vines are in that sector as well.

So has anyone tried the Clos Vougeot from JJ Confuron, Drouhin-Laroze, or Mongeard-Mugneret? They also have vines in that part of the vineyard.

Confuron and Leroy, among others, have vines at the bottom of the vineyard too. There's a school of thought that you need a soupcon of bottom-slope vines to make the best CV.

Peter Chiu

#17 Post by Peter Chiu » January 16th, 2015, 7:00 am

Different people has difference preference so it is not easy to conclude whose style is the best.....specailly when we are talking about Burgundy wines.

That being said - it is a nice discussion and I love to read it. [cheers.gif]

BTW Leroy has many parcels ( 3?) in CdV

C 0 R E Y M.

#18 Post by C 0 R E Y M. » January 16th, 2015, 7:13 am

D. Zyl3rb3rg wrote:
Corey Miller wrote:What do Leroy, Mugneret Gibourg, Hudelot Noellat, Meo, and Engel (the consensus favorites) all have in common? They all come from roughly the same part of the vineyard, on the upper slope right around the chateau, which I think is generally considered to be the best terroir. Chateau de la Tour has vines all over, but I think their old vines are in that sector as well.

Confuron and Leroy, among others, have vines at the bottom of the vineyard too. There's a school of thought that you need a soupcon of bottom-slope vines to make the best CV.
Ah, right about Leroy. JJ Confuron doesn't, though -- the Confuron with vines at the bottom is Confuron-Cotetidot, at least going by my map in the Jasper Morris book.
M = M i l l er

Keith Levenberg

#19 Post by Keith Levenberg » January 16th, 2015, 7:25 am

Not sure anybody has equaled the old Engels, Gibourg included, but I've been priced out of Gibourg for a few vintages now. Certainly a different style vs. Engel. Count me as another big fan of Chateau de la Tour.
I've had plenty of great CV's from the bottom of the slope, too. Of course, a lot of the "bottom slope" plots like Jadot's stretch pretty far uphill. And when you walk the vineyard yourself you get a sense of exactly how subtle a slope we're talking about. Suffice to say it doesn't look like Hermitage or the Mosel.

Nick Gangas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Nick Gangas » January 16th, 2015, 7:35 am

Gosh bless it way too much love here for the Chateau de la tour VV. I can see the price rising as we speak.

C 0 R E Y M.

#21 Post by C 0 R E Y M. » January 16th, 2015, 7:52 am

Keith Levenberg wrote:Not sure anybody has equaled the old Engels, Gibourg included, but I've been priced out of Gibourg for a few vintages now. Certainly a different style vs. Engel. Count me as another big fan of Chateau de la Tour.
I've had plenty of great CV's from the bottom of the slope, too. Of course, a lot of the "bottom slope" plots like Jadot's stretch pretty far uphill. And when you walk the vineyard yourself you get a sense of exactly how subtle a slope we're talking about. Suffice to say it doesn't look like Hermitage or the Mosel.
I haven't walked the vineyard, but supposedly the effects as you go downslope aren't just about exposition; the soil character changes, with deeper soil, and less limestone and more clay, and the drainage isn't as good at the bottom. Not that you can't make great wine from there -- there are excellent lower-slope village and 1er cru wines in other villages (and even grand crus in Gevrey) -- but it would suggest that there's perhaps less potential for greatness.

That said, I'd rather have a downslope wine made by a great farmer/winemaker than an upslope wine made by a poor one. A tasting in the cellar of a good producer who has plots in various sectors (Meo or Leroy for example), if they fermented and elevaged them separately, would be veeeerry interesting.
M = M i l l er

Chris V.

#22 Post by Chris V. » January 16th, 2015, 7:58 am

I too have had good experiences with Chateau de la Tour. I don't mind mentioning it because it's already too expensive here anyways. The VV just came out for $350 in Ontario.

Not as many data points but I think Faiveley's is nice, but another one that is bigger $$$.

I was under the impression that Jacques Prieur's CdV was from interior terroir and didn't hit the heights of others but seeing is here has me wondering. Anyone had good experiences? If so which vintages? Keeping in mind it is now about $200 how does it compare to others?
V a n d e r m a r e l

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Jay Miller » January 16th, 2015, 7:59 am

I very much liked the '91 and '93 MM CV (only vintages I've had).
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Henry Kiichli
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Henry Kiichli » January 16th, 2015, 8:16 am

Anyone had a recent Anne Gros? Her bit is in prime real estate.
"Police say Henry smelled of alcohol and acknowledged drinking a six-pack of Hamm’s beer with the hogs"

Henry Kiichli
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Henry Kiichli » January 16th, 2015, 8:28 am

Just to give a visual. This is very detailed, but a bit out of date:

[resizeableimage=700,600]http://thevinofiles.typepad.com/the_vin ... ougeot.jpg[/resizeableimage]

http://thevinofiles.typepad.com/the_vin ... t-aoc.html

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Jay Miller » January 16th, 2015, 8:32 am

Henry Kiichli wrote:Anyone had a recent Anne Gros? Her bit is in prime real estate.
When we did our blind 2000 CV horizontal many years ago the Anne Gros was one of the least favorites due to all the oak. Unfortunately the notes are lost on the Parker board. If you have access you can find them there.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase

#27 Post by Richard T r i m p i » January 16th, 2015, 9:11 am

Jay Miller wrote:When we did our blind 2000 CV horizontal many years ago the Anne Gros was one of the least favorites due to all the oak.
Jay, the Anne Gros = Over-oaked reputation is a bit unfortunate (and not without evidence). I was surprised by a bottle of her 2003 CV Maupertui a few years ago. The oak was not overbearing and the ripeness was evident but not over the top. I won't argue that if her style aligned closer to that of the mesdames Mugneret, the wines would knock your socks off.

RT

todd waldmann
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by todd waldmann » January 16th, 2015, 10:31 am

Nick Gangas wrote:Gosh bless it way too much love here for the Chateau de la tour VV. I can see the price rising as we speak.
Yes. I was enjoying the focus on Engel, Meo & Leroy (not so much the Mugneret-Gibourg focus). Perhaps we can redirect the discussion away from Ch. de la Tour? [cheers.gif]
“Burgundy is, well, Burgundy. A minefield of potential disappointments beloved by elitists and pseudo-intellectuals who like to discuss ad nauseam growers and terroirs—not quality.” RMP

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Blake Brown » January 16th, 2015, 11:08 am

Dave Nerland wrote:Clearly Leroy. Hands down.
Without reading further, +1 unless there are other +s, then I`m + whatever.
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

PaulM

#30 Post by PaulM » January 16th, 2015, 2:28 pm

Henry Kiichli wrote:Anyone had a recent Anne Gros? Her bit is in prime real estate.
I don't think I've had anything more recent than 99 yet, but I very much like her CV - hers and Hudelot-Noellat are the two I keep an eye out for.
M a r q u a r d t

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Scott Brunson » January 16th, 2015, 3:17 pm

I've only had a few Leroy.
I'm a fan of Grivot. Also, Lamarche was really good a few years ago.

edit--An older Mongeard-Mugneret was the wine that had us smitten all those years ago.
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

Marc Frontario

#32 Post by Marc Frontario » January 16th, 2015, 5:14 pm

Last year a 1969 Gros frere was absolutely drop dead gorgeous
Find something you love....and let it kill u....Charles Bukowski
I cannot escape the ravages of this man....R.Alfert

Nick Gangas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Nick Gangas » January 16th, 2015, 5:42 pm

Meo makes a killer CV. So does Grivot.

:)

Todd Tucker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Todd Tucker » January 16th, 2015, 6:21 pm

I very much enjoy

Chateau de la tour esp the vv
M-g, but at US pricing, m-g is getting pretty tough.

maureen nelson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by maureen nelson » January 16th, 2015, 6:49 pm

Grivot's is great - and from the bottom of the slope.

Lee Short
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Lee Short » January 16th, 2015, 10:13 pm

Roumier, Mugneret-Gibourg, and Engels. These days, all are priced out of my range (or gone).

Mike During

#37 Post by Mike During » January 16th, 2015, 11:02 pm

01 Leroy is probably the best I have. The Gros Freres Musigni has the best terroir and shows Musigny silkiness, only wish it was under different hands - it could be a lot better than it is...
"Mike has hit a new low-water mark... I will, however, send Todd a generic indignant PM on my way out, just for good measure." - Barista Bill

Todd A. Christensen

#38 Post by Todd A. Christensen » January 16th, 2015, 11:16 pm

Based off of some old bottles (e.g., 1995). Millot. Fabutastic.

Eric Lundblad
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#39 Post by Eric Lundblad » January 16th, 2015, 11:22 pm

John Gilman wrote a fantastic article about Clos Vougeot, covering all the major topics/complaints people have about CV...disputing most/many of them. Well worth a read, esp if you're interested in CV. Need to be a subscriber to get access to it. The article is posted on cellar tracker (behind a subscriber wall), tho I don't recall exactly where. Perhaps someone else (John maybe, if he's reading this) knows and can post a link.
Ladd Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Nowell Karten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Nowell Karten » January 16th, 2015, 11:48 pm

Chris V. wrote:I was under the impression that Jacques Prieur's CdV was from interior terroir and didn't hit the heights of others but seeing is here has me wondering. Anyone had good experiences? If so which vintages? Keeping in mind it is now about $200 how does it compare to others?
The only vintage I've had is a 1996 (which I recently purchased for $100), and it was excellent. Here's my note:

1996 Jacques Prieur Clos de Vougeot
Bottle stood upright for 10 days. Gently decanted for sediment and poured back into its cleaned bottle, where it stood opened for 90 minutes; then re-corked and brought to dinner. Nose of barnyard funk and chocolate-covered cherries. Palate of decaying earth, game, and bright cherries; tannins are completely resolved, and the acid is well-balanced. This wine was outstanding and a true pleasure to drink. For me, it's probably at the beginning of its peak period.
In the little moment that remains to us between the crisis and the catastrophe,...

Nowell Karten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Nowell Karten » January 17th, 2015, 12:04 am

T. Altmayer wrote:Who would you say are the most reliable producers...?
I can't afford the best -- like Leroy and Mugneret-Gibourg -- but I've had excellent bottles from Grivot and Hudelot-Noellat. I've also had very good (and fairly priced!) bottles from Jadot, Faiveley, and recent vintages of Drouhin-Laroze.
In the little moment that remains to us between the crisis and the catastrophe,...

Lewis Dawson

#42 Post by Lewis Dawson » January 17th, 2015, 1:06 am

Hudelot-Noellat and Mugneret-Gibourg are my favorites, and these are from well placed upper slope parcels which, I believe, raises their potential in terms of refinement and harmony and perhaps also complexity. And for QPR, I have enjoyed Louis Jadot, from a lower parcel.

Clos de Vougeot is a fascinating cru and an under-rated one, a fertile ground for the adventurous value hunter who is not so risk-averse or concerned with the less glamorous appellation. Austere and structured in youth and wanting significant bottle age to lift the veil.
-- Lew --
Italian Bikes &
French Wines

Carlos Delpin

#43 Post by Carlos Delpin » January 17th, 2015, 1:33 am

Nowell Karten wrote:
Chris V. wrote:I was under the impression that Jacques Prieur's CdV was from interior terroir and didn't hit the heights of others but seeing is here has me wondering. Anyone had good experiences? If so which vintages? Keeping in mind it is now about $200 how does it compare to others?
The only vintage I've had is a 1996 (which I recently purchased for $100), and it was excellent. Here's my note:

1996 Jacques Prieur Clos de Vougeot
Bottle stood upright for 10 days. Gently decanted for sediment and poured back into its cleaned bottle, where it stood opened for 90 minutes; then re-corked and brought to dinner. Nose of barnyard funk and chocolate-covered cherries. Palate of decaying earth, game, and bright cherries; tannins are completely resolved, and the acid is well-balanced. This wine was outstanding and a true pleasure to drink. For me, it's probably at the beginning of its peak period.

Jacques Prieur has a cult following in Puerto Rico for some reason so we've been lucky to sample quite a bit of it. I've tasted most of the CDV vintages from Prieur from the 1980's, 1990's, and early 2000's and can recommend 1985, 1990, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1998, 2000-2005.

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by Barry L i p t o n » January 17th, 2015, 1:34 am

Drouhin-Laroze showed very well in the 2007 horizontal I mentioned anove.

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by Barry L i p t o n » January 17th, 2015, 1:37 am

Heard that the Chateau de la Tour takes longer to come around than some of the others. Are folks talking about older vintages?k

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by dcornutt » January 17th, 2015, 1:39 am

Barry,
The newer vintages are made in a much different style. The wines are really nice.
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

Gerhard P.

#47 Post by Gerhard P. » January 17th, 2015, 3:44 am

A week ago I attended a comprehensive Clos de Vougeot - tasting with 21 wines.

The best IMHO were (in no particular order):

Clos Frantin 1971
Charles Vienot 1959
Gros Frere & Soeur (Musigni) 1985
Jean Raphet 1972

Anne Gros (Grand Mauperui) 1999
JJ Confuron 2002
Robert Arnoux 2002
Thibault Liger-Belair 2005
Jean Tardy 2003

also excellent
Jean (=Michel) Gros 1994 (but a weak vintage)
Tortochot 1964
Hudelot-Noellat 2006

Gerard Raphet 2002 would have been fine, but was slightly corked,
Daniel Rion also corked, but not impressive initially.
Meo-Camuzet 1997 and Denis Mortet 2002 heavily corked.

Ok, but not special:
Confuron-Cotetidot 2005
Grivot 2001
L.Latour 1972
Haegelen-Jayer 1995

Mugneret-Gibourg 1998 disapointing (as many wines of this producer)

Earlier tasted - and very fine:
Leymarie 1964 (+++)
Jean Gros 1990/93/95
Engel 1991
Chateau de la Tour 2002

All in all most of the Clos Vougeots were on a very high and satisfying level, nothing to complain, and most not extremely pricy either.
No Leroy tasted this or last year, but sure it´s fine.

Usually all 3 Gros, Arnoux, JJ Confuron, Raphet, Hudelot-N ..... are always successful and top-producers.
I´m no Grivot-fan.
Meo was unfortunately corked - usually fine.
Last edited by Gerhard P. on January 17th, 2015, 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gerhard Pr@esent
composer / AT

Gerhard P.

#48 Post by Gerhard P. » January 17th, 2015, 3:46 am

Mike During wrote:01 Leroy is probably the best I have. The Gros Freres Musigni has the best terroir and shows Musigny silkiness, only wish it was under different hands - it could be a lot better than it is...
See my report above - Gros Frere & S 1985 was a relevation ... (tasted blind, great surprise)
Gerhard Pr@esent
composer / AT

paul hanna

#49 Post by paul hanna » January 17th, 2015, 4:44 am

Eugenie....

A Songeur

#50 Post by A Songeur » January 17th, 2015, 7:03 am

Paul,
Eugenie? This looks like infanticide as they have only be producing for a few years following Engel passing.

Puzzled by Gerhard about Mugneret Gibourg as I have never had it but everybody tells me they are wonderful (I have 3 bottles in cellar but too young (2006, 2011 and 2012).

I love Grivot Cols Vougeot 2002.
Antoine

Return to “Wine Talk”